Newbie! Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas, April 2015

FutureMrsDiehl

Hello fellow brides to be!

My name is Amanda and I have been engaged for 14 months and will be married on the 28th of April, 2015 at the RIU Palace Cabo San Lucas.

I have so many stresses and so many questions and I am SO new to forums/boards that I don't really know where to start, so I hope I'm doing this right! (Please be patient with me!)

I've been working with a complimentary wedding planner from Sunwing/Signature Vacations names Antoinette. She is very hard to get a hold of, but she's very knowledgeable when we communicate.

So far, I have chosen the Royal Package (up to 20 guests, including the B&G), I have been in contact with the reverend and have planned out our ceremony (which will be on the beach). I'm now at the point where my wedding invitations have been sent and I'm waiting on the RSVPs to come in. We have a total of 32 confirmed, booked guests, with 28 maybes....so I really need those RSVPs to come back! 

My FI and I are set on the dinner location and reception location, but we were told that if we have over 40 guests, we have to pay for a private reception. We really don't want to do this, because according to their min/max capacity, the ONLY option we'd have for dinner is the Mexican Restaurant, and although we will be in Mexico, fajitas and bean burritos don't scream "wedding food"...we're wanting steak and lobster, which is why we initially chose the steakhouse....but this seems to be throwing a wrench in our plans.

For the reception we're opting for renting out La Pascha, their discotheque. For $660USD it includes DJ and Open Bar, so we figured that's the best way to go....although, I can't seem to find any pictures or videos or anything posted from anyone who has had their reception at Pascha...so if any of you know where I can find this info or can speak of it first hand, I'd love to hear from you!

I have a friend who got married last year at the Santa Fe and had her reception on the beach... I think that would be awesome! But kind of expensive, and we're trying not to go into too much debt from our wedding. 

There are so many little details to plan out and it's starting to stress me out! I opted for a DW to avoid having to make these little decisions...but it seems there's no escaping them, lol

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, and hope to hear from you!

Welcome and congrats! It does sound like you have things well in hand. Have you read through any of the reviews for the Riu in Cabo? I know there have been several brides here that were married there. Definitely check through the Review section or type it in in the search bar up top. Odds are you'll find the info you're looking for. This site is great for information and all of the ladies are super for answering with info that they might have. You could also try the gallery for photos - there might be something there.

DWs can be just as complicated and/or expensive as having a wedding in your hometown but you can't beat getting married in paradise! With your "maybes" I would definitely set a time limit for them to respond, and let them know what that is. There will come a point where you will drive yourself crazy if you allow it to drag on too long. Most people find they end up with about half or less of the number they were expecting to attend.

Good luck and happy planning!

• Like 1

welcome!

We will also be getting married at the Riu Palace in Cabo! I am really looking forward to it.

I was new to this site a few weeks ago but the warm welcome i recieved and all the ideas and inspiration i have had has been amazing!

good luck and does hesitate to ask if you have any questions!!!!

-Steph

welcome to BDW!!!

@@acw271011 has it right! it can be as complicated/expensive (or not) as you want it to be. 

most DW hardcore planning with the resort starts about 90 days out from your wedding. I'd definitely use the forums here to get more info about the resorts and your options, but try not to stress about longer response times right now. you have some of the big decisions made, and the rest is details. Riu is very used to weddings, and I have no doubt that it'll all come together beautifully for you. 

Welcome and congrats! It does sound like you have things well in hand. Have you read through any of the reviews for the Riu in Cabo? I know there have been several brides here that were married there. Definitely check through the Review section or type it in in the search bar up top. Odds are you'll find the info you're looking for. This site is great for information and all of the ladies are super for answering with info that they might have. You could also try the gallery for photos - there might be something there.

DWs can be just as complicated and/or expensive as having a wedding in your hometown but you can't beat getting married in paradise! With your "maybes" I would definitely set a time limit for them to respond, and let them know what that is. There will come a point where you will drive yourself crazy if you allow it to drag on too long. Most people find they end up with about half or less of the number they were expecting to attend.

Good luck and happy planning!

Hello fellow brides to be!

My name is Amanda and I have been engaged for 14 months and will be married on the 28th of April, 2015 at the RIU Palace Cabo San Lucas.

I have so many stresses and so many questions and I am SO new to forums/boards that I don't really know where to start, so I hope I'm doing this right! (Please be patient with me!)

I've been working with a complimentary wedding planner from Sunwing/Signature Vacations names Antoinette. She is very hard to get a hold of, but she's very knowledgeable when we communicate.

So far, I have chosen the Royal Package (up to 20 guests, including the B&G), I have been in contact with the reverend and have planned out our ceremony (which will be on the beach). I'm now at the point where my wedding invitations have been sent and I'm waiting on the RSVPs to come in. We have a total of 32 confirmed, booked guests, with 28 maybes....so I really need those RSVPs to come back! 

My FI and I are set on the dinner location and reception location, but we were told that if we have over 40 guests, we have to pay for a private reception. We really don't want to do this, because according to their min/max capacity, the ONLY option we'd have for dinner is the Mexican Restaurant, and although we will be in Mexico, fajitas and bean burritos don't scream "wedding food"...we're wanting steak and lobster, which is why we initially chose the steakhouse....but this seems to be throwing a wrench in our plans.

For the reception we're opting for renting out La Pascha, their discotheque. For $660USD it includes DJ and Open Bar, so we figured that's the best way to go....although, I can't seem to find any pictures or videos or anything posted from anyone who has had their reception at Pascha...so if any of you know where I can find this info or can speak of it first hand, I'd love to hear from you!

I have a friend who got married last year at the Santa Fe and had her reception on the beach... I think that would be awesome! But kind of expensive, and we're trying not to go into too much debt from our wedding. 

There are so many little details to plan out and it's starting to stress me out! I opted for a DW to avoid having to make these little decisions...but it seems there's no escaping them, lol

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, and hope to hear from you!

@@FutureMrsDiehl Welcome to the forum!  I am also planning my wedding at the Riu Palace and I know there are a couple other girls.  This is a great place for ideas and obtaining information about venues.  I joined a couple months ago and have read many reviews and feeds on the Riu Palace which helped with picking the resort. 

To answer your question about Club Pacha, I have seen pictures after searching on Google and on YouTube there are some videos.  It is shown when it is a regular club and not set up as a private event so you might want to ask Ana Maria the WC for details.  Since all private events end at 11 PM at the Riu, I'm planning on having our guests go to the club to keep the party going.

In order to finalize your reception site, it sounds like you to hear back from the guests that said maybe.

I totally understand what you mean about the restaurants.  I would like to have a private reception at the steakhouse, but with our expected number of guests. we maybe be over 40 which is the max for Don Julio Terrance and below the min (100) to close the whole restaurant.  Right now we're reserved for Baja Norte.

MelissaH113 recently wrote an awesome review of her Nov wedding and she has been very helpful in answering questions I had.  Good luck with the planning and we're here for you!  

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome!!!

I am also a Riu Palace bride who is also very new to this whole wedding planning scene!!!

I was estimating we would have over 40 guests. We are giving our guests 16 months notice and have had alot of complaints about this so I am now assuming our 40 guests may just be 20.

I would love to hear all your ideas :D

PM if you want to chat and share ideas!!!

Steph

Welcome to the forum, FutureMrsDiehl and Congrats on your RUI Cabo San Lucas wedding in April!!!

As you've already seen, there are wonderful resources here to help with your planning decisions, so well done :)

Wishing you happy research, and all the best with your plans - enjoy your journey!!! team MTM :)

10608633_10152626440284487_6175377033029

Edited by Moments That Matter

• 1 month later...

Hey there just wondering if you could please share the 2015 pricing for the Riu. I have the 2014 but I just want to start creating a more accurate budget for our wedding. 

Thank you

Hi Amanda!!

Welcome to the forums :) I see you are from Victoria, me too! Your wedding is coming up so soon! you must be so excited. My wedding isn't until next year (either Jan or Feb 2016) and we are getting married at the Riu Santa Fe.. We are still waiting on some quotes to come through but I'm hoping to be booked by April 1st.  We wanted the palace but we love the idea that kids stay free at the Santa Fe as a lot of my cousins and sister have young kids. Are you flying from Victoria or do you have to fly from Vancouver? Who are you flying with and how much are your guests paying per person if you don't mind me asking?

I can't help you with any of your questions as I am so early on in the planning process. Try searching "Riu Palace Cabo" on this site and go through the forums for the resort. I have found so much information by doing this and am so grateful to have found this site. The ladies on here are very supportive and helpful. I have also read in a few reviews to try and relax and let things just fall into place as they seem to just work out perfectly the way you want them. The Riu hotels have a great reputation and I think you will be really happy with the way you wedding turns out one way or another!!

Devon :)