Sign in to follow this  
TammyWright

Keep your valuables at Home!

One more thing, I forgot about the locks. There are TSA locks that aren't as easy to pick, and TSA agents have a key for them so they can inspect your bags without you having to get your key out.

My friend's cousin works at LAX - horror stories if anyone's interested. But I've heard through them that the luggage with the fancy locks usually signals that something really good is inside and thieves want to know what it is. Even airport staff have been known to break the locks to get what's inside before your bag even gets on the plane. Just do your best and hope it doesn't happen to you :o)

I was thinking of bringing a lock that we don't put on the luggage until we get to the hotel. So it doesn't need to be a TSA lock. We can just lock up the valuable stuff in a suitcase. I know it's not totally safe, but it might help. Just a little lock that keeps someone from easily opening it up. Ofcouse they could roll the whole thing away. I'll probably hide the camera cards somewhere too. Taped to the top of a drawer? Not that anyone wants to take a camera card. But really, my pictures are the most valuable thing to me when I travel.

We will also be snorkeling off the beach. There is a lagoon near the hotel. So we won't have a boat to leave stuff in. Taking the camera to the pool sounds like a good idea. There will probably be some family members sitting in a beach chair we can leave our bags with.

I still don't know what to do with my ring when we are swimming. It's gold so I should let it get in the pool.

How scary. I know Mexico does have a bad name for things like that but I guess it somone what suprises me that the hotel management reacted in that manner. Thanks for the post Tammy, good heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I still don't know what to do with my ring when we are swimming. It's gold so I should let it get in the pool.
I never took my ring off but it's silver....maybe someone here knows about gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
I never took my ring off but it's silver....maybe someone here knows about gold.
Chlorine is really bad for gold. I just remembered I have this necklace with a waterproof container on the end. Maybe that will work? I would look like such a dork though. I might as well slap on a fanny pack & put a line of zinc on my nose.

I never use the hotel safe. I don't travel with valuables, but when we were in Cabo for the wedding we had to leave our wedding bands in the room, and some cash for vendors. We hid the cash inside our clothes and socks in the suitcase, and also would put our camera inside on the rare occasion we didn't have it with us. We have small travel locks with a combination that we use for all our suitcases, that way one doesn't look more suspicious than the other.

Wow, that is terrible. I bet the people attending that wedding will never return to Mexico after that experience. That sounds like an inside job - no sign of break in, ability to open the safes easily. Yuck.

I have never, ever understood why people trust those little safes in their rooms. I have never used them, I just look at them & think it's a trap! My husband used ours in Cabo for his camera & passport, but I just kept anything I was worried about with me at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
Chlorine is really bad for gold. I just remembered I have this necklace with a waterproof container on the end. Maybe that will work? I would look like such a dork though. I might as well slap on a fanny pack & put a line of zinc on my nose.
LOL...not the most stylish but those work. I forgot to mention I put those in our OOT bags and some people mentioned they found them useful.