Photo

Help I Can Only Get Married During Hurricane Season!

Mexico hurricane

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lornj29

lornj29
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:56 AM

So I am trying to find the best date for my wedding and the only week that will work for my entire family would be Mid-August. Im kind of freaking out because I feel like thats the beginning of Hurricane/Rainy season. I was looking at Mexico. Does anyone have any experience getting married in mexico during this time? Or any suggestions of any other places? Thank you!

#2 AllieH

AllieH
    • Resort/Area Ambassadors
    • 2,014 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
    • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
    • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:13 AM

If it's the only time that will work, and you really want Mexico, then plan it and strongly encourage everyone to get travel insurance. The odds are fairly low based on recent history that there will be a hurricane during that time, but there's no guarantee of course. Like I told you before, plan for the worst case scenario and hope for the best. Otherwise you may need to change your expectations and planning. It's August. It's the caribbean. It's hurricane season - those factors aren't going to change. Look at things that CAN change: the location (maybe a destination wedding in the caribbean isn't for you after all) or the timing (what about winter break or spring break?). 

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#3 acw271011

acw271011
    • Moderators
    • 3,128 posts
    • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
    • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
    • LocationToronto Area

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

I don't know if you would consider another location or not, but Jamaica might be an option too. I agree with @AllieH  Hurricane season is hurricane season and that's something that isn't going to change. We were married in Jamaica in October and the locals were very fond of telling us the statistics on hurricanes NOT hitting Jamaica!

I would talk to the resorts that you're considering and ask them what their back up plan is if there is a storm while you're there. Would they just move it inside if it's not too too bad? Would they allow postponing a day or so until the worst is over? As well, you don't generally get a day's notice for a hurricane. They track these things fairly far out and are reasonably good at projecting where they will hit. If it's going to be that bad, it's doubtful your airline would fly there anyway so travel insurance is definitely an absolute MUST!

A lot to think about, but if you look at the statistics, the odds do tend to be in your favour!

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#4 jaspbri0317

jaspbri0317
    • 79 posts
    • Wedding Date:October 13, 2018
    • Wedding Location:Curacao

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

I've been to a wedding in Cancun around late July? It turned out to be fine. It definitely was not super sunny everyday and it did drizzle once or twice. The wedding day was clear skies though! The bride had to choose this date because half of her wedding party were teachers.

Send positive vibes out and I'm sure it will be perfect weather!

#5 nadiakat17

nadiakat17
    • 462 posts
    • Wedding Date:March 27, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Puerto Vallarta

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

I've been to mexico in July and had perfect weather!

#6 jeffandrobyn

jeffandrobyn
    • 227 posts
    • Wedding Date:July 12, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

I was told by my resort that even the 'rainy season' usually just means a sprinkle of rain that lasts a few minutes. Nothing significant. But I agree with the others - make sure your venue as indoor options just in case.

#7 rachelia160

rachelia160
    • 296 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 17, 2015
    • Wedding Location:NOW Jade
    • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:29 AM

I was told by my resort that even the 'rainy season' usually just means a sprinkle of rain that lasts a few minutes. Nothing significant. But I agree with the others - make sure your venue as indoor options just in case.

Exactly--"rainy season" lasts practically all year.  My travel agent told me that it doesn't mean it rains all the time, it just means it's more likely, but in Mexico the weather blows through so quickly you barely even know it's there.  I wouldn't let the date deter you, at the end of the day you can't control the weather either way so just hope for the best!

#8 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
    • 2,217 posts
    • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
    • LocationCanada

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

I'm getting married in August too! I freaked out about it too at first but out of the 3 times I've been to Mexico the best weather was in August . I think we'll be ok. Technically it is hurricane season but the chances are not super high. It is a risk you take but let's hope for the best. If it makes you feel better, I went last January to cancun and while the weather is supposed to be great that time of the year it rained 4 days straight. It was cold, like long pants and a sweater cold during the day. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to get married then. So the chances of something going wrong are always there, no matter where you get married, but there's no point in worrying about something that you can't control . If the only time you can do it is August go for it and hope for the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

event.png

#9 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
    • 4,505 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
    • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:34 AM

I'm getting married in August too! I freaked out about it too at first but out of the 3 times I've been to Mexico the best weather was in August . I think we'll be ok. Technically it is hurricane season but the chances are not super high. It is a risk you take but let's hope for the best. If it makes you feel better, I went last January to cancun and while the weather is supposed to be great that time of the year it rained 4 days straight. It was cold, like long pants and a sweater cold during the day. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to get married then. So the chances of something going wrong are always there, no matter where you get married, but there's no point in worrying about something that you can't control . If the only time you can do it is August go for it and hope for the best

Don't jinx me hehehehe

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#10 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
    • 2,217 posts
    • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
    • LocationCanada

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

Don't jinx me hehehehe

you'll be fine ;) we went last year when the US was having awful winter storms and apparently that affected the weather in Mexico with tons of rain and cold weather. I think, judging by Calgary here, this will be one hot year ;) ahaha

event.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users