AGM13

@@tehopper yes go to a TA first..they will often give you some ideas at what resorts from their experiences are good. Mine gave me books to look at and recommended 3 resorts within the area we were interested in. We wanted the Mayan Riviera because it's the carribean side of Mexico and it's our favorite area. So I guess it was easier for her to select 3 because we had kind of narrowed down a little. But that's what the TA can do for you as well..discuss what your looking for with her and she will be able to guide you in the right direction. We came home and Google the resorts and we were able to make decision.

Yes you still get the group rate if there's different departure places even in different provinces. Our TA was able to give us the deal through sunwing for every 10 ppl that book the 11th person was free. We have some guests who chose to book themselves because e they are partial to westjet so we didn't get them in on our seats but I never told anyone about our deal and didn't pressure them to book with us..I was just happy they are coming no matter who they book with. We earned 2 seats free :)

Thanks you guys!  This is very helpful!  I will definitely start there.  I love the Mayan Riveria as well, but also thinking Dominican Republic could be nice (but have never been).  I will go talk to a TA as a starting point and compare prices and flights from Regina to help narrow down a resort.

I've been to DR and the beach was amazing...I loved it there but I got sick so I've never gone back...we chose Mexico because it used to be the cheapest destination but times have changed and it's not really any cheaper than DR or Cuba..Although don't quote me because I haven't price compared lately. I really wanted to get married in Jamaica but I could make all our family and friends pay that price.

Happy Planning and you're definitely off to a good start with this forum..I've learned so much from all these terrific brides to be and past brides :D

I had a hard time finding a TA too. Ended up with one in BC and I am in AB.

We also got group rates for each city and also got bonuses for every 17 free. (Air Canada). Our resort also has a booking deal.

I wanted DR too as I've never been but the travel company we first went too (and got nowhere - flight centre) told us Mexico will be the cheapest. But I know wonder if that's true.

Cuba is gorgeous. Gorgeous!!!!! Loved every second but couldn't make my guests eat that food lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are several amazing Canadian TAs that us brides here have recommended that specialize in destination weddings- most have great relationships with the tour operators and have been invaluable! I know there are threads where we have given suggestions of good people to email/call and see what they offer.... But if you need reccos just ask.

Welcome to BDW, tehopper, and Congrats on your upcoming destination wedding!!! As you can see from your fellow brides already, there's lots of helpful info, advice and support to help you with your planning decisions here, so you're already off to a great start :)

For some added inspiration, and to see how gorgeous our Mayan Riviera is, here are some magical wedding "moments that matter" Linc (a fellow Canadian :) captured at a recent wedding...weeeeeeeeeee! 

10498204_10152558963544487_7865765403738

to see more magical moments.....here's a link to some of the most inspiring ones - enjoy :)

Wishing you all the best with your plans - cheers!!!     team MTM :)

Brand new as well! I feel like I'm kind of in the same boat! Newly engaged and I know I want a destination wedding. I'm thinking Mexico possibly November 2015, but I have really have nothing past that. I'm not even 100% set on country yet. But we do want all inclusive. I'm from Canada as well (Regina, SK) and unfortunately we don't have as much access to companies as the larger cities, but there are travel agents.

I really need advice! Would people recommend talking with a travel agent first about possible packages and then deciding on a resort from there? Or the opposite, pick my resort and sort out travel later. I'm a little worried since all inclusive travel companies from Regina are limited (Westjet, Sunwing). I will also have guests from various Canadian cities and I'm not sure if I can get a group package if people come from different locations.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!

haha are you me? I'm in the same place. I am leaning towards the Bahia Principe Coba for November 2015, but the TAs I've talked to say rates won't come out until October.  I'm not stuck on Mexico, but I figure it will be the easiest and cheapest for my guests. 

Thanks you guys! This is very helpful! I will definitely start there. I love the Mayan Riveria as well, but also thinking Dominican Republic could be nice (but have never been). I will go talk to a TA as a starting point and compare prices and flights from Regina to help narrow down a resort.

I have to say the beaches in DR are amazing, better than the Mexican ones I've seen at least. Mexican beaches are still great though. We chose Mexico due to pricing. Check prices in both areas. I know what we were able to get a nicer hotel in Mexico for the same price but you never know.

haha are you me? I'm in the same place. I am leaning towards the Bahia Principe Coba for November 2015, but the TAs I've talked to say rates won't come out until October. I'm not stuck on Mexico, but I figure it will be the easiest and cheapest for my guests.

The TA I'm using has been able to get rates really far in advance for another bride here. For us she got us prices 15 months before. She also told us whether there prices were good or if we were better off waiting a bit because they would probably come down. Let me know if you want her info. She's based in Calgary but works with people across Canada

• Like 1