Marinah84's Planning Thread - 3/14/15 - Crown Paradise Club Cancun

My sons birthday is March 14 so what a perfect date! I almost cried when I saw the sign that says " daddy wait Gil you see her" I love it. I might do that and have it say " daddy wait til you see mama!" Awesome!

• Like 1

Update 6.23.14

So I've pretty much gotten EVERYTHING in the mail from my post a few days ago...plus our favors!  I also spent some time this weekend working on bridesmaid bouquets - and yes, I spent most of it with my family & cleaning the house.  But I felt compelled to do SOMETHING :)

I'm giddy - everything looks amazing!

Here are some updates and my To Do list!

Favors - Color Changing Stadium Cups!

These seriously turned out amazing, absolutely perfect.  And they will be light enough/compact enough to easily pack!  And they were just under 1.80 per cup.  How awesome is that?!  Here's the Etsy shop I bought them from (they also sell them on ebay under the same name - same prices):  https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyWeddingStore2

I had them customize the design to our names, the graphic & put "Pi Day Cancun, Mexico" on the back.

I also had them split the colors into 3 - blue, green, pink.  

They ended up sending more pink than blue, which is okay, I'll just make sure that all couples bags get at least 1 pink and I think we have more single girls coming than guys.  Either way, combined, the blue/green outnumber the pink so I think we'll be fine!

Reception Sandals:

I bought these off ebay for less than $20, and I think they'll work great for when I'm ready to kick off my heels!  The auction said size 10, but they are actually size 11.  Which is ok, because they feel like they run small.  (I'm short and have big feet...the shortness is why I'll be wearing heels at least part of the time LOL).  Please ignore my ugly feet, thanks!!

Mail Items:

I did get the seashore brads for the invitations, as well as the garters in the mail today.  And replacement starfish from the ones my dogs chewed...grrr.  They look like the pictures, so I won't waste your time posting them again :)

Centerpieces:

I went to Walmart and Dollar Tree this weekend, because I got our submersible LED lights in the mail on Friday.  I fell in love with this and am using it as my inspiration:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ac/f8/32/acf8321e0d33fbd2a837b658d47a5b14.jpg

However, I want to be economical with vases - they are expensive and it's likely they will break!  The Dollar Tree had a cylinder 7.5 inch vase that I liked, and Walmart had a 10 inch vase (for 4x the price, and it was one of the cheaper ones...), but I didn't find a small one and didn't like how just the 2 looked.  So I decided I could either get 3 of the same, or do 3 different ones (mismatch on purpose!).  

So in the interest of saving money AND carry on space, I went with mismatch on purpose!

They worked out to less than $10 per table, and that's including some dollar store containers to pack the vases in!

I will be filling the vases with water and probably putting some sand on the bottom (both free at the resort, haha!)

List of Pieces for 4 tables (we'll have 2-3 tables and a sweetheart table.  If we get enough guests for 4 tables, I'll just do something different for a sweetheart table or get more supplies):

• 3 vases per table (12 total)
  • 3 blue submersible LED lights (12 total)
  • 4 silk orchids (16 total)
  • Half a bag sea glass (2 bags total - spent $10 before tax at Walmart, will check out craft stores & return if I can find better/cheaper)

I got 24 submersible lights, and will take them with me (extras though the lights are supposed to last a really long time).

Bridesmaid Bikini Bags/Wedding Day Emergency Kits:

In addition to customized robes, I'm putting together a bikini bag ($4 each at Walmart) that will have little wedding day essentials in it.  I've got travel hairspray, lotion, mouthwash, hand sanitizer clips and a bunch of other stuff.  I've also got some items to make a "Couples Kit" for them  - it'll include condoms & lube, for sure, and possibly some other fun stuff.  All my girls are married or going to be, and they are all bringing their hubby.  My son was conceived on a work award trip to Mexico, haha, so safety first! ;)  It'll be a funny gag gift type of thing that will be actually useful :)  Bags are seriously cute in person, and the inside is waterproof, so it'll be great for the rest of the week!  I'm using puff paint to put their names on them.

