Photo

Need Help With English-French Bilingual Invites!

Dominican Republic bilingual french Invitations

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kerrierf

Kerrierf
  • 107 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 5, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Palladium in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

Hi everyone!

I have a bit of a dilemma.  My fiance and I are getting married in Punta Cana next year, and we're looking for a reasonably priced supplier for wedding invitations. The catch?  His family pretty much only speaks French, and my family is pretty much all English!  We designed our own Save the Dates (it was a cute post-card with the information in English on one side and French on the other), but that process made us VERY aware of how long it would take to do our own invites.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Kerrie

#2 kmk2016

kmk2016
  • Moderators
  • 1,468 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

I would personally do two versions... It will keep your invites looking clean and you can maintain the same style for both your French and English versions. Simply design and the input the translated text in the French version before printing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

I agree with @kmk2016. I would do two separate ones and mail them that way. It will definitely be much cleaner and nicer looking. I speak both languages so I know the difficulty you're facing. I don't know how fancy you want your invites, but you could always look at Vistaprint to see if they have something that would work for you. That way you could do the same design, but just change your text between the english and french. Plus they always have sales on for invites.

Good luck!

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#4 Kerrierf

Kerrierf
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

Thanks @kmk2016 and @acw271011.  

I'm going for something clean and simple (which hasn't been easy just with our colours of butter yellow, lime green, and light gray).  Yellow seems very trendy for fall/rustic weddings, but as that isn't our look at all, it's been a challenge!  I've attached a copy of our Save the Dates, but we're open to changing things up.

The appealing reasons for wanting to find a good compromise was (1) not having to order 2 different sets and (2) the bilingualism is a part of who we are as a couple and our day-to-day lives.

At this point I'm taking all suggestions though - so if you have any for sites for good places to order I'd be more than grateful!

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   585.1KB   5 downloads

#5 Sara1603

Sara1603
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

I don't really have any suggestions but I wanted to say I love the idea of bilingual invites. I have lots if French and English in my family so I am used to seeing both languages on cards ect. I would definately do one

#6 VegasBride121314

VegasBride121314
    • 204 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
    • Wedding Location:LasVegas, NV
    • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

I think you can get away with one invite. It's all in the layout and the wording. You have time on your side so if you start early it won't seem like such a huge project. Good luck! 

Love over 50 is still LOVE!!!

Invitations out! RSVPs in

Us, them (bridal party), + 48 guests!! 

#7 Kerrierf

Kerrierf
    • 107 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

Thanks!  We actually ended up ordering separate invitations.  We'll definitely be doing bilingual programs and what not though.

#8 Lilian84

Lilian84
    • 172 posts
    • Wedding Location:Florida
    • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Thanks @kmk2016 and @acw271011.  

I'm going for something clean and simple (which hasn't been easy just with our colours of butter yellow, lime green, and light gray).  Yellow seems very trendy for fall/rustic weddings, but as that isn't our look at all, it's been a challenge!  I've attached a copy of our Save the Dates, but we're open to changing things up.

The appealing reasons for wanting to find a good compromise was (1) not having to order 2 different sets and (2) the bilingualism is a part of who we are as a couple and our day-to-day lives.

At this point I'm taking all suggestions though - so if you have any for sites for good places to order I'd be more than grateful!

I understand, I am also french and although most of my family and people invited from Quebec are bilingual, I also feel like it's part of who I am and would like to incorporate it in our invitation and other aspects of our wedding. Still trying to figure out what I want to do. 

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend

#9 cankem80

cankem80
    • 185 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 22, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Montego Bay Jamaica
    • LocationSt. Louis, Mo

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

great idea
    great idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users