Anyone "have" To Pay In Full Your Vendors (Dj) 2 Wks. Before Wedding?

I don't know if we'll have any private vendors besides our photographer (and the resort) but our photographer does require full payment 3 weeks in advance.

It does feel like a bit of a risk, but you would hope that the risk to them of being "outed" in reviews would keep them honest. As you note, even one bad review can damage their reputation. If they failed to show (and provide a replacement) they'd see the affects pretty quickly.

You've done your research so if your gut feels good about it, I think you should go for it. Our guts rarely lead us wrong :)

• Like 1

I've taken a break from the wedding planning process for a few months. Burnt out? No, but I feel like I can take a breather because mostly everything has been picked out, planned, and agreed.

However; there is one thing that keeps popping up in my mind.

Our DJ that we have proposed hiring says it is the company's policy to have half down upon hiring and the remainder of the payment to his company no later than 2 weeks PRIOR to the wedding.

All other vendors require remainder payment upon arrival or services rendered day of wedding.

If we are paying half up front when reserving, I think that would cover any overhead. Not saying we won't do it but anytime your pay-paling large amounts of money to another country weeks before receiving a service, there's that feeling like, what incentive do they actually have to show up? Etc. etc.

I work in research and development and I am very thorough with my "digging"

sometimes that I feel like it's a curse. :/

I would like to know of any other brides had to pay for an intangible service such as a dj upfront weeks before wedding. Also would like to know if anyone has pros and cons about doing so.

Thanks!

Hey LisaAnthonyPoppy,

I must say its pretty common to pay up front with most Vendors. in the area, and trust me they do show up.  how about you mention to the specific vendor that you are not comfortable with paying all up front, and see if they would be ok with receiving the rest of the payment on your final meeting with them.  it my turn our they are ok with mending their contract.

Happy Planning!

• Like 3

@@dreamweddings

Hey Joyce! How are you doing?

My anxiety has calmed down and I feel a lot better. :)

I've spoken to everyone and we worked out a good scenario.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and remain sincere.

I wish you lots of business and success.

Xo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Most of my vendors requested half the payment now and then the other half by the day of the service being rendered. I have 2 vendors that requested full payment before the product and service are rendered, and they stipulate that the fees are non-refundable. It is definitely nerve racking experience. I mean with a hotel and airlines, we can buy insurance in the event of any mishap. Perhaps I don't know the wedding industry that well, I think it is fair to ask me for half the cost prior to the day of, but why do I have to blindly trust these vendors and pay for everything before I get the product/service? Just because it is customary and that's how it is in the industry? No matter how much research was done the risk is still high, especially when they are more than 1,000 miles away. It is not like they are certified and I can look for them via professional associations (like doctors, lawyers and accountants).

All I can say is I'm glad I'm planning to only marry once in my life. Lol.

• Like 1

@@Icis I totally agree with you 110%.

I had a real problem with this.

I can debate the case with endless fact based data but it seems like the to do here is just keep your mouth shut and pay up. Lol

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone!

Praying for success on our weddings! Good luck :)