"I Do" shoe stickers:  

I was able to snag one of these stickers on ebay for 2.49 shipped!  So if you want it, keep an eye on ebay haha :)

On to the To Do Lists!  I'm sure I don't have everything, but these are some of the main things on my list:

To Do (Short term list):

• Set Wedding Week Timeline - It's a lot tougher when you have 2 young kids to plan a wedding & honeymoon.  We have to get that cemented down so I can talk to the travel agent, and get our resort(s) booked!
  • Invitations - Hubby printed out the PDF at work, along with the jacket template, so I'm going to play with that tonight when he gets home.  He said he has a color laserjet printer at work that he can probably use to print stuff...eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!  That would be amazing and save us some money!  (His boss said it was fine, how cool is that?!).  Goal is to have them completely done by mid-July, as FI family is coming in town end of July for my daughter's 3rd birthday.  Hey, it saves on stamps, and they can give them to his family up there!
  • Starfish Boutonnieres - Still need ribbon for one, but have everything ready to go to assemble!  Now to find my hot glue gun...
  • Photographer - I got a few recommendations on several affordable photographers who offer TTD sessions, and I'm pretty set between 2-3 of them.  Have to get pricing from the 3rd and then will sit down and decide.  Shout out to @@tygrrlily for all her help/recommendations so far!
  • Bridesmaid Shoes - Considering getting my bridesmaid flip flops for the day of the wedding, and putting a starfish brooch to customize them.  I ordered 2 of the brooches to put on my resort shoes, so if I like them, I'll go ahead and get 6 more for shoes for them.  
  • Chapstick Labels - Labels & waterproof sleeves ordered, label created and chapstick in hand.  Just need to get the last 2 supplies & assemble!
  • Centerpieces - I got some "bling" jeweled ribbon to add, so once I get that, will hot glue it to the vases
  • Bridal Bouquet - I bought blue & white orchids as well as some lilies and filler flowers, and will work to put together a DIY bouquet.  I'm also going to call my intown florists to see how much they'd charge to arrange it for me.  The lily bouquets were relatively simple, and I want a cascading bouquet.  

To Do (Long Term List):

• Ceremony Shoes - I want to DIY glitter heels, unless I can find some for a good price online.  Need to add the shoe sticker when done
  • OOT Bags (First Aid/Wedding Week Survival Kits) - I have most of what I need for the First Aid/Oh Sh!t kits, and tons of templates to play with.  I need to sit down and decide how I'm going to do it!
  • Bridesmaid Bikini Bags/Wedding Day Emergency Kits - I have the fabric bags and a bunch of contents.  Will probably play with the Survival Kit templates to make something cute for my girls :)
  • Program Fans - @@Mwise17 was a doll and sent me a bunch of her templates, and this is one that I love & will be customizing soon.  I won't print them til closer to the date, of course, but I love the idea of using cardstock & jumbo popsicle sticks!
  • Welcome Book - FI printed out a copy of this today (not front & back, and B&W, but it'll still give me an idea for how it overall looks/etc.  Work in Progress!
  • Door Knockers & Other Printables - Those that are done, i need to print/put together!
  • 3rd BM Bouquet (Matron of Honor) - Making my MOH bouquet a bit bigger than the other two, but am waiting to get the real touch lilies and match the ribbon color.  Work in Progress!
  • Sand Ceremony Shadowbox Frame - This will be FI's DIY project, and we'll do that later this year when his work slows down a bit.  Have my SIL looking for a recommended from this board frame at Michaels or Joanns.  My BFF/bridesmaid gave me some leftover sand from their ceremony, 3 colors (blue, bright green & something else).  I'll probably use the blue and then get either a white or silver or teal.  
  • Custom Wire Hangers - This will be another FI DIY project.  I found a few decently priced ones on ebay/etsy, but the SHIPPING UGH.  
  • Second Dress for TTD - I'm not risking my beautiful (and heavy) gown, so will find a 2nd flowy/fun dress for under $100.  I've seen some potentials on ebay and amazon, and may check out the customized ones from China that people on this board talk about!
  • Mother of the Bride/Groom - Rather than corsages, I'm thinking of getting them bracelets & DIY'ing it up a bit to customize them :)
  • Jewelry - Chandelier Earrings - Found a set I love on eBay - waiting to see if they'll send me a "%" off for having it on my watch list ;)
  • Champagne Toasting Set - Long term goal is to customize a set or buy the heart vase set listed earlier.  If it doesn't happen, I'm sure I'll live :)

Custom Items (etsy):

• Custom Robes - Ordered!
  • Custom Cake Topper - Ordered!
  • Signs (Mr/Mrs, Ring bearer/Flower Girl) - Ordered!

