Ok I've definitely learned something here. I've considered this too but had no idea which way to go. What is Sally's and where? Has anyone heard of either a resort spa or one of the speciality ones doing it on your wedding day? I've tried growing my hair longer, and can get it to over my collar then get mad and cut it. But I would love to have a longer half up half down done. I think extensions is going to be the only way to go.

Ok I've definitely learned something here. I've considered this too but had no idea which way to go. What is Sally's and where? Has anyone heard of either a resort spa or one of the speciality ones doing it on your wedding day? I've tried growing my hair longer, and can get it to over my collar then get mad and cut it. But I would love to have a longer half up half down done. I think extensions is going to be the only way to go.

Sallys is a beauty wholesale shop here in the US

Link: http://www.sallybeauty.com/

I think the only kind you could do on your actual wedding day would be clip ins - it takes too long to install the other types.

Sally's offers a selection of hair extensions that are really, really, really poor quality.  They are also very thin and are usually blended with horse hair or synthetic hair.

This means, they're terrible to style, curl, and don't last very long. They matte super fast, and need to be brushed throughout the day.  

I recommend buying hair online.   I have my extensions from SKR hair extensions.  They are not of the greatest quality, but they are virgin hair, and they also give you SO MUCH HAIR!!! They come with clip ins already attached

Luxury for princess is also a great extension line, but it's pretty expensive. 

• Like 1

Sally's offers a selection of hair extensions that are really, really, really poor quality.  They are also very thin and are usually blended with horse hair or synthetic hair.

This means, they're terrible to style, curl, and don't last very long. They matte super fast, and need to be brushed throughout the day.  

I recommend buying hair online.   I have my extensions from SKR hair extensions.  They are not of the greatest quality, but they are virgin hair, and they also give you SO MUCH HAIR!!! They come with clip ins already attached

Luxury for princess is also a great extension line, but it's pretty expensive. 

Are these for clip ins or for sew in extensions?

Are these for clip ins or for sew in extensions?

I got my SKR hair extensions, and they come with clips. I love them.   185 grams for $140.... Sally's clip ins 80 grams for $129.......... "satin strands".     

I curl my sKR and the curl stays.  check out reviews on youtube.  :) 

Thanks for the insight! The other type I was considering was the sew in so maybe I will look into that instead :) I have done the clip ins, but just didn't want to mess with them all wedding weekend taking them in and out.

@@lydiasusi - did they sew ins give you headaches? I heard they can do this.

@@nadiakat17 - I got my clip ins from Sallys and they were very good quality :)

sew ins do not give you headaches :)  They make your head tender for a day, and then it goes away.  Depending on how tight your stylist makes the braids, which is a good thing, meaning the braids will stay in a bit longer, than if they were to do them loose.    I have done sew in quite a few times, and due to the fact that I still like to wash my hair with them,  I do believe that quality hair is the best to use.

I have done sew ins with Sally's hair, the brand was Euronext?  The hair tangles so fast, and gets so gross, don't attempt it. Speaking from experience.  The amount they give you is a joke too, considering they sell it for $100?-$120?  For $40 you can buy virgin remy hair, with atleast twice the amount of hair.

Buy good hair!!!!   Good hair can last a whole year, or even more, with washing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From someone who has worn hair extensions since 1993!!!! Yes, you read that right! OVER 20 years!

I would LOVE to share my knowledge after learning the hard way about every type of hair and application there is!

I like to be positive, so let me start with the best :D

Ladies, if you want hair extensions, do yourself and your hair a favor. If it's only for the ONE day - do a clip in. Please make sure it is 100% human hair so it can be curled/styled, etc.

If you want the hair to stay in - NANO-LINKS!!!! Google it!

Nanolink hair extensions are designed to be more natural and less detectable than traditional bead methods. The beads are 90% smaller than traditional beads which allows these extensions to be put in the finest hair. These extensions can also be used in the crown area of the head making them and ideal choice for people with short hard to blend layers.

I'm sure everyone here has a computer... ;)  Do yourself a fast favour and your hair a long term favor (this is where I have learned the hard way!) Google "hair damage caused by Fusion extensions" "Damage caused by tape in extensions" etc. All in all, I am saying, the bead method is the most gentle for your natural hair, as it is only clamped on and not chemically sealed to your delicate hairs! Another bonus is, once they grow out, your technician can open the beads, move the hair back up, and use the hair again! Saving you MUCHO $$$$$ (the hair is the most expensive part of extensions). Micro beads are #2 in my books, but are too big, compared to the above mentioned "Nano Links" and have a tendency to slide out easier - but still better than glued in Fusion extensions, RIPPING out your hair!!!

Sewn in extensions... Let's be honest. If you are wanting/needing extensions to add length and volume, chances are, you do not already have that much of your own hair, right??? So after the lady, braids your natural hair in order to sew in the extensions... How much natural hair do you have left, to hide the "seam" of where your hair meets the extensions and most importantly, hide the BULK of the braid underneath (please mind you, this is coming from a blonde girl with fine hair. So for those with enough locks, rock on!)

