Hey Ladies,

6 months till I say I do!!!

I have a beautiful Oleg Cassini dress, that I need altered.   

I bought it from Davids Bridal, seeing as I was able to get a credit card through them, and thankfully pay off my dress already :)  

I wanted to know if ya'll have gotten your dress altered through davids bridal and if it came out nicely? I've heard pros and cons.   I would like to go to a local tailor, but seeing as I am saving up and spending money on other things, I would not be able to pay all the money upfront :/  But, I'm sure I could work something out.

I also wanted to know is 3 months a good time to go get it altered?  I work out regularly doing crossfit, and cardio, so my body is getting tighter, but I don't think there will be any dramatic weight loss anytime soon.  

Thank you! 

Hey Ladies,

6 months till I say I do!!!

I have a beautiful Oleg Cassini dress, that I need altered.   

I bought it from Davids Bridal, seeing as I was able to get a credit card through them, and thankfully pay off my dress already :)

I wanted to know if ya'll have gotten your dress altered through davids bridal and if it came out nicely? I've heard pros and cons.   I would like to go to a local tailor, but seeing as I am saving up and spending money on other things, I would not be able to pay all the money upfront :/  But, I'm sure I could work something out.

I also wanted to know is 3 months a good time to go get it altered?  I work out regularly doing crossfit, and cardio, so my body is getting tighter, but I don't think there will be any dramatic weight loss anytime soon.  

Thank you! 

I don't have experience with david's bridal but where I bought my dress they said alterations should be done 2-3 months before the wedding. Most brides lose weight when getting really close to their wedding but the changes depend where you are on your weight loss journey. If you still have quite a few pounds to shed 3 months might be a dramatic change but if you're almost done I don't think it will make too much difference 2-3 months out. Also, if you have a corset back it will be more forgiving of weight loss closer to the date. 

I agree with the above!  I think it depends how much you plan to lose in those last 3 months.   I set out to have my weight lost by my alterations date, then give or take, I will lose another 5ish lbs to help with swell hell in Mexico!

I bought my dress at David's Bridal also. Here in Calgary they need atleast 2 months/8 weeks with your dress.  They booked me for November 15, and it will be ready by January 15. (We leave on the 17)  Since I only need a bustle and a hem, I can't see me needing to go back multiple times, so I think my dress would be ready in December.    That is of course if I keep to my healthy eating, ha!

That said, David's Bridal is expensive for alterations!   The reason I had planned to use them is because they are a large company and I bought my dress there. I have to trust that their alterations department have well trained ladies, who probably alter 100's of dresses a week!  I feel safe with them 100%.   But again, the cost!  I have considered going to a local shop, and have asked around for recommendations.  I am still up in the air about it, but I guess I should decide soon as it is only 1 month away.

Edited by calgarybride2015
  • Like 1

I agree with all the above as it does depend on if you are losing weight and the type of dress you have. I am fortunate as my MIL is a seamstress and she will be doing my alterations about a month before the wedding. 

• Like 2

I bought a DB dress, but am using an outside seamstress for alterations.  She had me come in like five months early for an estimate.  I had my first fitting four months in advance.  2nd fitting is 2 months in advance, and then final fitting is the week before I leave.

• Like 1

I bought a DB dress, but am using an outside seamstress for alterations.  She had me come in like five months early for an estimate.  I had my first fitting four months in advance.  2nd fitting is 2 months in advance, and then final fitting is the week before I leave.

I was quoted around $400 for alterations with davids bridal :/ that was just to take it in, make a bustle and shorten it a bit.

I will be taking my dress to a local seamstress to check out prices :) Thanks! 

I was quoted around $400 for alterations with davids bridal :/ that was just to take it in, make a bustle and shorten it a bit.

I will be taking my dress to a local seamstress to check out prices :) Thanks! 

They quoted me around $250 without taking it in.

I know ladies I work with who had a lot more done for like $100.

I plan to also shop around, but want to make sure I make a good choice.  This one panics me!

I had a hem and a bustle done at DB when I bought my dress and it cost me almost $300, which to me was outrageous. And it wasn't even done properly the first time. When i tried the dress on the hem was crooked and the bustle hadn't even been done at all. Needless to say I let loose at them right away. When I went back the second time a week later, it was all finished.

I found the alterations at david's bridal to be expensive but I think the convenience part of it might be worth it.  When I tried my dress on they already gave me the estimate.  The  nice thing too is that they know the dresses well and the chances of them having done alternations on that style are high.