Wow - you are so on it!! I absolutely love your ideas!!! And your colours are so pretty! I'm short too, but have lousy knees so I doubt heels will be much of an option for me, but I think the idea of glitter is fab! I wore sandal heels when we got married but I lasted about an hour, then they had to go! lol

• Like 1

My sons birthday is March 14 so what a perfect date! I almost cried when I saw the sign that says " daddy wait Gil you see her" I love it. I might do that and have it say " daddy wait til you see mama!" Awesome!

I'm hoping since I won't see the sign myself, that I won't cry lol.  It makes me tear up too!!  

Wow - you are so on it!! I absolutely love your ideas!!! And your colours are so pretty! I'm short too, but have lousy knees so I doubt heels will be much of an option for me, but I think the idea of glitter is fab! I wore sandal heels when we got married but I lasted about an hour, then they had to go! lol

Thank you!!  I've gotten a little done this week, but haven't had a chance to update or really dig into it.  Biggest thing is I finally ordered ink, haha, so I can test print things at will!

My WC told me that heels are probably a bad idea for the ceremony, even with the runner, so I'll do sandals or barefoot, and either wear heels for the reception OR skip it all together.  I'll just be short haha!

I just came across your thread! You are super on top of things! I love the Pi day haha... very cute. You have so many great ideas :)

Man, my wedding is a couple of months before yours and I'm nowhere near as organized. Need to get moving! 

• Like 1

Update 6.28.14

Bridesmaid Bouquets:

Last weekend I spent some time doing real touch bridesmaid bouquets.  I thought I had updated with pictures (or mentioned it at least) but apparently not!

I have 2 of the 3 done - waiting on some more flowers and trying to find sangria thin ribbon.  Everything I'm finding is maroon or pink in the stores.  Granted, I live in the middle of no where ;)

I ordered the real touch mini calla lilies off of Ebay, as well as the colored ribbon (that will be used for bouts too, and random things I find uses for it haha).  The corsage pins my mom gave me leftover from my sister's wedding, and I bought floral tape & 1" wide ivory ribbon from Walmart.

I did wrap the stems in floral tape pre-ivory ribbon, I think it helped keep it together, even tho I tightly wrapped the ribbon after.  You could probably skip that step.  I watched a youtube video on how to make a calla lily bouquet - I figured it was a similar concept to fresh flowers haha!

Here is a shot of the ribbon - was going to do just ivory, but I have tons of the blue ribbon so figured why not play around?  I'm going to redo it and glue it down, but this is unglued with diamond coraage pins (I had to cut them with wirecutters to make sure they stay IN the stems, not fingers!)

bridesmaid real touch bouquets

I also wanted to add a bit of fun Mexico to the bouquets, so I got these margarita charms for $1.50 each at Walmart.  They are pinned to the back, and are just for fun :)

bridesmaid real touch bouquet margarita charm

Ampersand ( & ) Photo Prop:

I've seen tons of cute pictures with couples with an ampersand/& sign, even on the beach! So of course I want one too!  I found a thin, unfinished letter on ebay for $8 shipped (12" by 11", 1/8" MDF).  It's perfect because it's a decent size and I could customize it, AND it's light and thin so easy to pack!

Inspiration: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/47358233555151434/

Unfinished:

unfinished & photo prop

After being painted blue to match our wedding:

20140628 080735

Very thin!

blue & photo prop

With a flash (closer to "real" color in sunlight)

blue & photo prop

Currently sitting on one of our wall accents - I kinda like it!  It may go there after the wedding :)

blue & photo prop

Chapstick Labels:

I got my ink in the mail, and while putting it in the printer, the "photo" cartridge was overfull and SPILLED all over my hands and legs!  So now I've got horrible stains on my legs :(  Plus, the darn printer is on our network but saying it's offline on my computer *sigh*.  I got the labels/, and redid the placement/colors based on the printer.

