• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nadiakat17

nadiakat17
  • 462 posts
  • Wedding Date:March 27, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Puerto Vallarta

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

Does anyone have experience/know about VAT tax refund, specifically in Mexico?

I am getting charged VAT tax for basically everything about my wedding- venue, food, entertainment, etc

Anyone know if this will be able to be refunded?

Thanks

#2 TAkathy

TAkathy
  • Insiders
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

This is a tax through the Government and is standard in many international destinations, not just Mexico.

There is a process for getting the tax refunded - it needs to be followed exactly with all the stipulations met.

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings? We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews HERE.

Awards and recognition:

Palace Resorts Top PRO Agency
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator
    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner
    Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner

#3 nadiakat17

nadiakat17
    • 462 posts
    • Wedding Date:March 27, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Puerto Vallarta

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

yes I am aware of what it is, my question was more about how to go about it being refunded and also if these wedding related things would qualify

#4 acw271011

acw271011
    • Moderators
    • 3,128 posts
    • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
    • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
    • LocationToronto Area

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

My experience has always been that the tax being refunded is only on goods that you're returning home with. As long as you're in the country, you're subject to the taxes as demanded by the state. I know when I go home to the UK, I can get VAT refunded but only on goods returning to Canada with me, not on activities that have been conducted while in the UK and even then it has to be over certain amounts and certain types of goods.

I found this when I went searching:

Question: What is the tourist tax refund and how do I get one?

The Mexican government is in the process of instituting a program for reimbursing the tax on products foreign tourists purchase during their visit to Mexico. Read on to find out if you are eligible, and how to go about claiming the tax refund for tourists to Mexico.

Answer:

Eligibility for tax refund

To be eligible for the tax refund, you must have spent at least 1200 pesos on Mexican goods - there's no refund for services, so hotel and food expenses do not apply - and you must return to your country by sea or air. Each receipt that you present must be for at least 1200 pesos (individual items may cost less, but the complete purchase at the store must be for at least that amount). If the purchase was paid for in cash, the refund will not surpass 3000 pesos. Purchases must be made in stores and establishments that are affiliated with the tax reimbursement program in order to qualify.

Procedure for obtaining a refund

To obtain the refund, on the day of your departure you must visit one of the tax refund kiosks located at certain airports throughout Mexico (see below), and hand in the reimbursement request form completely filled out, with banking information (name of bank and account number). You must present your passport, immigration form (such as a tourist card), plane ticket, purchase receipts, and bring along the goods purchased to be verified.

You will receive 50% of the reimbursement (up to 10 000 pesos) in cash, and the other 50% will be refunded through electronic transfer to your bank account within 40 days. The companies which process the tax refunds charge a 35% fee of the total tax refund.

Availability

Tax refund kiosks are available at airports in the following destinations: Acapulco, CancĂșn, Cozumel, Guadalajara, Ixtapa, Los Cabos, Mexico City, Monterrey, and Puerto Vallarta.

I also found this when I searched for info:

http://www.tripadvis...ico-Mexico.html

Good luck!

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#5 SUREKHA

SUREKHA
    • 13 posts
      • LocationUK

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:11 AM

Hi 

Just looking to find out if you were able to claim back tax on the costs of your wedding?

#6 jabbott

jabbott
      • 9 posts
      • Wedding Date:February 25, 2016
      • Wedding Location:Paradise Island, Bahamas
      • LocationIowa

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:50 AM

Does anyone know if there is a VAT tax refund in the Bahamas??

#7 acw271011

acw271011
      • Moderators
      • 3,128 posts
      • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
      • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
      • LocationToronto Area

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

@jabbott  It would be easy enough to find out online, but from what I understand the same rule applies. You cannot claim back costs on your wedding. It's considered services completed within the country you're visiting. It's only on goods that are returning with you to your country of origin.

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users