There or here

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 Debs

Debs
  • VIP Member
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:41 AM

Just a note too, I was just on Debbie's Dominican forum and there are girls that were married in May and June who have STILL not received their marriage license from the DR. So take that into consideration too. They have not been able to change their name on key documents or add to a spouse's insurance etc because you need a marriage cert for that.

Something to keep in mind when you are making your decision. :)

#12 JulieG

JulieG
    • VIP Member
    • 8,323 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Debs
      Just a note too, I was just on Debbie's Dominican forum and there are girls that were married in May and June who have STILL not received their marriage license from the DR. So take that into consideration too. They have not been able to change their name on key documents or add to a spouse's insurance etc because you need a marriage cert for that.

Something to keep in mind when you are making your decision. :)
      I wonder if location and/or time of year matters because both of my friends got their's back in under 3 months. They were both married in Punta Cana in April.

#13 foxytv

foxytv
      • VIP Member
      • 7,740 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

I've spoken to some girls who got theirs back fast and others who waited almost 6 months. I think the DR plays by the beat of their own drum, so there's probably no standard -- although they say 3-4 months.

Another reason there is no way we are doing the legal stuff there. Just too much hassle (not to mention the cost!).

#14 Bavaro-Princess

Bavaro-Princess
        • 92 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:18 PM

ok so i think is best i play it safe... i am going to get my Marriage License in New york... and then what after the license what do i do?

i am having my pastor marry us in the dominican republic do i wait untill then... or do i have to have all of the legality done here signed by a judge and then get married by my pastor... sorry guys im being stupid i just dont know...

#15 Debs

Debs
          • VIP Member
          • 7,104 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

Maybe it won't be an issue if your pastor is doing your ceremony because he's the one who issues you the marriage certificate. I think the delay is when you go with their justice of the peace. There is only one for the whole of the DR, and with so many weddings you can imagine how busy that would be.

#16 Debs

Debs
            • VIP Member
            • 7,104 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

Maybe it won't be an issue if your pastor is doing your ceremony because he's the one who issues you the marriage certificate. I think the delay is when you go with their justice of the peace. There is only one for the whole of the DR, and with so many weddings you can imagine how busy that would be.

#17 Girl_Ride

Girl_Ride
              • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

We'll be getting married January 2008 in Punta Cana. We plan on legally getting married in Canada sometime in December. However, our Jan 08 wedding will be the one we celebrate. We are not telling our guests we are doing this - they won't know the difference as the same ceremony will be performed even though it is only a renewal of vows....

This will save us probably $300 in translation fees. The wedding package vs. renewal of vows package is also about $700 more expensive...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users