When printed, the "Thank You" showed up underneath the other text, so it looked really weird.  So I moved the text up, changed the Thank You to more of a Sangria color that I used in the fan programs (yes, I got those pretty much ready!), and brightened the blue of the logo!  Hopefully I can get these done as soon as the printer situation is figured out, haha.

final chapstick

Fan Programs:
I wasn't planning on doing these for a while, but I got on a ROLL after seeing a few I liked on Etsy.  Just a draft, but I love it!  They were from a template that I gutted outside of the outline, and customized the inside.  I had actually made 2 - one is more traditional, but I liked this one better.

Program Draft

• 3 weeks later...

I owe this an update!  I will try to get to that early this week.  It's been hectic, as my inlaws are coming to stay with us a week next weekend for my daughter's 3rd birthday, so I've been concentrating on that.  I do have some updates to report, however :)

UPDATE  7.17.14

So it's been a while - I've been concentrating on my daughter's party coming up at the end of July, and work has been crazy!  I haven't had much time for personal time on the computer, but have been getting things done for the wedding.  

240 days to go, according to our wedding website!  8 months!

We have set our dates, and provided that my kids can fly without us back to the states, we'll be staying an extra few days to "honeymoon" after everyone leaves.   :)

Photographer:

I booked & paid the deposit for Samuel Luna (http://www.samuellunablog.com/) to shoot our wedding & TTD session!!  I'm super thrilled, as he was running a special for 6 hours + ttd that was perfect for what we needed.  His photography is beautiful, and I cannot wait!!  It's also the first "real" money we've spent on the wedding, since we haven't booked our rooms yet.

Bridal Sash

I don't have a picture on my phone, but I ordered a similar belt as the Allure S33 from MaryKino Bridal.  What came was NOT the S33.  Its very pretty, and very well made, but does not look the same at all.  I'm a little sad, as I paid $80 for it, but they offered to give me a partial refund.  We'll see if that happens.  I'm not happy, because it's advertised as the S33, which is what I thought I was getting.  It's also more of a hassle to try to return since it did come from China.  It's pretty, just not what I wanted.

Listing on website (would you think this was not the real thing?!?!  other than price maybe?): http://www.marykinobridal.com/allure-accessories-s33-p-3440.html

Footwear:

I did get my starfish brooches for my shoes - I really like them, makes the wedge flipflops so much cuter.  And they are SO pretty in person - I didn't take the greatest pictures with my phone haha.  I intend these for either reception or just resort wear, since I have the nicer ones for the reception.  I always wear flip flops, so either way ;)

flipflop with starfish

I also got 1 pair of barefoot sandals, that I'll probably wear for the ceremony.

Barefoot Sandal

I also ordered 3 pairs (less ornate) for my bridesmaids to wear, so they don't have to worry about matching shoes or anything like that.  I didn't take a picture, but can if requested!  

I found the starfish brooches and the barefoot sandals on ebay.  I spent about $10 total on all of it :D

MOH Bouquet:

I was waiting on the flowers & ribbon (nothing is close to sangria, everything is pink UGH) for the MOH bouquet, and I got that finished!  My sister loves it!  (Her only request was that if I could not have her wear blue, she'd appreciate it haha.)

Bridesmaid Bouquet

Here are all 3 together!

Bridesmaid Bouquets

I'm planning on gluing down the ribbon so it doesn't move.  I really like the ballet ribbon effect!

Bridesmaid Bouquets up close

Invitations - Are we ready to print FINALLY?!?!

So I think we're FINALLY done with the invitations!!  Now to get hubby to get them printed at work, so I can send them out.  Did a mock test print and I loved the way they looked.

Invitation Mock Up

Starfish Boutonnieres:

I did a mockup of what I think I want the bouts to look like, and I like it!  I need to make 7 (groom, 3 groomsmen, 2 dads, 1 ringbearer) but might make them for other family if I have leftover starfish (since I had to order more since my dogs ate part of my first order!!).  Will do the blue ribbon in all 3 colors, with white for the FI.  The 2nd ribbon is kind of sparkly sheer; in some pictures it really looks kinda blue or teal.

boutonneire

Hair Pieces:

I really wanted blue orchids for my flowers, but it's next to impossible to get in Mexico; and you can't ship them from the USA :(  So I am using real touch ones for my bouquet, and looked at crystal hairpieces with an orchid.  I found some nice ones on ebay for pretty cheap (less than $25 for both!) so I can have options for my hair on the big day :)

Option 1: This one is huge!  It's for the side of the head, and I'd wear it on the opposite side of a down ponytail.  It is GORGEOUS - the pictures do not do it justice.  Maybe before the wedding I'll sit down and take pictures with our DSLR, haha, so I can show how beautiful a lot of these are!

Actual image:

orchid hair option 1

Image on ebay:

Option 2: This one is on a clip and I'd wear if I did a half up/half down or updo.  It's very pretty as well - doesn't look as closely like orchids, but very sparkly and pretty.

Actual image:

orchid hair option 2

Earrings:

I found these on ebay as well, for a really good price for both (see a theme here? lol!)

Option 1:  These were the chandelier ones that I was most excited about.  I find them absolutely breathtaking in person - so gorgeous.  They look great on, too!  The problem is that they're much heavier than I'm used to wearing, so it concerned me a bit.  I may wear them just for the ceremony and switch for the reception.

Earring Option 1

I went ahead and ordered my 2nd choice, which were much cheaper, and ended up being much lighter.  VERY pretty in person, not quite as chandelier but very flattering.  

Earring Option 2

20140711 124141

Second Dress for TTD:

ORDERED!!  I am getting a knockoff made of the Allure 8862 (http://www.allurebridals.com/assets/1550/8862f.jpg) made, because I loved it on and saw this TTD session online which is a very similar dress: http://delsolphotography.com/riviera-maya-underwater-trash-dress-am-03112014/ 

We're doing the Cenotes and I'm a strong swimmer, so not concerned about the dress dragging me down.  Plus FI is a swimmer too, and I am getting a zipper versus lace up, so I can do those racy floating dress ones ;)  Waiting for it to arrive!

I also know I'm taking a chance with ordering it online, but as long as it fits well and is white/pretty underwater...I'm not as concerned.  Plus they take returns, as well, which is nice.  I don't think I would have done this with my ceremony dress, as they don't exact same.

Chapstick:

Finally got the labels finished & ready to go!  I tested with one, and need to put on the wrap on the outside to make it waterproof.  Anyone else have issues with the Avery labels staying down?  Or am I doing it incorrectly?

Chapstick label (needs plastic wrap to be done)

Apparently my bridesmaid robes are in the mail, woohoo, so that's exciting!  My inlaws are coming for a week starting this weekend, so I'm hoping to use them to help me finish up the chapsticks, bouts and hopefully get invitations stuffed!  (That all depends on FI and printing, lol).

So not a bad two weeks :)  I feel it's all coming together nicely!

To Do (Short term list):

• Invitations - Just need to print!
  • Starfish Boutonnieres - Just need to assemble!
  • Chapstick Labels - Just need to assemble!
  • Centerpieces - Add bling to vases & figure out how I'm going to pack them in the suitcase (after I show the inlaws & my parents)
  • Bridal Bouquet - Need to drop off at the florist (said it'd be about $15 to arrange, score!)
  • Mother of the Bride/Groom - I got pretty pearl bracelets and charms, and will DIY them together plus pretty presentation boxes.  The bracelets turned out stunning, so excited to see the finished product.

To Do (Long Term List):

• Ceremony TTD Shoes - Going to wear the heels for the TTD session - DIY glitter.  Excited!
  • OOT Bags (First Aid/Wedding Week Survival Kits) - Pretty sure I have everything, it's just putting one together and seeing if I'm doing anything else.
  • Bridesmaid Bikini Bags/Wedding Day Emergency Kits - Similar to OOT - put together, see if I need to do anything else
  • Program Fans - Designed!  Will print out closer to the date (2015 project)
  • Welcome Book - Work in Progress (another not til 2015 project)
  • Door Knockers & Other Printables - Will print 2015
  • Sand Ceremony Shadowbox Frame - FI project (need to figure out sand though)
  • Custom Wire Hangers - FI project 
  • Champagne Toasting Set - Long term goal is to customize a set or buy the heart vase set listed earlier.  If it doesn't happen, I'm sure I'll live 

Custom Items:

• Custom Robes - Shipped!
  • Custom Cake Topper - Ordered!
  • Signs (Mr/Mrs, Ring bearer/Flower Girl) - Ordered!
  • TTD Dress - Ordered!
  • Like 1

Oh my goodness! Everything looks amazing! You are so on top of everything! I'm getting married in 98 days and don't have most of the things done that you do! Great work!