Reception Schedule

Just one question - is your resort charging you to end your reception at a certain time? Some resorts will charge if you go past say 10:30 or something and sometimes the charges can be quite high. That will be individual to your resort. I've seen a couple here that are being charged past 10:30 and others can go to 11:00 with no problem. Check into it and then you'll know when you can end your reception. Hey - if you can get it to go until midnight or later without extra costs, go for it. The longer you get to party the better.

I like what you've laid out. But don't be afraid to take your time with your photos. Let yourselves work with your photographer for timing. Your pictures will be important to you in 20 odd years so make the best of the time you have and get your pictures done. Your guests will be fine!

@@calgarybride2015 yes, great idea speeches can causally take place during dinner. I love in movies you see people just stand up and ring their champagne or wine glass to say a few words!

@@BrideToBeJolie

thanks! Had I had not just been planning our wedding and then attending a wedding I don't think I would have been able to plan it out accordingly.

First dance right after a 45 minute cocktail hour people won't be starving but they won't be in a food comma ready to watch and give the waiters a chance to get first course out without ppl waiting for food.

As soon as we are seated I want the first plate down :)

And I want people up and moving before their trance sets in.

Ok I over think things! I just want everyone to have a blast ya know?

No definitely not over thinking.  I'm like you, definitely want to make sure everyone is having a great time!  

• Like 1

Our resort is charging about $250/hour after 10pm... So if we go until midnight it's $500. NBD regarding the $$ but we're only having about 30 people.. I don't want the party to die before it's actually over

OK so I've already changed my mind about our schedule....

8:00 Introduction of wedding party

8:10 First Dance

8:15-9:00 Dinner

9:00 Cake cutting

9:15 Toasts/Champagne

9:30 Father Daughter/Mother Son Dance

9:45-11:30/12:00 Dancing!

• Like 1

Our resort also charges per hour to extend. It's per person for open bar, the cheapest option being $8.45 per hour.

We have 4 hours scheduled for open bar/extended time at a whopping estimate of $1450.

The biggest cost of our wedding, besides our travel costs, is the open bar/extended reception time.

I did just find out though that the resort will adjust the cost for the teenagers and non drinkers so that will cut the fee back some.

Does your DJ app on your phone use data or the internet? Keep that in mind since resorts can have spotty internet and I would hate to have your music all planned out and then can't get to it from lack of internet. Plus if it's not wifi the data fees might end up the same as a DJ!

• Like 1

Does your DJ app on your phone use data or the internet? Keep that in mind since resorts can have spotty internet and I would hate to have your music all planned out and then can't get to it from lack of internet. Plus if it's not wifi the data fees might end up the same as a DJ!

WeddingDJ (the most popular DJ app for weddings) is not an internet based app so this should not be an issue for those using it for their ceremony or reception.

I like the first dance before dinner - great idea!!    

Come in to the reception, have your dance, and eat!!!    

I think speeches can happen while you are eating, personally!   

This happened at my friends wedding and worked well.  

This is a great idea - speeches during dinner!

I think I would like something like this:

3pm - ceremony on the beach

Wine toast

4pm - cocktail hour on beach (with photographer to take photos of couples etc.)

5pm - bride, groom, families etc go to do photos - guests can go back to their rooms to cool off, grab a drink/snack

7pm - reception

710pm - bride and groom enter, first dance right away (love this idea!)

715pm - bride and groom thank you speech

720pm - dinner served 

- can reserve time for a speech during appetizer, main and dessert or in between (I don't know if                we will do speeches)

8pm - dancing begins (I know we will not have father/daughter dance, but mother/son can start it off)

915pm - cut the cake

10pm - formal reception ends - anyone who wants to continue can go to the disco with us!

Edited by KAT2015
  • Like 1

@@KAT2015 ok I like your timeline. However; and I sware I'm not being a jerk just think about mexico mid day sun or even if it wasn't Mexico having ceremony begin at 3 and dancing not start until 8pm, 5 hours later? And then the nearly 4 hours after ceremony ends assuming ceremony is not more than 30 minutes before guests have a place to sit down and eat?

By all means it's your day and what is important to you should def be the most key factor but recently, last week actually, I was a guest at a wedding that I only had to travel 3 hours to and it started at 5:30 dancing didn't start until 9:30, 4 hours later. I wanted to die.

You can totally tell me you hate my comment and I'll understand but I just thought id share my experiences.

