Kcole123 Planning Thread - April 17, 2015 - Melia Caribe Tropical

OMG girls. Shit is getting real now. I just spoke with a Justice of the Peace to make arrangements for our legal marriage before we leave for Dominican. She is going to email the information and then I let her know the date and time I want.  I feel so guilty doing this without my family knowing but this is how we wanted it in the beginning in order to have people come to our "wedding" down south. I am trying not to think of it as a big deal to get married here and have our wedding down in Punta Cana as our official wedding. I just think of it as the paperwork here. I don't want a big deal made of the one we are having here it's just to get the process started for our down south wedding.

• Like 2

OMG girls. Shit is getting real now. I just spoke with a Justice of the Peace to make arrangements for our legal marriage before we leave for Dominican. She is going to email the information and then I let her know the date and time I want.  I feel so guilty doing this without my family knowing but this is how we wanted it in the beginning in order to have people come to our "wedding" down south. I am trying not to think of it as a big deal to get married here and have our wedding down in Punta Cana as our official wedding. I just think of it as the paperwork here. I don't want a big deal made of the one we are having here it's just to get the process started for our down south wedding.

That's exactly how i felt when we booked ours. Up until now it was just a party, now there's real legal stuff going on! haha 

Don't feel bad, a lot of people take it as just a formality to get married before. We basically had no choice because my mom would have been beyond offended. I tried to tell her that we didn't want to make a big deal out of it and she seemed so insulted haha. She was like "well that's the one that counts!". Anyway, I had to put some limits because she would have actually planned a whole event if I let her. i told her that I basically have $300 for this thing including the officiant but she still wants to push for all these details.

Do you think it would be a big deal for your family to not be there? Now i know my mom would have been super mad if I had gotten married behind her back hahah. It's just our parents and siblings for that day. If you're in doubt, they already paid for the wedding so they can't back out, you could always tell them and just have them over for the legal part :), even if it's nothing fancy. 

Yeah I don't know. We are also across the Country from any friends or family too which makes it harder. They are in Newfoundland and I am in Alberta. SO for witnesses, the officiate said she could provide them for us if need be. I would rather do that because the couple of people I have met since we moved here, I wouldn't ask just because we aren't that close. Just acquaintances. And I think it would start making it feel like more of a deal if we had witnesses we knew....lol

As I've said we didn't tell anyone. We looked at it as a requirement to make Mexico legal. I have a close coworker I asked and her boyfriend. She was invited to the wedding but couldn't come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@@calgarybride2015

I am deciding on April 6th to get married legally here. That is exactly a week before we depart. What do you think? Think that is good or should I give it more time in between?

I did it exactly a week before we departed too.    We didn't exchange rings, didn't say vows (only what we had to say to legally marry), we didn't wear our bands after or reference each other has husband/wife.  It was literally just a technicality for us - but we made it that way!    Since you won't be eager to do anything like name changes, etc. until you come home I don't think you need to do it sooner than that!

Yeah I don't know. We are also across the Country from any friends or family too which makes it harder. They are in Newfoundland and I am in Alberta. SO for witnesses, the officiate said she could provide them for us if need be. I would rather do that because the couple of people I have met since we moved here, I wouldn't ask just because we aren't that close. Just acquaintances. And I think it would start making it feel like more of a deal if we had witnesses we knew....lol

that makes total sense. Sorry I for some reason I thought your family lived in the same city. I'd probably do the same as you :)

I think a week is perfect! Yeah we're not really doing anything fancy either. I'm basically just pleasing my mom, but we don't do any vows either or anything. We might "exchange rings" for a picture, but then taking them off ahah. We're doing it two days before we leave. Does it have to be 100% legalized by the time we leave? I guess I should have asked that before haha. 

I'm getting married legal in Newfoundland this summer so my two Nan's can feel like they were a part of it. It's just me, my FI, our parents and my Nan's. I'm going to have to get semi dressed up cuz she's going to want a nice picture. His parents are really old as well ...same as age as my Nan's so just in case something happens and they can't go we have it covered...

If it weren't for my nan I would just do it here in city hall with just a random witness in my jeans... Lol.

My real wedding is in Punta Cana ... That's the date that I will use for my anniversary... However my WC requires a legal marriage certificate to do our symbolic wedding... Not sure why but I guess I should have it by Nov.

Edited by Meandhim

@

Yeah I ordered my wrist coils but haven't got them yet. Hopefully they arrive tomorrow. I am always anxious when I order things. I want it like ASAP....haha Yeah I have been winging it until the point where you can't no more. I kind of been neglecting the budget until it came time to actually sit down and find out what it is you have to pay. When you get closer to the date you will start to figure all that out. You still have a few months away so don't stress about it yet.

@@Meandhim

Yeah I keep saying to Nathan "this wedding we are having here, just pretend it's not real." "just think of it as paperwork that we have to complete before going down south." I really don't want a big deal either. I will most likely not be wearing anything too fancy just because I don't want it to feel like a big deal. Even though it is I suppose...lol but Punta Cana is our wedding date and our anniversary date.

• Like 1

that makes total sense. Sorry I for some reason I thought your family lived in the same city. I'd probably do the same as you :)

I think a week is perfect! Yeah we're not really doing anything fancy either. I'm basically just pleasing my mom, but we don't do any vows either or anything. We might "exchange rings" for a picture, but then taking them off ahah. We're doing it two days before we leave. Does it have to be 100% legalized by the time we leave? I guess I should have asked that before haha.

I wore jeans lol

Nothing in Canada has to be legalized for your symbolic abroad. They don't ask nor care :) They just don't recommend you go and legally change your name because you need your passport and travel documents to match for ease of flying.