Catholic vows on the beach?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Leia78

Leia78
  • VIP Member
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

I know the Catholic church will not perform a Catholic wedding on the beach , and I just asked my WC, Maye, if a Catholic priest will come to the site to at least bless us. She said no, priests do not go outside of the church to do that. So now I'm wondering if we can we say Catholic vows on the beach?

#2 Christine

Christine
    • VIP Member
    • 21,514 posts
    • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
    • Wedding Location:Napa, California
    • LocationReno, NV

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

I am going to say no, because the officiant would not be able to perform that type of ceremony
    Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#3 Leia78

Leia78
    • VIP Member
    • 2,459 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Christine
      I am going to say no, because the officiant would not be able to perform that type of ceremony
      I guess, deep down inside, I had a feeling that would be the answer.

#4 Christine

Christine
      • VIP Member
      • 21,514 posts
      • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
      • Wedding Location:Napa, California
      • LocationReno, NV

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

from what I know of the other catholic girls on the forum, most have gotten married in the states in their own church and had a symbolic ceremony in Cabo. I know that a few have found places in Mexico to have catholic ceremonies. Edyta got married in a church in Cabo I believe. I know in Cancun there is an outdoor place that you can get married, so maybe Cabo has something. Just no beach for sure.
      Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#5 Copita

Copita
      • 979 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:40 AM

You cannot have a Catholic ceremony of any kind of the beach, which I think is silly, and I really wanted to do this, too.
        We are bringing my mother's pastor down perform a religious ceremony on the beach, but it will not be Catholic.
        Good luck!

#6 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
        • 26,161 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:16 AM

No go for any outdoor Catholic wedding in PV - maybe Cabo is different but I'd be surprised if anywhere in Mexico you can have a valid Catholic ceremony on the beach. Even in the US it's damn difficult, not impossible, but you basically have to know a renegade priest to pull it off outside of a church/chapel.

We did a Catholic ceremony in the Bay Area after our Mexico wedding. I'd be happy to help if you have any questions....I am very familiar with the procedures.

#7 Yari

Yari
          • VIP Member
          • 10,928 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:43 PM

I'm Catholic too and unable to have a Catholic wedding at all since my FI was married in the Catholic church before. So sad!

#8 Betsy

Betsy

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 4,513 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:26 PM

At Moon Palace in Cancun they offer a Catholic Wedding Package - it is $810 extra - it takes place in a gazebo overlooking the ocean - you just have to have your priest give the ok that you get married in a different parish. We were going to do that which is why we booked at MP but then we decided it would be just as easy to get married w/ the free package and have our priest bless the marriage when we got back - more $$ for the honeymoon I guess :)

#9 Elaine&Rich

Elaine&Rich
              • 14 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

Leia - please keep us posted as to what solution you find. This is a question we've asked many of our friends, but have yet to find any definite solution.

thanks

elaine&rich

#10 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 5,752 posts
                • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

no matter what location you are, regardless of country or city, you cannot have a catholic ceremony outside of a catholic church or chapel. we're in the process of trying to book the catholic church in san jose del cabo, but have sort of a backup plan with a renegade priest who also happens to be an extended family member of my FI's, who we would have to fly in. it's a pain in the butt, but we're both catholic and we want to do it right...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users