• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bitbitz

bitbitz
  • 6 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 6, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Riviera Cancun

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

I just came back from Cancun/Riviera Maya resort site visits (6 resorts) and was disappointed by the amount of seaweed I saw at the beaches. As much effort as the crew takes to clean up the seaweed, it was still no where near as perfect as the pictures that i see on their hotel site/wedding pictures. I was wondering if anyone know what time of year has least seaweed or if anyone has recommendations which resorts to look at for nice beaches (for beach wedding). Dreams Riviera Cancun is gorgeous and I really want to have my wedding there, but I saw many comments/review about the seaweed at their beach, so I'm really concerned.

#2 nattiegams325

nattiegams325
  • 228 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 23, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Riviera Cancun

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

The Iberostar complex has a beautiful beach except the grand (rocky). But they're not the greatest for weddings. I'm having my wedding at dreams Riviera Cancun, and I know, the only thing I'm not thrilled about is the amount of seagrass. It doesn't bother me too much though, and they do try their best to pick it up daily. I've heard great things about secrets Maroma beach, but it is adults only and expensive.

#3 LauraM

LauraM
  • 232 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 1, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace, Cancun Mexico

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:37 AM

I've stayed in Cancun (hotel zone) in May for 4 years in a row and have never seen much seaweed. But then again I don't know if it has anything to do with the time of year or if we just got lucky w our resort choices.

#4 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

I've stayed in cancun at the Riu hotels and grand Parnassus and haven't seen much seaweed, you'd think it almost doesn't pile up overnight because the beach was always spotless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

event.png

#5 JoannaBanana

JoannaBanana
  • 319 posts
    • LocationEtobicoke

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

I've heard this is a bad year for seaweed?  Can anyone confirm/deny? 

My Planning Thread (Grand Sirenis 05.12.16)http://www.bestdesti...-grand-sirenis/<p>

weight.png
    event.png

#6 hellosassypants

hellosassypants
    • 146 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 17, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Cancun, Mexico
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:11 AM

Oh dang, I didn't realize the seaweed has gotten bad. This was the most recent review on Trip Advisor. http://www.tripadvis..._Peninsula.html

http://mission-blue....-the-caribbean/

N&C

April 17, 2015

Gran Caribe Real (Cancun, Mexico)

Including Bride & Groom: 22 guests (19 adults & 3 children)

#7 lydiasusi

lydiasusi
    • 73 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

is this really what deters people from where to get married?  If yes, plan on spending big bills at yes, such places as Secrets Maroma.

I'm a secrets capri, there is seaweed.... but since living in So cal, I have noticed that's what happens when you're by the ocean.... you see seaweed, seagulls, and sharks. 

#8 emmapalmer

emmapalmer
      • 64 posts
      • Wedding Date:January 15, 2015
      • Wedding Location:Occidental Grand Xcaret - Riviera Maya
      • LocationPhoenix

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

What a yucky feeling. Stepping on seaweed. :wacko:

I didn't see any in the small man-made beach at Occidental Grand Xcaret - Riviera Maya. However, there were plenty piled allong the rocky areas of the shore.

Our perfect wedding in the Riviera Maya.

Date:                  01/15/2015

Resort:               Occidental Grand Xcaret - Riviera Maya, Mexico
      Guests:              70-80
      Package:           Custom

Dress:                David's Bridal
      Minister:             Family Friend

Photographer:    Decordova Photography ( www.decordova.ca )

#9 JoannaBanana

JoannaBanana
      • 319 posts
        • LocationEtobicoke

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:41 AM

is this really what deters people from where to get married? If yes, plan on spending big bills at yes, such places as Secrets Maroma.

I'm a secrets capri, there is seaweed.... but since living in So cal, I have noticed that's what happens when you're by the ocean.... you see seaweed, seagulls, and sharks.

I'm personally just wondering because I don't remember a lot of seaweed in past visits and I'm seeing these comments in a lot of reviews as severe as saying not many people were swimming in the ocean. It is a factor for me yes, when deciding between Jamaica, Mexico and Dominican. A game changer? Probably not, but a factor. I'm asking my guests to enjoy their vacation at a place I select. So I want to ensure that I do the best I can picking the spot. That takes in to consideration the pools, the beach, the food, the price.

My Planning Thread (Grand Sirenis 05.12.16)http://www.bestdesti...-grand-sirenis/<p>

weight.png
        event.png

#10 starbx123

starbx123
        • 32 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:32 PM

I'm personally just wondering because I don't remember a lot of seaweed in past visits and I'm seeing these comments in a lot of reviews as severe as saying not many people were swimming in the ocean. It is a factor for me yes, when deciding between Jamaica, Mexico and Dominican. A game changer? Probably not, but a factor. I'm asking my guests to enjoy their vacation at a place I select. So I want to ensure that I do the best I can picking the spot. That takes in to consideration the pools, the beach, the food, the price.

I've heard the same thing: bad year for seaweed in Mayan riviera. It's a factor for us too but unfortunately too late to change our location now. We're hoping the beach is still swimable and that they clear the seaweed for our beach-front wedding!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beach Weddings, Cancun Riviera Maya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users