Thanks for all the great responses! This is what I put on my wedding website as of now, but I've already changed it so I'm sure it'll evolve!

"Beach chic attire. Shoes are optional!

Some examples:

For Women: Sun dress, linen pants and blouse.

For Men: Cotton or linen pants, dress shorts, and button down shirt (long or short sleeve), polo/golf shirt, sandals or dress shoes (or no shoes!) Ties and jackets are not necessary!"

I put "some examples" because I don't want people to feel like I'm telling them what to wear because that seems a little rude, but I think if I were a guest I would appreciate some suggestions and/or guidelines. Do you guys think that sounds okay?

I'd REALLY love for my groom and groomsmen to do the dress slacks and suspenders/vest look, but I'm ultimately leaving it up to whatever he and they are most comfortable in. He knows I love that kind of outfit though, so hopefully he'll lean in that direction ;)

I think it's a great idea to add examples. I'm always left wondering what they mean exactly so I have to google it hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@@TinkerSofi Me too! Even when someone says an event is "business casual," I'm like "Okay do you mean dress pants and a blazer but no heels or khakis and a blouse or will everyone be in jeans and a nice shirt???" and I end up googling obsessively. Literally just tell me what to wear and I'll put it on my body!

• Like 2

I am asking my guests to wear white. Do you think I need to be more specific?

I think that's pretty self explanitory, but to be safe you could post an example picture of an all white wedding so people get the gist.

• Like 1

@@calgarybride2015 - haha I love the white look but for my wedding I want to be the only one in white :P

So we're having a separate white party to have the best of both worlds :P

I'd need meds for anxiety if I was ever invited to a white party :P unless I could find a loose white skirt maybe. Nothing form fitted (shudder)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of you have points, ( some don't care for shorts, or white) which is a perfect example of why a dress code more than saying, "shoes optional, beach casual, cocktail, etc." might be overzealous.

I just could not imagine someone coming to a destination wedding and show up in jeans or worse hahaha.

There are some things the bride should totally control and for me at least, dress code for guests is not one of them in my humble opinion.

Some people may feel insecure of their legs in shorts, or hate the way white emphasizes a body part they do not like, you get the point.

But if it is very important to you that people wear white, or collars for picture purposes or whatever then so be it, was only trying to get you to take consideration for guests individuality.

• Like 1

I have had a few people ask me... I told them to come in whatever they would like as long as it isn't a bathing suit and cover up. I am not overly concerned. My family and friends all have their own personalities but know what to wear to what occasions. Some have even sent me a photo of things they have picked out. They are just as excited as I am and want to look their best so I am happy with whatever that may be. 

• Like 2