Xo

@@KAT2015 ok I like your timeline. However; and I sware I'm not being a jerk just think about mexico mid day sun or even if it wasn't Mexico having ceremony begin at 3 and dancing not start until 8pm, 5 hours later? And then the nearly 4 hours after ceremony ends assuming ceremony is not more than 30 minutes before guests have a place to sit down and eat?

By all means it's your day and what is important to you should def be the most key factor but recently, last week actually, I was a guest at a wedding that I only had to travel 3 hours to and it started at 5:30 dancing didn't start until 9:30, 4 hours later. I wanted to die.

You can totally tell me you hate my comment and I'll understand but I just thought id share my experiences.

Xo

I know it seems long.  But keep in mind that the cocktail hour (which includes snacks) is right after the wedding, so that takes us to about 5pm.  Some of my guests are bringing kids, and we wanted to give them time to get them out of the sun, have a nap, clean them up etc.  We also didn't want to rush through our photos.

In truth - at most resorts you eat your lunch at noon or 1, lie on the beach until 4 or 5, go to your room, clean up, get dressed and have dinner around 7 or 8.  So we are still keeping in normal timelines for people's eating and we will have snacks at the cocktail hour.

I had a wedding I went to that had an hour or so between the cocktail hour and the dinner (actually probably closer to 2 - I was drinking and didn't notice!) and it worked well.  If people want, they can head off to the pool bar, or go back to their rooms for a drink and to cool off.  

I don't find it is much different than a wedding at home would be.  I am going to one in 2 weeks that has the ceremony at 2, and then cocktails at 5, dinner at 6 and dancing probably won't start until 7/8 depending on the speeches and formalities. Most weddings I have gone to have had a break and I like that.  Otherwise its a long day in heels. 

I want to enjoy all parts of my day, including participating in the cocktail hour with my guests (because they won't really seem me all day until then), and making sure I have time for photos (we're flying in a photographer so we want to do all our pics - family, friends etc.) and then making the reception on time because we ONLY can do from 7-10 (the area is only available from 7-10 as it is pool side).

I just hate feeling rushed, and I know my mum, my MIL/FIL, and anyone with kids is going to want to head inside to relax before the rest of the festivities get going!  Since everyone has a room they can actually relax instead of run in and out of.

Although we are debating some type of activity to fill that 2 hour void for people - a game of some sort for example.  Something optional where people aren't forced to be at point a, b, c, and d one after another.

But you're right - its personal preference and I completely understand what others want to do as well.  

• Like 1

I know it seems long. But keep in mind that the cocktail hour (which includes snacks) is right after the wedding, so that takes us to about 5pm. Some of my guests are bringing kids, and we wanted to give them time to get them out of the sun, have a nap, clean them up etc. We also didn't want to rush through our photos.

In truth - at most resorts you eat your lunch at noon or 1, lie on the beach until 4 or 5, go to your room, clean up, get dressed and have dinner around 7 or 8. So we are still keeping in normal timelines for people's eating and we will have snacks at the cocktail hour.

I had a wedding I went to that had an hour or so between the cocktail hour and the dinner (actually probably closer to 2 - I was drinking and didn't notice!) and it worked well. If people want, they can head off to the pool bar, or go back to their rooms for a drink and to cool off.

I don't find it is much different than a wedding at home would be. I am going to one in 2 weeks that has the ceremony at 2, and then cocktails at 5, dinner at 6 and dancing probably won't start until 7/8 depending on the speeches and formalities. Most weddings I have gone to have had a break and I like that. Otherwise its a long day in heels.

I want to enjoy all parts of my day, including participating in the cocktail hour with my guests (because they won't really seem me all day until then), and making sure I have time for photos (we're flying in a photographer so we want to do all our pics - family, friends etc.) and then making the reception on time because we ONLY can do from 7-10 (the area is only available from 7-10 as it is pool side).

I just hate feeling rushed, and I know my mum, my MIL/FIL, and anyone with kids is going to want to head inside to relax before the rest of the festivities get going! Since everyone has a room they can actually relax instead of run in and out of.

Although we are debating some type of activity to fill that 2 hour void for people - a game of some sort for example. Something optional where people aren't forced to be at point a, b, c, and d one after another.

But you're right - its personal preference and I completely understand what others want to do as well.

I think your schedule sounds perfect!!! In fact in 90% of wedding I attend the timeline is almost identical to yours and I never feel like I'm starved or bored... And it allows for a bit of down time or refresh before dinner. Your actual reception timeline sounds good too! Your ceremony time is a perfect time for a wedding... The sun will allow time for photos afterward and it will be fabulous!

Thanks for sharing your timeline!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk