Now Larimar - 2015

I just saved my wedding date of May 7 2015 at the Now Larimar and would love any advice that there is out there. I'm a pretty frugal person, so love DIY ideas that will keep costs down. I have seen a lot of people on here that share their decor with other brides that have weddings at the same resort near the same time. Please let me know if anyone is interested. Right now I have no color ideas and am open to everything. I feel like when you have a destination wedding at such a nice resort, the little details really don't matter. I just want my guests to enjoy a nice relaxing day with great music!! Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas!!

Happy planning!!

Anyone getting married at Now Larimar in 2015?  I am newly engaged and ready to start planning!  Right now I am heavily leaning towards Now Larimar for a May 2015 wedding.

Yes - I am, May 7. Have you selected a day?

Has anyone decided what they are going to do for centerpieces?  Are you just going to pay them for them, or are you going to diy and bring them with you.  When I asked about simple centerpieces that would be 3 candles at different levels they told me that would be 100 dollars per table?

From what I've seen on here, most people opt to bring their own centerpieces or use an outside florist. They swear that it's cheaper than using the resort's flower and centerpieces (even if they charge a 25% set-up fee), but I'm contacting the local florists to see if that's the case.

Hi @Brandymarie1013! I am also getting married in May 2015 at Now Larimar.  Have you booked yet?  I am still trying to decide between reception spots.  Happy planning!

Anyone getting married at Now Larimar in 2015?  I am newly engaged and ready to start planning!  Right now I am heavily leaning towards Now Larimar for a May 2015 wedding.

Hi ladies - Congratulations on your engagements!! I am also having my wedding at the Now Larimar in May 2015!! May 7, to be exact!!

Have you thought about sharing decorations with other brides that have weddings planned around your date? I was reading posts from the 2014 and 2013 weddings and it seems like a few people did this. Let me know if you're intersted. I don't have set colors or themes yet, so I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!!

I've heard that the WC's usually give the brides a spreadsheet to help calculate the costs of the wedding, based on the package they select. Does anyone happen to have this spreadsheet. I've reached out to my WC, but no response. Please help!

Congrats jyingl! What dyi are you thinking of making? I was thinking flower balls and chair markers but wondering if it is worth it to try to pack them etc.. The wc will send you a spreadsheet with your own package etc...I find it takes at least 2 to 3 days for her to get back to me but hopefully it will be quicker as we get closer.

Congrats jyingl! What dyi are you thinking of making? I was thinking flower balls and chair markers but wondering if it is worth it to try to pack them etc.. The wc will send you a spreadsheet with your own package etc...I find it takes at least 2 to 3 days for her to get back to me but hopefully it will be quicker as we get closer.

I was thinking the pomander balls would be nice to DIY also. Do you know if they charge 25% of their cost for each one you bring. For instance the resort sells them for $80 which means they would charge $20 for each one you brought in on your own? Seems a little steep. I would like to work out the set-up charges with the WC before I decide what to bring.

My creative was of getting around the centerpiece charge is to make a favor that will double as a nice centerpiece. For instance have beachy looking picture frames made with a picture of us that says thank you. You can put these in a circle in the middle of the table and add some flowers to them. That way you have a nice centerpiece and you're not having to pack the set-up fee. (From what I hear there is no charge for favors).

I was thinking the pomander balls would be nice to DIY also. Do you know if they charge 25% of their cost for each one you bring. For instance the resort sells them for $80 which means they would charge $20 for each one you brought in on your own? Seems a little steep. I would like to work out the set-up charges with the WC before I decide what to bring.

My creative was of getting around the centerpiece charge is to make a favor that will double as a nice centerpiece. For instance have beachy looking picture frames made with a picture of us that says thank you. You can put these in a circle in the middle of the table and add some flowers to them. That way you have a nice centerpiece and you're not having to pack the set-up fee. (From what I hear there is no charge for favors).

Hurray for being frugal!  I've sent an email off to my WC regarding some of the questions I had about costs for bringing my own things vs what they charge there.  Currently, my ideas are:

1) Bring sashes for the chairs for the ceremony - but only for the aisle chairs and the ones at the back. Instead of pom manders, there are people on Etsy that do tissue poms.  I was thinking about getting some of those (they send them flat and you fluff them yourself later) and typing them onto the aisle sashes as well for extra colour.  I'm also debating some coloured tulle to put onto the gazebo on the beach just to lighten it up - I just haven't decided yet.