BUT HOLD ON!!! Here comes the MOST important part though! HAIR QUALITY!

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!!! Ensure you purchase Cuticle INTACT hair!!!!!

The term "cuticle free" is just a sales term! Inexpensive extensions are made from hair collected facing in all directions, from many donors, even from hairbrushes...so that the cuticle has to be removed in damaging acid baths, then covered in silicone so that the hair will not tangle...this is why it is also called "Tangle Free". But after the first few washings, the remaining cuticles will rise as the silicone is washed off and hopeless dry tangling sets in because the cuticles act like little fish hooks hooking with the cuticles facing the opposite direction. So beware of any extensions that not labeled "remy cuticle intact"!

Here's a link, that explains each "grade" of good Remy hair:

http://hollywoodglamour.co.nz/hair-extensions-quality

I went from having BEAUTIFUL long (but fine) hair and started with extensions to add extra volume. After years of the different processes above, I now only have shoulder length damaged hair, caused by fusion and tape ripping out my hair every time you require a new set (approx. 3 months). Looks great at first! But once removal happens, not so much! I have now been wearing Nano-links for a few years and my hair is quickly growing it's length back! I only need to purchase my hair once a year and my technician re-uses it upon every maintenance appointment! WIN-WIN!!!!

Here's my funny but oh-so-true P.S.:

BE PREPARED FOR HUMIDITY!!!! I went to Mexico with my FI last year and had my gorgeous extensions installed before the trip! YAY! Only problem is, your natural hair WILL react differently to the humidity, than the extensions! So basically, smooth extensions and frizzy natural hair! LOL! Booooo! :wacko: Be sure to purchase proper products for humidity control and bring a good straightening iron! Always use a heat protector and a nice quality oil serum for your extensions, EVERY DAY! (the hair is cut/dead therefore does not produce it's own oil protection anymore)

These are just my honest opinions after years of trials. I do not mean to offend anyone who enjoys other methods whatsoever! Just hoping to save anyone from the mistakes I have made in the past :)

Edited by JennyZ
  • Like 2

From someone who has worn hair extensions since 1993!!!! Yes, you read that right! OVER 20 years!

I would LOVE to share my knowledge after learning the hard way about every type of hair and application there is!

I like to be positive, so let me start with the best :D

Ladies, if you want hair extensions, do yourself and your hair a favor. If it's only for the ONE day - do a clip in. Please make sure it is 100% human hair so it can be curled/styled, etc.

If you want the hair to stay in - NANO-LINKS!!!! Google it!

Nanolink hair extensions are designed to be more natural and less detectable than traditional bead methods. The beads are 90% smaller than traditional beads which allows these extensions to be put in the finest hair. These extensions can also be used in the crown area of the head making them and ideal choice for people with short hard to blend layers.

I'm sure everyone here has a computer... ;)  Do yourself a fast favour and your hair a long term favor (this is where I have learned the hard way!) Google "hair damage caused by Fusion extensions" "Damage caused by tape in extensions" etc. All in all, I am saying, the bead method is the most gentle for your natural hair, as it is only clamped on and not chemically sealed to your delicate hairs! Another bonus is, once they grow out, your technician can open the beads, move the hair back up, and use the hair again! Saving you MUCHO $$$$$ (the hair is the most expensive part of extensions). Micro beads are #2 in my books, but are too big, compared to the above mentioned "Nano Links" and have a tendency to slide out easier - but still better than glued in Fusion extensions, RIPPING out your hair!!!

Sewn in extensions... Let's be honest. If you are wanting/needing extensions to add length and volume, chances are, you do not already have that much of your own hair, right??? So after the lady, braids your natural hair in order to sew in the extensions... How much natural hair do you have left, to hide the "seam" of where your hair meets the extensions and most importantly, hide the BULK of the braid underneath (please mind you, this is coming from a blonde girl with fine hair. So for those with enough locks, rock on!)

BUT HOLD ON!!! Here comes the MOST important part though! HAIR QUALITY!

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!!! Ensure you purchase Cuticle INTACT hair!!!!!

The term "cuticle free" is just a sales term! Inexpensive extensions are made from hair collected facing in all directions, from many donors, even from hairbrushes...so that the cuticle has to be removed in damaging acid baths, then covered in silicone so that the hair will not tangle...this is why it is also called "Tangle Free". But after the first few washings, the remaining cuticles will rise as the silicone is washed off and hopeless dry tangling sets in because the cuticles act like little fish hooks hooking with the cuticles facing the opposite direction. So beware of any extensions that not labeled "remy cuticle intact"!

