23 replies to this topic

#1 TheBHolders

TheBHolders
  • 363 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 17, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Moon Palace Cancun
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

I have my eyes on a few dresses, but my wedding date is 2 years out. I feel strange to start trying on dresses and asking people to come with me. I was thinking I'll start dress shopping in June since it's a year out. But, I would love to see what fits me before I drag my family hours away from their homes to look at dresses with me. I thought of going alone to see what I like. Then bring them with me to make my final decision.

So far 79 adult guests + bride and groom + 13 kids = 164 room nights. Focused on planning without stressing.

event.png

#2 LauraM

LauraM
  • 232 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 1, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace, Cancun Mexico

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

That's a good idea (going alone to see what you actually like on your body) - I picked a bunch of cap-sleeved simple dresses... tried them all on & ended up picking a strapless bling-ed out dress. Go play with styles so that you can have you'r full "real" appointment with you'r friends and family to pick a beautiful gown!

#3 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

I was on the same boat. I started looking online two years out. I was already engaged but I also felt bad asking people to come with me. I bought my dress a bit over a year before the wedding, in June this year. It's still a long way out but I couldn't stop myself anymore haha. I don't think people will mind coming with you if you have no idea what you like. That's half the fun! I felt so blindsided on my first appointment. I didn't know what I liked or what I didn't. They all felt pretty to me unless they were really ugly but it was fun nonetheless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

event.png

#4 bkprettygirl

bkprettygirl
  • 122 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 1, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Costa Rica

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

a year out is a good time to start looking in person.... my dress is going to take 9 months to come in and then its a while for alterations...

#5 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

a year out is a good time to start looking in person.... my dress is going to take 9 months to come in and then its a while for alterations...

9 months?? wow!!!

Mine took 2.5, and they figure 3-3.5 for bridesmaids.

We shall see.

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#6 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

A year out is good. Most bridal shops will tell you a year. Some styles take longer than others too.

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#7 stefadile

stefadile
  • 192 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 30, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Negril , Jamaica
  • LocationIreland

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:42 AM

About a year to 6 months before the wedding. Most bridal shops will need 6 months to get your dress in, unless you're buying a sample dress. I bought my dress way too early, and ended up changing my mind, because my vision for the day changed. I ended up selling that dress and getting another one. Good luck and happy shopping

#8 kmk2016

kmk2016
  • Moderators
  • 1,468 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

About a year to 6 months before the wedding. Most bridal shops will need 6 months to get your dress in, unless you're buying a sample dress. I bought my dress way too early, and ended up changing my mind, because my vision for the day changed. I ended up selling that dress and getting another one. Good luck and happy shopping

6 months is a bit tight if ordering a designer dress and leaving time for alterations! Especially if you may not find THE dress immediately. A year out will allow you time for your ideal dress to come in (which can take over 6 months with some high end designers), and not be stressed.

#9 bkprettygirl

bkprettygirl
  • 122 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 1, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Costa Rica

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

yea.. its a Hayley Paige ... and she has been taking a little longer lately they said

9 months?? wow!!!

Mine took 2.5, and they figure 3-3.5 for bridesmaids.

We shall see.

#10 malyna

malyna
  • 346 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 14, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Excellence Playa Mujeres

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

@bkprettygirl I want a hayley Paige dress sooooo badly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users