Legal Marriage At Home

@@calgarybride2015 as far as I know, we can do it anywhere we want. My coworker had them come to his house, paused his video game, signed the paperwork, then went back to his game. 

Figuring out where to do it is the tough part. We don't want to do it at our basement apartment, but we don't want to make a big production out of it. I'm thinking maybe we'd invite his grandmother who can't come to the wedding over for lunch at either his parents or his sister's house and have the marriage commissioner drop by for a brief signing then.

@@calgarybride2015 as far as I know, we can do it anywhere we want. My coworker had them come to his house, paused his video game, signed the paperwork, then went back to his game. 

Figuring out where to do it is the tough part. We don't want to do it at our basement apartment, but we don't want to make a big production out of it. I'm thinking maybe we'd invite his grandmother who can't come to the wedding over for lunch at either his parents or his sister's house and have the marriage commissioner drop by for a brief signing then.

That's a great idea about lunch with your grandmother.

I think one of the reasons the lady we are using is cheap ($100) is because we have to go to her.

I am sure she would do them anywhere but the price may go up.

Good luck!

I have to get mine booked, less than a month for that!!! but she wants our witnesses and their info when we book and we haven't decided 100% what to do there yet.

That's a great idea about lunch with your grandmother.

I think one of the reasons the lady we are using is cheap ($100) is because we have to go to her.

I am sure she would do them anywhere but the price may go up.

Good luck!

I have to get mine booked, less than a month for that!!! but she wants our witnesses and their info when we book and we haven't decided 100% what to do there yet.

Sask has a website that lists available commissioners along with their contact info and there is a set rate for the service as well as a mileage rate for travel, although I assume that they are allowed to refuse to travel?

Sask has a website that lists available commissioners along with their contact info and there is a set rate for the service as well as a mileage rate for travel, although I assume that they are allowed to refuse to travel?

I have no idea?  Alberta has a list of all commissioners but they charge whatever rate they want. I emailed 2-3 and all prices varied.  Even marriage licenses cost different amounts depending what registry you go to!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question if anyone can help! We are having a symbolic ceremony in Cabo in July. We are not planning on getting legally married in PA until after the Cabo wedding. I do not need any paperwork or have to be legally married prior to going to Cabo for the ceremony, correct? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to waffle on when to have the legal part in Canada. Originally, I thought that doing it before we leave for Mexico made the most sense, but now I'm starting to change my mind.  I kind of feel like if we are legally married before the ceremony, then the ceremony might not feel as special, whereas if we do it afterwards, then we will get married in Mexico and register it in Canada afterwards.

My fiance wants to do it before and then go back to work the day after we get home from Mexico. I want to take a couple extra days and maybe do the legal stuff before we head back to work. 

I'm also hoping that the resort will give us some sort of symbolic wedding licence that we can frame when we get back, then file the legal Canadian one with the other documents.

I have a question if anyone can help! We are having a symbolic ceremony in Cabo in July. We are not planning on getting legally married in PA until after the Cabo wedding. I do not need any paperwork or have to be legally married prior to going to Cabo for the ceremony, correct? Thanks!

Nope for a symbolic you shouldn't need anything :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting to waffle on when to have the legal part in Canada. Originally, I thought that doing it before we leave for Mexico made the most sense, but now I'm starting to change my mind. I kind of feel like if we are legally married before the ceremony, then the ceremony might not feel as special, whereas if we do it afterwards, then we will get married in Mexico and register it in Canada afterwards.

My fiance wants to do it before and then go back to work the day after we get home from Mexico. I want to take a couple extra days and maybe do the legal stuff before we head back to work.

I'm also hoping that the resort will give us some sort of symbolic wedding licence that we can frame when we get back, then file the legal Canadian one with the other documents.

That's a tough one. I guess you need to talk it thru to see what compromise you can come up with and/or the true pros and cons of each to help you decide.

I can see it from both sides forsure. Since I haven't been in this situation we are doing the one we thought was best for us, which is before. We wanted to be legally married the minute we said 'I do' in Mexico. Just think of the real ceremony, all who is there, the anticipation of him seeing you, all the emotions. I don't think that would change because you knew you were already legally married.

Our resort gives you the page you sign on as your keepsake :) even though ours is symbolic we've asked to have our witnesses sign too!

Edit: I'm getting legally married next weekend, eek!!!

Edited by calgarybride2015
  • Like 1

@@calgarybride2015 thanks for the response!! I'm sure your Wedding will be beautiful next week! Congrats!! We originally wanted to have the legal ceremony at home prior to going as well. However, being that our grandmothers cannot make it to Cabo we plan and having a very small Church ceremony and dinner at our house following. I'm worried about being stressed over that while I'm trying to get together all the last minute details for our trip! Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

We plan on having a symbolic ceremony in Mexico and going to the courthouse before we leave to make it legal. My mom thinks the ceremony in Mexico won't feel special if we're already technically married. I've explained to her many times the cost and how much sooner we would have to get to Mexico to make it legal there. Has anyone else has this issue with family members? I just think of the courthouse as basically signing paperwork and Mexico will be our real wedding/ anniversary. I wish I hasn't told her about this in the first place!

I've had a few people mention to me that they're afraid it won't feel as special if we're technically already married.

We are doing it before so once we so I DO in Mexico we are really husband and wife. We don't want to technically have to wait another week or two. Haha that's what I came up with. We aren't telling anyone either -- our witnesses won't be at the wedding. It's not that I think my family would be upset but it appears some people take it harder than expected so easier to just not go there.

I've been debating whether to do it before or after.  Does it feel weird that you're already legally married?  What was the legal ceremony like?  Did you guys exchange full vows?  Sorry for all the questions, haha.

Edited by pykx82

I've had a few people mention to me that they're afraid it won't feel as special if we're technically already married.

I've been debating whether to do it before or after. Does it feel weird that you're already legally married? What was the legal ceremony like? Did you guys exchange full vows? Sorry for all the questions, haha.

For us we treated it like a step to being married in Mexico. We didn't make a big deal. We did the basic vows that are required by law. No personal vows and no rings. It was very touching and I had to try to not cry but it's good practice for Mexico lol. I kept stumbling on my words. It doesn't feel weird as we aren't referencing as husband and wife and I am not wearing my band - to use Mexico is our wedding.

• Like 1