Photo

Is It Rude To Not Include Both Names Of A Couple?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Lia33

Lia33
  • 232 posts
  • Wedding Date:July 18, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Valentin Imperial Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

I just received my STD's and was just wondering what the etiquette is in addressing the envelopes. My fiancé has many friends who are in long term relationships or married but isn't sure of their spouse's names.

Is it rude to just put the name of the friend on the envelope? Or on the invitation the name of the one we know and "and guest" or "plus one"? I feel like for the married couples both names should be included but I'm not sure if it's necessary to go back to find out their names. 

#2 kmk2016

kmk2016
  • Moderators
  • 1,468 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

I would either put Mr and Mrs_____ or find their names (Facebook creeping or asking around- or have FI text his friends and simply say, "we are sending out our wedding std and wanted to address them correctly- and I'm having a mind blank on your wife's name"... Guys don't care about that stuff and it's better than leaving their name off the STD!

I would try as much as possible not to use "and guest" on the envelope... As it's impersonal.

#3 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

I agree with @kmk2016

I found out the names of everyone who was in a relationship.  Whether thru Facebook, asking around, or flat out asking the other person's spouse.   I had to do that anyways because I also wanted to make sure I had the correct spelling of everyone's names.

If you really don't know and don't want to ask - Mr and Mrs Smith is totally ok too!    Probably just easier to ask and get it now as you will need to know them time and time over thru the whole process.

When my friends were clearly single I put 'and guest' because what else can you do? lol.  I wanted them to know they were more than welcome to bring someone with them.

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#4 Tiffany1221

Tiffany1221
  • 150 posts
  • Wedding Location:Jamaica!
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

Exactly, getting both names will help throughout your WHOLE process. Start creeping lol

The Future Mrs. Santos 

#5 Lia33

Lia33
  • 232 posts
  • Wedding Date:July 18, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Valentin Imperial Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

Creeping it is! loll Getting my fiancé to do these things is torture LOL! You're right, guys do not care about these things. At all. Many of them are his friends so I guess the nagging begins!

#6 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Haha yes men! But it can be as easy as 'can you confirm the spelling of your name for me?' For ones you can't find on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#7 TheBHolders

TheBHolders
  • 363 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 17, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Moon Palace Cancun
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

Yes it can be easy to find out, there's nothing wrong with asking for clarification. It would be wrong to just put one persons name... hence one of my previous posts

So far 79 adult guests + bride and groom + 13 kids = 164 room nights. Focused on planning without stressing.

event.png

#8 LauraM

LauraM
  • 232 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 1, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace, Cancun Mexico

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

Please do your best to get both names. My fiance and I have been together for 5 years. One of his co-workers (who I have never met) recently sent a wedding invite to just my fiance and "guest." I was so offended. I know it's petty and seems like such a small detail, but take the time to find out their names. I creeped facebook and recruited our parents to help us get everyones names and childrens names so that people wouldn't feel the way I felt. Good luck!

#9 VegasBride121314

VegasBride121314
  • 204 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
  • Wedding Location:LasVegas, NV
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

It's never a good feeling to be the plus one or guest. If you can find out the names of all the invitees, it would be greatly appreciated.  Good luck! 

Love over 50 is still LOVE!!!

Invitations out! RSVPs in

Us, them (bridal party), + 48 guests!! 

#10 KAT2015

KAT2015
  • 115 posts
  • Wedding Date:July 4, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Calgary, AB, Canada
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

I was struggling with the same thing with my guests.  My FIs family mostly lives in England, and I've never met them so it was difficult to navigate.

For those that are married, my FMIL actually filled me in - I sent her the list of who we had and when she sent back the addresses she included the names of the married couples.  She also let me know the best way to send along the invites to the second cousins (my FI is the same age as them and grew up with them for a bit) was to send it to the first cousins that are their parents.  Which helps me - because now I can shove a bunch in a bigger envelope!

When it came to anyone who I didn't know the status (and because we are so far out I didn't want to put the name of a bf/gf just in case something happens within 9 months), I addressed it to the primary invite, and let them  know that they could expect an invitation for them and a guest shortly.  That way they can pick who they want and aren't obligated to ask a bf/gf right now (where as if the name was on the envelope - awkward!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users