My fiance and I were originally scheduled to have our wedding of ~100 guests at the Hilton Los Cabos on October 25, 2014. Unfortunately Hurricane Odile hit 5 weeks before our wedding date, and we were forced to cancel it. As added insult to injury, we found out our wedding was officially cancelled from our guests who had received cancellation emails from the Hilton, before we were even notified.
After much deliberation, we decided to keep everything the same and just push out the date. We did this both to ease the burden on us as well as the people of Cabo who were displaced and their livelihoods largely compromised from the impact of the hurricane. We worked with the Hilton to schedule a new date: May 9th, 2015. We had all of our vendors switch the dates, informed our guests and had a new reservations site for them to book their stay, which many of them already have along with their flights.
Today, we just received an email that now the reopening of the hotel won't be until June 1st, 2015, meaning they can not host our wedding. We're beyond devastated and heartbroken, a second time around. What was supposed to be a lovely, quiet Christmas is now a somber scramble to figure out how to put the pieces back together.
I'm still reeling from shock and completely at a loss for what to do next, so I wanted to post here to hopefully get some feedback and advice from others who can probably think more clearly right now. Our thinking is we have to keep the same date and location of Cabo, since so many guests have already booked their flights, and unlike previously with the Hurricane, will not be able to get refunds for their tickets, and many of our wedding party also has had to make huge sacrifices to be available on these dates. Also, we expect now that this cancellation is the result of the resort and not a natural disaster, people are going to be much less flexible in terms of moving things around. I'm hoping for the advice of all / any of you on some of the following:
- We had chosen the Hilton because it was elegant, but the cost / room was still reasonable for our guests. We had a group rate of $169/night. Does anyone have any advice for other resorts that are of a similar standard? Looking online it seems that any other resort that is on par with the Hilton as far as quality and and beauty costs at least $300/night. (We're also very aware that many of the Cabo resorts will likely be booked already for a Spring wedding, which only adds to our complication)
- We have all of the vendors booked (and rebooked) but I'm concerned that alternative resorts may not allow us to keep the same vendors because they have 'vendor lists'. Has anyone had a similar experience as this? Are resorts willing to waive these types of constraints in the face of extenuating circumstances? I'm concerned a lot of the money we've put down for deposits may be lost for good, but am hoping that's not the case
- Though previously I wasn't planning on using one, I'm entertaining the thought of hiring a wedding planner to help us navigate some of the ambiguity. Any thoughts / experiences with this? If you think it's a good idea, any recommendations?
- Any alternative thoughts / ideas / etc. of what we can or should do? Any ideas are welcome
Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer, and my apologies for any typos as my eyes are swollen half shut from all the crying :-(