Here's a link, that explains each "grade" of good Remy hair:

http://hollywoodglamour.co.nz/hair-extensions-quality

I went from having BEAUTIFUL long (but fine) hair and started with extensions to add extra volume. After years of the different processes above, I now only have shoulder length damaged hair, caused by fusion and tape ripping out my hair every time you require a new set (approx. 3 months). Looks great at first! But once removal happens, not so much! I have now been wearing Nano-links for a few years and my hair is quickly growing it's length back! I only need to purchase my hair once a year and my technician re-uses it upon every maintenance appointment! WIN-WIN!!!!

Here's my funny but oh-so-true P.S.:

BE PREPARED FOR HUMIDITY!!!! I went to Mexico with my FI last year and had my gorgeous extensions installed before the trip! YAY! Only problem is, your natural hair WILL react differently to the humidity, than the extensions! So basically, smooth extensions and frizzy natural hair! LOL! Booooo! :wacko: Be sure to purchase proper products for humidity control and bring a good straightening iron! Always use a heat protector and a nice quality oil serum for your extensions, EVERY DAY! (the hair is cut/dead therefore does not produce it's own oil protection anymore)

These are just my honest opinions after years of trials. I do not mean to offend anyone who enjoys other methods whatsoever! Just hoping to save anyone from the mistakes I have made in the past :)

What's your favorite heat protector?

I have used a few by Chi and Revlon but still haven't found one I am overly excited about. I don't like the sprays that is why I moved away from Chi.

I have damage from flat ironing my hair everyday.

I do use Cynos hair treatment mask once a week that does wonders.

Thanks!

What's your favorite heat protector?

I have used a few by Chi and Revlon but still haven't found one I am overly excited about. I don't like the sprays that is why I moved away from Chi.

I have damage from flat ironing my hair everyday.

I do use Cynos hair treatment mask once a week that does wonders.

Thanks!

@@calgarybride2015 I should take a picture of my BUCKET of products, to show you how many I have been through! LOL! It's such a pain in the a$$ to find nice ones, eh?!! :lol:

I have also used the CHI, but found it left my hair very greasy and weighed down - yuck! and I have spent wayyyy too much on overpriced products, only to HATE them! Sucks!!!!

Now don't laugh, but my absolute FAVOURITE and probably the last products you would think to try! Because they're the least expensive out of everything I have bought! (Go figure! haha!)

TRESemme Thermal creations Heat Tamer Spray

- So light and leaves zero residue on the hair!

TRESemme Keratin Smooth Flat Iron Smooth Spray

- Leaves an incredible shine, plus the added benefits of keratin!

And my last and most favourite!.... It's not even a heat protectant spray, but its actually an "all in one"

BIOSILK Silk Therapy

If I could bathe in this, I would! It's actually amazing and can be used on the skin too. I rub it into my knees and elbows!

BioSilk silk therapy is a weightless, leave-in silk replenishing and reconstructing treatment to repair, smooth and protect all hair types. I use this all over (small amount - quarter sized for my long hair) on my wet hair and brush through. After drying and straightening, I use a tiny bit more, just on my ends for added smoothing :D

I would use the above serum, which is going to help repair your hair daily and maybe just a little spray of the tresemme heat tamer spray for added protection, if you already have really damaged hair  :) 

@@calgarybride2015 I should take a picture of my BUCKET of products, to show you how many I have been through! LOL! It's such a pain in the a$$ to find nice ones, eh?!! :lol:

I have also used the CHI, but found it left my hair very greasy and weighed down - yuck! and I have spent wayyyy too much on overpriced products, only to HATE them! Sucks!!!!

Now don't laugh, but my absolute FAVOURITE and probably the last products you would think to try! Because they're the least expensive out of everything I have bought! (Go figure! haha!)

TRESemme Thermal creations Heat Tamer Spray

- So light and leaves zero residue on the hair!

TRESemme Keratin Smooth Flat Iron Smooth Spray

- Leaves an incredible shine, plus the added benefits of keratin!

And my last and most favourite!.... It's not even a heat protectant spray, but its actually an "all in one"

BIOSILK Silk Therapy

If I could bathe in this, I would! It's actually amazing and can be used on the skin too. I rub it into my knees and elbows!

BioSilk silk therapy is a weightless, leave-in silk replenishing and reconstructing treatment to repair, smooth and protect all hair types. I use this all over (small amount - quarter sized for my long hair) on my wet hair and brush through. After drying and straightening, I use a tiny bit more, just on my ends for added smoothing :D

I would use the above serum, which is going to help repair your hair daily and maybe just a little spray of the tresemme heat tamer spray for added protection, if you already have really damaged hair :)

Thanks!!!!!

I also have a lot if products collecting dust. I totally agree about the chi spray. The revlon one isn't a spray but I swear if you get a smidge to much it's greasy ugh.

Who would have ever thought tresomme would have these products. I tend to sway to the salons for these type of products. I will definitely check them out :)

Thanks for the tips. My hair isn't badly damaged but a trained eye or someone who also has damaged hair could probably tell. It's more my bangs and sides by ears where I can reach the best!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by calgarybride2015
  • Like 1