Kcole123 Planning Thread - April 17, 2015 - Melia Caribe Tropical

@@calgarybride2015

Well Nathan said that the doctor gave him the antibiotic first and will give him the a anti viral on Monday if it's the shingles. I don't know if she did tests or not.

I don't know why she just didn't give him the anti viral medication for precaution just in case it is the shingles. But I am no doctor and nor do I work in the health field. So I have no idea. I just hope it's not shingles from what I have been reading.

@@calgarybride2015

Well Nathan said that the doctor gave him the antibiotic first and will give him the a anti viral on Monday if it's the shingles. I don't know if she did tests or not.

I don't know why she just didn't give him the anti viral medication for precaution just in case it is the shingles. But I am no doctor and nor do I work in the health field. So I have no idea. I just hope it's not shingles from what I have been reading.

@@pddcmc

I have never had the chicken pox. I read this last night. Eeeeeeek

The dictator have him some pills and cream.

The cream is called (well written on the tube anyway) Taro-Mupirocin and is medication is Novo-Lexin or Cephalexin not really sure. Just going by what's on the bottle and both are there.

I'm an adult critical care nurse (I hardly remember much about babies and birth control, thanks for the advice @@calgarybride2015 :)).

Anyway, those meds are antibiotics (abx), which won't do much if it is in fact shingles, except prevent a potential infection. but that is itself is an issue because if it isn't a bacterial infection, then he is just on an abx... and the threshold lowers and abx become less effective for that person overt time (if used often). (but, again, that's a different issue). 

@@kcole123 You should consider getting the chickenpox vaccine if you haven't had it yet...

*note: this is not intended to scare you, but just to inform/educate you (if needed)

for one, chickenpox is MUCH worse for adults - healing time, how the adult immune system reacts, etc

two, if your FI has shingles now (or even if it doesn't at this time, but has an outbreak later) the varicella zoster (chickenpox)

can be spread via the "fluid" from the open blisters to a person who doesn't have immunity. thus, the non-immune person will develop chickenpox (not shingles [aka herpes zoster - *different strand than genital herpes*] - shingles is the reactivation of the chickenpox virus)

and finally, if you plan on getting pregnant, you cannot be in contact with someone active with the virus (fluid-filled blisters) because of the risk of catching chickenpox (again, this is is you don't have some kind of immunity). chickenpox while pregnant can lead to infection or birth defects.

so, what can you do to protect yourself if you don't want the vaccine?

1. GOOD HAND HYGIENE

2. do not come in contact with the fluid from the blisters

3. get a titer drawn (blood test that checks antibodies) to see if you have any kind of immunity 

I think antivirals are a gift! let me explain -

although they do not "cure" the virus, the greatly alleviate symptoms and slow the virus down. in fact, my dr wrote me a script for one just in case because I am very prone to cold sores (fever blisters - whatever you want to call them) when I'm stressed (esp when I travel)... the last thing I want is a big, painful blister on my lip during my wedding!

let me know if you have any questions. i hope this helps!

Edited by pddcmc
  • Like 1

Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear this! I really hope that if he's had it before maybe his body has some antibodies and it won't be as bad this time around so he can feel better sooner. I don't know anything and maybe it doesn't work like that with viruses. 

I would go to a walk in clinic and get some antiviral. It might be too late but it's worth a try. I find that when taking antivirals it's crucial that you take it as soon as you can. Once the virus takes over the cells there's no much choice but to let it run its course. That's usually how it works with my cold sores at least, I don't know if it's the same with shingles. Have you tried also dabbing some tea tree oil on the rash? It might help with the swelling and pain. That's what I use for cold sores too :). It also helps to stop the virus a little and even though I can feel it underneath the cold sore doesn't quite come out.  I know they're very different viruses but just some ideas that perhaps could work. 

I really hope he feels better soon. Sending some positive energy your way. 

I'm an adult critical care nurse (I hardly remember much about babies and birth control, thanks for the advice @@calgarybride2015 :)).

Anyway, those meds are antibiotics (abx), which won't do much if it is in fact shingles, except prevent a potential infection. but that is itself is an issue because if it isn't a bacterial infection, then he is just on an abx... and the threshold lowers and abx become less effective for that person overt time (if used often). (but, again, that's a different issue). 

