Freaking Out About Costs!

helenk

So I am really starting to worry about costs......the past year I have been the only one working so we haven't saved anything at all, he just started a part time job - it's not much but it's something while he finishes school. Our families aren't contributing bc they don't have the money so it's all us. I know I'll be using my tax refund and I will be getting 60 hours of my PTO from work paid out to me in May which will all go towards the wedding. But I'm worried that we'll be broke leading up to the wedding and when we get home or not have enough to pay off everything. So far all we've done is put deposits down for the resort, photographer, and our travel package (which we bought insurance for, so I'm thinking of checking prices online in a few months to see if there's better deals and cancel our current package). Our travel quote was $3400 for the two of us for a week in Montego Bay in October all inclusive. We are in Houston.

Apart from the travel quote being pricy, I'm freaking out about paying for the wedding and photographer. Luckily I found my dress off the rack so it was only $415. Which I have like $300 to pay off for that. Then we haven't even bought his suit or whatever he will wear, accessories, invites haven't gone out yet. I really wanted to get our guests some kind of favor like a tumbler but I'm afraid we won't be able to afford it

Not having a bridal party was the best idea ever bc if I had to think about all of that too I would be even worse!

I'm trying to stay calm and pray everything works out but I'm just anxious that we won't be able to pay everything off before we leave and it'll be too late to cancel.

We are moving to a new apartment next month which will save us a few hundred dollars per month so I know I'll be able to save from that. And his job will free up some bills so I can save that money. I guess I'm just overthinking everything? Ahhhh!

I am still early in my planning, so still deciding what I will do. But, I have been working on our website and leaning toward not sending out invites because all the info is on the website. That might be one way for you to save some money.

• Like 1

Just breath it will all be okay! It is crazy how quick it adds up. If you haven't sent out STDs or invites the biggest way to cut down downs is guest list. I wish we were more selective with ours but weren't. It sounds like you have alot of big stuff out of the way. Have you set a budget? We have a savings account that we put money in each month and we do not touch it unless it's wedding stuff. Possibly do that if you haven't already. Saving each month helps lessen the blow what the end total amount. Good luck I know it's never any fun dealing with budget. 

• Like 2

I totally get you! We're sort of in the same position. Juan is still a student and will start working part time next month and full time in May, we just bought a house so basically all of my savings were put towards that. We might have to end up putting a thousand or two on my line of credit to pay off the wedding and just pay that off slowly after we come back. 

The main thing is setting a budget and really trying your hardest not to go over that. You might have to make sacrifices that don't feel great right now, but it will feel great to be debt free when you come back! :).

Are your trips refundable at all? I don't know if you're working with a travel agent but they can help out a lot. We paid about the same for our trips and from what I heard Jamaica is a bit more expensive than Mexico so you might be paying the average. I don't know if it's too late, but maybe talk with a travel agent and see if there is anything cheaper out there that you would still like, consider maybe changing location if possible. Of course, if your trips are non refundable, you might have to make the choice as to whether losing your deposit will save you a greater amount of money in the long run. 

The biggest thing to keep costs down is having less guests. How many were you thinking of having? Is there any way that list can be cut down? 

As for the invitations, there are some really nice ones you can buy online that are not very expensive. Another option could be sending electronic ones. Make the use of one of those free websites to communicate most of the information and keep the invites simple. 

Don't worry about welcome gifts. Most people don't expect them so just do as much as the budget allows. I wouldn't be offended if I don't get anything when I go to a DW. It's nice if you get something, but not the end of the world if you don't ;)

• Like 2

I think you can cut costs in a lot of areas. For one, maybe your TA has a deal that your stay is free if x amount of guests book? You can look into switching locations for one that offers free ceremonies. You can always have a semi private dinner and party at the nightclub later. Don't worry about favors I just went to a destination wedding where there weren't any and no noticed at all. DIY things you can, for instance raffia starfish for the aisles cost like 10-15$ per item and making mine is about 3-4 $ using coupons. You can make super cheap invites on vistaprint w their coupons and pass them out in person or at your wedding shower or something and people can rsvp online. You can go with simple decor with candles in dollar store vases. Definitely think of cutting the guest list too. Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Thanks ladies!

I am DIYing our invitations. I've already done the design I just have to print and mail them!

We probably won't do any favors, hearing that no one noticed makes me feel better if we decide not to have any.

Our guest list is probably going to be small - a lot of people can't go because of cost. Which upset me at first but now we're fine with it bc of the savings! Lol. I'm estimating 20-30 will end up booking.

We aren't adding a formal reception, we're only using what's included in our wedding package. Which includes the semi private dinner and cocktail hour. I read a brides review where she used one of the bars as a private reception of sorts before it opened to the public - for free! And she said it was gorgeous it had an area open to the outside so the space sounds perfect! I was only going off of my paperwork and to rent out the disco you need at least 30 guests and it's an extra like $400 I think including open bar. But if we could do the reception for free I'm all for that!

I may pick up some fabric for sashes for our ceremony and call it a day. Our ceremony will be on the beach so we don't need much decor. I do like the starfish idea for the chairs but if they're too pricey I'm not going to dwell on it. And I am not worried about centerpieces since we're not having a formal reception.

I just can't wait until everything is paid for! Then I can breathe!

Thanks for the support! It's nice to have a place to vent since none of my friends have done a destination wedding and my fiancée wanted to elope to begin with so he doesn't get it....lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks ladies!

I am DIYing our invitations. I've already done the design I just have to print and mail them!

We probably won't do any favors, hearing that no one noticed makes me feel better if we decide not to have any.

Our guest list is probably going to be small - a lot of people can't go because of cost. Which upset me at first but now we're fine with it bc of the savings! Lol. I'm estimating 20-30 will end up booking.

We aren't adding a formal reception, we're only using what's included in our wedding package. Which includes the semi private dinner and cocktail hour. I read a brides review where she used one of the bars as a private reception of sorts before it opened to the public - for free! And she said it was gorgeous it had an area open to the outside so the space sounds perfect! I was only going off of my paperwork and to rent out the disco you need at least 30 guests and it's an extra like $400 I think including open bar. But if we could do the reception for free I'm all for that!

I may pick up some fabric for sashes for our ceremony and call it a day. Our ceremony will be on the beach so we don't need much decor. I do like the starfish idea for the chairs but if they're too pricey I'm not going to dwell on it. And I am not worried about centerpieces since we're not having a formal reception.

I just can't wait until everything is paid for! Then I can breathe!

Thanks for the support! It's nice to have a place to vent since none of my friends have done a destination wedding and my fiancée wanted to elope to begin with so he doesn't get it....lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems that you're doing great with the savings so far :) 

• Like 1

There are some good suggestions listed above to help keep the costs controlled but going forward it is important to keep in mind:

there will be costs incurred that you don't anticipate - there always are.  So be forewarned to anticipate this.

Carefully read your travel insurance policy so that you don't void the terms if making changes.  This may not occur but insurance policies are very specific and many people have very unrealistic ideas about what coverage is provided and what they can do just because they have purchased insurance.

• 2 weeks later...