2) For the reception - no sashes.  I am going to do place cards on cardstock (or wood pieces, I don't know yet) and then put ribbon in our wedding colours through them so that they can hang on the chairs.  That way, there is colour, and no cost (place cards don't cost anything to bring).

3) For centre pieces - I also thought about favours at the centre pieces.  But I was actually debating votives as the favours.  I've asked for a quote as well for a large vase with submerged flowers and floating candles - I know I can get large plastic bowls here (that look really nice) that I can do this myself when we are down there.  Then some silk flower petals and tea lights on the table.  

All really easy to pack (I bet it would all fit in a duffel bag!) and cheap to do.  

I know I have heard for receptions that you can rent a few vases and have the bridesmaids put their bouquets in them for centre pieces as well.  I am likely making the BM bouquets here (just small with ribbon and maybe silk calla lilies or something) to save costs.

Also - in regards to saving costs.  My WC told me if we bring a photographer as part of our wedding group, there is no outside charge - she told me that is applied to companies/providers in PC or on the island.  So I think we are going to fly in our photographers from Ontario for a 4-5 day trip.  It comes out to about the same as providers on the island, but I know exactly what I am getting (two photographers too!!).

Hurray for being frugal!  I've sent an email off to my WC regarding some of the questions I had about costs for bringing my own things vs what they charge there.  Currently, my ideas are:

1) Bring sashes for the chairs for the ceremony - but only for the aisle chairs and the ones at the back. Instead of pom manders, there are people on Etsy that do tissue poms.  I was thinking about getting some of those (they send them flat and you fluff them yourself later) and typing them onto the aisle sashes as well for extra colour.  I'm also debating some coloured tulle to put onto the gazebo on the beach just to lighten it up - I just haven't decided yet.

2) For the reception - no sashes.  I am going to do place cards on cardstock (or wood pieces, I don't know yet) and then put ribbon in our wedding colours through them so that they can hang on the chairs.  That way, there is colour, and no cost (place cards don't cost anything to bring).

3) For centre pieces - I also thought about favours at the centre pieces.  But I was actually debating votives as the favours.  I've asked for a quote as well for a large vase with submerged flowers and floating candles - I know I can get large plastic bowls here (that look really nice) that I can do this myself when we are down there.  Then some silk flower petals and tea lights on the table.  

All really easy to pack (I bet it would all fit in a duffel bag!) and cheap to do.  

I know I have heard for receptions that you can rent a few vases and have the bridesmaids put their bouquets in them for centre pieces as well.  I am likely making the BM bouquets here (just small with ribbon and maybe silk calla lilies or something) to save costs.

Also - in regards to saving costs.  My WC told me if we bring a photographer as part of our wedding group, there is no outside charge - she told me that is applied to companies/providers in PC or on the island.  So I think we are going to fly in our photographers from Ontario for a 4-5 day trip.  It comes out to about the same as providers on the island, but I know exactly what I am getting (two photographers too!!).

Those are some really good ideas!! I thought about doing paper or silk pomanders as well, I wasn't sure if they would still charge 25% of their real ones would cost. Did you get any guidance from your WC on the costs for those? If you do, will you please share.

I also had no idea that there were no charges for outside photographers. I'm really going to look into that now!!

Thanks for sharing.

Those are some really good ideas!! I thought about doing paper or silk pomanders as well, I wasn't sure if they would still charge 25% of their real ones would cost. Did you get any guidance from your WC on the costs for those? If you do, will you please share.

I also had no idea that there were no charges for outside photographers. I'm really going to look into that now!!

Thanks for sharing.

I'll share any cost info I get on here as soon as she answers me.

I'll clarify - there ARE charges for outside photographers.  $500 for vendors that are not with the resort.

However - when I asked about having someone in my wedding party do the photography, this was the response:

If somebody from your group is doing your pictures, you don’t need to pay the fee.

The fee is for the companies outside the hotel (At the town or the country).

So I am taking that as word and will hold them to it.  It was my cousin initially that I had, but he is having a baby right around my wedding so he had to duck out.  

But keep in mind that flying in your own will likely cost as much as a package upgrade at the resort OR booking an outisde photographer there. I've done some research on pricing in the DR and have found that you can get a package of good size for $1500 but it would be $2000 with the outside vendor fee.  Which is pretty much what it will cost to have this photographer and her fiance come down for a few days to shoot.  She's also going to do a TTD session for us (also offered us an engagement session but we had them done already and live across the country).  She ALSO includes rehearsal dinner/bachelorette pictures while we are done there if we want.