@@kcole123 You should consider getting the chickenpox vaccine if you haven't had it yet...

*note: this is not intended to scare you, but just to inform/educate you (if needed)

for one, chickenpox is MUCH worse for adults - healing time, how the adult immune system reacts, etc

two, if your FI has shingles now (or even if it doesn't at this time, but has an outbreak later) the varicella zoster (chickenpox)

can be spread via the "fluid" from the open blisters to a person who doesn't have immunity. thus, the non-immune person will develop chickenpox (not shingles [aka herpes zoster - *different strand than genital herpes*] - shingles is the reactivation of the chickenpox virus)

and finally, if you plan on getting pregnant, you cannot be in contact with someone active with the virus (fluid-filled blisters) because of the risk of catching chickenpox (again, this is is you don't have some kind of immunity). chickenpox while pregnant can lead to infection or birth defects.

so, what can you do to protect yourself if you don't want the vaccine?

1. GOOD HAND HYGIENE

2. do not come in contact with the fluid from the blisters

3. get a titer drawn (blood test that checks antibodies) to see if you have any kind of immunity 

I think antivirals are a gift! let me explain -

although they do not "cure" the virus, the greatly alleviate symptoms and slow the virus down. in fact, my dr wrote me a script for one just in case because I am very prone to cold sores (fever blisters - whatever you want to call them) when I'm stressed (esp when I travel)... the last thing I want is a big, painful blister on my lip during my wedding!

let me know if you have any questions. i hope this helps!

You and me both with the cold sores! haha I always get them when I travel from the sun and also from stress (both checks on the wedding haha). I agree that the antiviral works wonders in terms of stopping the virus and  alleviating the symptoms. I'm planning on getting a prescription and start taking them a couple of days before we leave. Also, I swear by the powers of tea tree oil. If you catch it soon enough (at the tingling stage) the cold sore will not come out at all. Even if you have one blister and you put it on it will stop it right there and it won't get bigger at least. You might feel it underneath but no one will be able to see it :)

Yeah I was actually thinking about getting vaccinated. I read it somewhere hahaha.

Nathan is resting today and hopefully all weekend. He gets up every now and then to play a video game then goes and lies down...haha the rash or the red blotches on his neck doesn't look too bad today. Maybe that cream is helping? Here's to hoping.

I pick up my wedding dress tomorrow, my second wedding dress I will pick up next week.

We are legally getting married in 3 days. Crazy hey?? But that to us, is just the steps to have our wedding in Punta Cana. We will be celebrating our anniversaries with the Punta Cana date. No one knows about our Legal wedding here in Canada in three days. Well only my BDW gals.

• Like 2

Yeah I was actually thinking about getting vaccinated. I read it somewhere hahaha.

Nathan is resting today and hopefully all weekend. He gets up every now and then to play a video game then goes and lies down...haha the rash or the red blotches on his neck doesn't look too bad today. Maybe that cream is helping? Here's to hoping.

I pick up my wedding dress tomorrow, my second wedding dress I will pick up next week.

We are legally getting married in 3 days. Crazy hey?? But that to us, is just the steps to have our wedding in Punta Cana. We will be celebrating our anniversaries with the Punta Cana date. No one knows about our Legal wedding here in Canada in three days. Well only my BDW gals.

Crossing fingers for him!!!

Congrats on the legal marriage in 3 days. We only told a few people too - the ones who witnessed then a few friends at work :)  YAY!!!

@@calgarybride2015

The lady performing our ceremony actually said she could provide witnesses. So that was good for us. If we can't have close friends as witnesses (because none of them live near here), we will have complete strangers. haha

• Like 4

After two hours of roaming the isles of Michaels (these is after the dollar store) I finally found something I could use as name place holders. I get so frustrated in craft stores because I ain't that crafty.

But these are perfect because there isn't much creativity needed. Just write the names on the flags and place on the straw.

I am hoping the boat people can place them maybe in a glass of water or something before we board and if they can't place them then I will get my maid of honour to do it real quick. I have the table seatings done up on paper. It's just a matter of following that.

post-277264-0-95907300-1428182350_thumb.jpg

• Like 7