I posted this in my planning thread too, but though I would also post it here.
So when I was in David's Bridal I fit the dress like a glove. Noone suggested the dresses would fit smaller when ordered in, though it makes sense, and to just go with what fit there. So I did. When it came in back in July and I put it on at home I knew it was noticeably more snug (I have posted this on the board a couple times). I figured I would lose 5 lbs and be good to go -- I would just like it a bit more comfortable and I needed to account for the swelling in Mexico that I am accustomed too.
I've had the dress on 4-5 times, most recent in August where I took the pictures posted in my thread. Fit the same but again could lose a smidge more for those 'just in case' concerns (swelling, drinking booze, etc.)
Fast forward to this evening. Went in to get a quote for the hem and bustle and...wait for it... she couldn't even get the dress done up! I have LOST a couple lbs since August, OMG. I had to basically beg her but she warned me we may blow the zipper. She immediately suggested we add more hooks to help! It could be that I haven't been into the weights much since I hurt my back a few weeks ago? flabby not tight? I don't know. Anyways she says it's just my back and everything else is fine she wouldn't adjust it anywhere else.
She gave me two choices....
1. leave it until early December and see what damage I can do at the gym/on the scale in 5 week (but we all know I can't spot reduce to only lose weight on my back lol)
2. she can take it out 1 inch and then when I go back in early December she can alter it to my body then.
I chose number 2 for a couple reasons.... The dress doesn't fit properly right now, so even if I lost weight to make it fit I need to account for swelling and all that is about to come up (stagette, xmas, xmas parties, new years, etc.) I can maintain I am confident, but aiming to lose 10-15 seems risky! Also, I don't want to show up early December and need it taken out and then she has to RUSH to get it done in a month. I would rather her have time to do the best she possibly can.
Did I do the right thing? I feel I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. I know if I gave this advice to someone else, I would tell them to size it to how they are now. I probably could have waited until December to see what damage I could do in 5 weeks, but honestly it would be 5-8 lbs at most and that just may not make a difference She said when I go back in, in December if she needs to take it back in some she can.. she will leave the intricate bead work until last.
I think I probably did the right thing. It's not depressing I am having my dress taken out, it's probably more upsetting that I weigh less now and it won't do up LOL it's also scary because the dress is that important - IT NEEDS TO FIT IN MEXICO!!! It's so stressful.
She asked if I wanted it taken up 1/2 inch more to account for sinking in the sand. Did anyone else do this? I said no because I will be on cement a lot more than just the ceremony time. We compromised on the outside layer being ground length and the under layers being the 1/2 inch shorter.
oh ps - she said I can't get a corset, there isn't enough material. This will cost about $300-$350 with her taking it out/alter, hem, and bustle.
Davids wanted $250 for a hem and bustle...
Edited by calgarybride2015, 23 October 2014 - 07:45 PM.