How Does The Letter And Gift To Your Fiance Work? When To Give It?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 linaco80

• 264 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hello Girls,

I keep reading a lot (covering lots of topics going on in a wedding) and want to learn how does the letter to my fiance and gift work prior to our ceremony or after or when? I was watching videos  and I see that the bride writes a letter and sends a gift to the groom and he does the same while they get ready for the ceremomy. I am not American and I have less knowledge as of how the tradition goes here, my fiancee is American and pretty sure he knows more than me. We are getting married in Mexico, still the tradition or some will be followed. Also if this topic has been discussed before please send me the link of the thread (i dont meant to create more and more if this is under discussion already) thanks so much!

Check my planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...-planning-tips/

#2 tygrrlily

• 831 posts
    • Wedding Date:December 19, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Beach Palace in Cancun, Mexico
    • LocationToronto

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

The bride and groom often exchange gifts to be opened while getting ready. It's nice for the photographer/videographer to capture that moment. Often, the groom gets the bride jewelry of some sort, and the bride gets the groom a watch or boudoir shots or something along those lines. And usually, there's a card where the bride and groom will write a nice letter for the other to read before the ceremony while opening the gifts

Married December 19, 2014 at Beach Palace Resort in Cancun, Mexico

My Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...-resort-121914/

My Wedding Review

Part 1 - http://www.bestdesti...1914/?p=1881197

Part 2 - http://www.bestdesti...1914/?p=1881590

Part 3 - http://www.bestdesti...1914/?p=1881861

#3 linaco80

• 264 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

@tygrrlily thank you! ALL new to me :) besides the entire planning... lots going on for a DW

Check my planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...-planning-tips/

#4 kmk2016

• Moderators
      • 1,468 posts
      • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
      • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
      • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

@tygrrlily thank you! ALL new to me :) besides the entire planning... lots going on for a DW

Keep in mind, many of these ideas are things that are considered traditional for a wedding of any sort- but are not necessary if you and your FI feel they aren't "you". Do what seems right. My first wedding- he bought be a living room set I had my eye on that was in my home as a surprise when we got home from our honeymoon- and I got him a watch.... But this time around, my FI has expensive "watch" taste, and since we are paying for the wedding ourselves, we decided that we would make our gifts to one another more sentimental/hand done... A letter that is from my FI that I read in a quiet moment before the chaos of the day starts (and before I put on my mascara haha) would mean more to me than anything... So don't worry about doing anything big! A little note, or a small gift is nice- but don't let it add to your stress! I have heard of brides just writing a simple note and adding a pair of cool socks "in case he has cold feet"... Which I thought was cute.

I think it's just a nice way to take a quiet moment and remember why you are doing this... Cause a wedding day can be crazy busy... And it forces you to stop for a moment and be thankful for the man you are about to marry!

Have fun with it and do as little or as much as feels right for you as a couple!

#5 MJTK

• 213 posts
      • Wedding Date:March 17, 2015
      • Wedding Location:Grand Palladium Mayan Riviera
      • LocationSaskatchewan Canada

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

I'm not sure my FI would be up for this but it sounds cool...This is obviously something you would discuss with the other person cause if I do it and he doesn't he would feel bad he didn't. .

#6 acw271011

• Moderators
      • 3,123 posts
      • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
      • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
      • LocationToronto Area

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

There are no hard and fast traditions anymore. You can definitely make your own! Giving gifts to each other isn't mandatory. If it's something you'll be comfortable with, go for it. But don't think you have to do it!

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

#7 Tatimrivera

• 156 posts
      • Wedding Date:October 10, 2014
      • Wedding Location:Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
      • LocationEither lobby or lazy river

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:58 PM

I am definitely writing a heartfelt letter to my groom before the ceremony. I have not decided on a gift (because he's super picky), but I figured with the letter he will be grateful.
      Good Luck :)

#8 VegasBride121314

• 204 posts
      • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
      • Wedding Location:LasVegas, NV
      • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

My man is the worst gift giver! Engagement ring included! So, this is one thing we will not be doing. I am down for a cute little note to be read prior to the ceremony. That sounds very touching, before make-up of course! 

Love over 50 is still LOVE!!!

Invitations out! RSVPs in

Us, them (bridal party), + 48 guests!! 

#9 abeals11388

• 30 posts
      • Wedding Date:June 27, 2014
      • Wedding Location:Cabo san Lucas, Mexico
      • LocationFort Worth, Texas

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Our 4 year old delivers both our gifts to each other!! He got gifts from daddy to mommy and then took daddy's to him!!Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114567.524075.jpg   87.36KB   3 downloads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 Lilian84

• 172 posts
      • Wedding Location:Florida
      • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

Our 4 year old delivers both our gifts to each other!! He got gifts from daddy to mommy and then took daddy's to him!!attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1407114567.524075.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is adorable!!!

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users