Affordable Package Rates Out Of Canada?

Hello,

I'm currently planning a wedding in Mexico basically just because it's cheap. I'm not particularly attached to the country. Has anyone found affordable rates for the DR, and if so what resort/city?

Thanks!

@@Maggietron are you working with a Travel Agent? They should be able to look into this for you! Also have you thought about Cuba as a destination? It can be a lot more affordable than DR and Mexico in some cases! Also depending on your departure dates as well as your departure city will affect your package prices.

I agree, you are working with laurielee right? Did you call her? she can most definitely offer you opinions on what would be cheapest but still give you the look/feel/qualities you are looking for.

@@Maggietron are you working with a Travel Agent? They should be able to look into this for you! Also have you thought about Cuba as a destination? It can be a lot more affordable than DR and Mexico in some cases! Also depending on your departure dates as well as your departure city will affect your package prices.

I've talked to a couple travel agents about the Mexico plan, I just want to figure out if DR is feasible before I start looking into that. We're looking at Nov 2015, I'm just trying to get a rough idea of how prices compare to Mexico. Cuba is a no go because we have family that live in the states. 

I've talked to a couple travel agents about the Mexico plan, I just want to figure out if DR is feasible before I start looking into that. We're looking at Nov 2015, I'm just trying to get a rough idea of how prices compare to Mexico. Cuba is a no go because we have family that live in the states.

Did you do the comparison on tripcentral.ca that's a good starting point

• Like 1

That may because there are less "low star" resorts in DR... Did you try comparing just the same star level/month and choose same type of region? (Punta Cana and Mayan are similar, whereby Puerta Plata and PV have more similarities).

I have been to both countries in most regions several times and personally find the food and people better in Mexico (when comparing 5 star). Jmo

• Like 1

I concur. We have been to the Dominican twice and we love it there, but for different reasons. When it came for our wedding, we decided on Mexico for the same reasons. Food is way better and people are a lot nicer. Not to say that we didn't meet a lot of nice people in the Dominican, it was just different. I would definitely go the Mexico route if I were you. Also depending on where you are located in Canada, the DR would be more expensive if you are out west like a few of us. Mexico is definitely the cheaper option. What about the Puerto Vallarta side? My cousin got married there, it was cheaper for the US guests and Canadian guests and their wedding was very very reasonable and they got married off the resort.. check out Martoca gardens on here. :)

I agree, everything is great but for different reasons.

I have been to Cuba and Mexico.  Cuba (IMO) trumps Mexico on beauty, people being friendly, and safety... but Mexico trumps it on quality of resorts and food, etc.  EDIT: Ok, Mexico has VERY friendly people, I guess in Cuba we just ventured more out on our own and people welcomed us into their homes even.  Just was different.

When we first thought of a DW I had considered the DR because I have never been.  When I initially spoke to a TA at Flight Centre they told me Mexico would be our cheapest bet.  Unsure though if that is because I am out west, like someone said above.  You would probably have to flight East to Toronto if you are in western Canada which would hike up the cost.  

Nonetheless, I thought once or twice that maybe I should have sought out more info on the DR -- so if you really want to, I say you should. You only get married once.

As kmk2016 said above, there are cheaper regions to all locations.    Puerto Vallarta would be cheaper than the Mayan -- in the Mayan we are paying $1565 from Calgary, but the Grand Palladium in Puerto Vallarta came back at $1250 which is A LOT cheaper... But if you wanted off the beaten path I would highly recommend looking into Ixtapa. It was 2nd on my list of resorts, but my fiance really wanted to see the Mayan.    Also, I have heard that Puerto Plata in the DR is cheaper than Punta Cana.     

Not sure I helped at all, but good luck!   And you have time, so price everything out, so you know you made the right decision!!!

Edited by calgarybride2015

Something else to consider..... there is the new virus out - the chicken one - that has really affected DR that is passed by mosquitos. It's curable, but from what the news is saying, very, very painful. Just something to think about. November is a heavy bug season.