TA asking for deposit before showing rates???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JABride

• 145 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I usually book my travels online on my own and this is the first time that I am dealing with a Travel agent for a group booking for my wedding and since I am not familiar with the process, I would like your opinion on one request my TA made. The travel agent I am currently dealing with is based out of Toronto Canada and after giving her all my information and her team making researches, she would not give me the rates until I give a $1000 deposit by committing to using her services. The $1000 would be applied to any outstanding balances for my travel

Is this normal? My fiance and I are uncomfortable commiting for something that we do not even know if she can get good prices for us ...

One thing is that she says she guarantees a gift for our 1 year wedding anniversary ... a free weekend in Las Vegas (flight and hotel)

Anyway, I just wanted to see if some of you ladies had to put a deposit without even being able to see the group rates being offered ...

P.S: If there are TAs reading this that think they can help with my group booking, feel free to send me a message
    My fiance and I live in Atlanta. My fiance's family and friends are from Toronto Canada and my family and friends are from Montreal Canada. We have the majority of our guests coming either from Toronto or Montreal but some others from other parts in the US (GA, NY, FL) ... we are expecting about 100-130 guests ....

#2 starchild

• Moderators
    • 26,161 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

Ooooh...sounds fishy to me. Maybe one of our TA's can shed some light on it, but I wouldn't mess with it.

#3 TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
      • 11,659 posts
      • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:25 PM

some TA's ask for a service fee or retainer...i have thought of doing this but don't yet...if i did, it would be like $100 or something that went towards their travel cost...$1000 is very steep.

pm TA jennifer, she specializes in jamaica and may be able to shed more light on this.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
      Awards and recognition: 
      Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
      Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
      Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
      sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
      Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#4 Heidi

• 2,642 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:28 PM

I had to pay a retainer fee for my TA, but it was only $150 and is going to be put towards my final trip payment. I'd be a little suspicious of a $1000 deposit....
        Married April 4, 2008 at the Riu Ocho Rios!

#5 JenniferSS

• Banned
        • 1,047 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

I've seen retainers all over the board (from $25 - $350 and everything in between) for destination weddings but I'd have to say that I have never seen one at $1000.00 without any prices or feedback. Most TA's will provide a basic consultation without the retainer. This usually would include basic room pricing amongst other things.

I too would be leary about this particular TA unless they have come highly recommended from several reputable sources.

If you'd like my assistance feel free to PM me!

Warmest Regards-
          TA Jennifer

#6 JulieG

• VIP Member
          • 8,323 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

Can you tell me the name of the agency. PM me if you do not want to post it. I will look into them for you to make sure they are legit. It does seem pretty steep to me. I paid no deposit or retainer to my TA. I can give you her info if you want, she is also based in Toronto. We had some guests from Montreal as well. They specialize in DW's.

#7 Spazz

• VIP Member
            • 10,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

$1000 sounds like a lot if you don't know the rates she can get you yet. If you've been referred to her and know that she is reputable, that may be ok; but if not, I'd be a little leary of it.

#8 Spazz

• VIP Member
              • 10,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

Sorry...double post!

#9 JABride

• 145 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

Thanks a lot for your input ladies ... I knew it sounded a little fishy .. now I know it is ... I am not giving them my money ... Julesr I'll PM you the info .. THANKS!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users