Just make sure you ask your WC first before doing anything!
Edited by KAT2015

I'll share any cost info I get on here as soon as she answers me.

I'll clarify - there ARE charges for outside photographers.  $500 for vendors that are not with the resort.

However - when I asked about having someone in my wedding party do the photography, this was the response:

If somebody from your group is doing your pictures, you don’t need to pay the fee.

The fee is for the companies outside the hotel (At the town or the country).

So I am taking that as word and will hold them to it.  It was my cousin initially that I had, but he is having a baby right around my wedding so he had to duck out.  

But keep in mind that flying in your own will likely cost as much as a package upgrade at the resort OR booking an outisde photographer there. I've done some research on pricing in the DR and have found that you can get a package of good size for $1500 but it would be $2000 with the outside vendor fee.  Which is pretty much what it will cost to have this photographer and her fiance come down for a few days to shoot.  She's also going to do a TTD session for us (also offered us an engagement session but we had them done already and live across the country).  She ALSO includes rehearsal dinner/bachelorette pictures while we are done there if we want.

Just make sure you ask your WC first before doing anything!

Hey Ladies, I can shed some light for you here.... At the NOW, if your bringing a vendor into the hotel for the wedding day only the $500 vendor fee will apply. Should you however be bringing a photographer / videographer etc. on property that is a part of your group and is staying at the hotel with you FOR A MINIMUM OF 3 DAYS ALL INCLUSIVE STAY.. then the vendor fee is waived. Hopefully that helps. =)

- Mel

I officially booked my wedding finally as well! Oct. 22nd 2015. I've asked for a beach wedding and a reception at the quiet pool. I think that we are going to do 5 pm for the wedding with the reception at 7. We did the divine package. I am also bringing my photographer as a guest in order to bypass the 500 dollar fee. Does anyone know if you still get the pictures/video in your package even if IOU bring your own photographer?

I officially booked my wedding finally as well! Oct. 22nd 2015. I've asked for a beach wedding and a reception at the quiet pool. I think that we are going to do 5 pm for the wedding with the reception at 7. We did the divine package. I am also bringing my photographer as a guest in order to bypass the 500 dollar fee. Does anyone know if you still get the pictures/video in your package even if IOU bring your own photographer?

I think for me, I'll probably just tell them to keep the photographer away and just do the video.  My photographer will take pictures all day and has an assistant, so I really don't need the resort one.

I don't know what your wedding timeline looks like, but they had me booked at 5 for the ceremony and 7 for the reception as well.  I actually got them to move it back to a 3pm ceremony on the beach for a couple reasons.

1) The ceremony is from 30-45 min long(ish) followed directly by a toast.  So I estimate about 1 hour for ceremony, toast and then any random photos (you know, if people want photos with the couple at the ceremony site etc.)  This takes us to 4pm (what would have been 6pm if I did the 5pm wedding)

2) Then there is the cocktail hour on the beach. Its personal preference, but I would like to mingle and have a drink before running off to take photos.  So that takes us to 5pm (which would have been 7pm with a 5pm ceremony).

3) The reception starts at 7, so by the time I had a ceremony and a cocktail hour, it would be time for the reception.  So I would have had to choose between going to the cocktail hour and losing part of the reception to do photos.  Plus, I'm not sure if an hour is long enough to do photos for me.

4) The pool I booked at (the bigger one with the sit down meal option) is only available from 7-10, so if I missed part of the reception, dinner would be delayed, we would have minimal dancing before it was shut down.  I want to do dancing with some of our older guests so that they have the option to go to bed if they want and the rest of us can go to the disco.

So by having my ceremony at 3pm, I can do the ceremony/toast, cocktail hour (and time to reapply makeup), have up to 2 hours for photos (and guests can go to the pool bar or back to their rooms if they want), and still enjoy the whole reception (and get our first dance/speeches etc all in as well).

Yeah, if you are having a longer wedding that makes sense, our ceremony is only going to be 15-20 minutes, then Depending on whether they start the cocktail hour immediately or if they delay it till six, I will probably take pictures in the free time and during part of the cocktail hour. I would get married earlier, but I do not want our guests to have to come to the wedding, and then entertain themselves for a few hours before the cocktail hour/dinner.