Jump to content

Photo

Best Month To Avoid Air Fare Hikes


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BillysBride

BillysBride
  • Sr. Member
  • 1,255 posts

    Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

    We had a date, but have been worried about the whole spring break craze affecting the air fare prices. We're not worried about the hotel, its not popular amongst those crowds being in Tulum, but I am still trying to think of my family and friends and getting the best possible rates for them for that time of year.

    Because we are planning for '09, things are still pretty flexible, but we need to decide on a concrete date asap. From March-May, which month will we likely get the best rates on flights?
    Savannah

    http://i17.photobuck....inecollage.jpgThe Fab Four (my quads) Meryn, Kellen, Nico & Layla
    http://global.thekno...rs/tt265ad.aspxhttp://www.mywedding...nnah/index.html20 STD's w. pre-lim RSVP sent 6/15/09: 7 "Yes" so far/10 guests total!

    #2 Christine

    Christine
    • VIP Member
    • 21,514 posts
    • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
    • Wedding Location:Napa, California
    • LocationReno, NV

    Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

    I have no idea, but I know most airlines only book out about 10 months.
    Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

    #3 foxytv

    foxytv
    • VIP Member
    • 7,740 posts

      Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

      Easter is in March in 2008, so avoid that weekend.

      In April, avoid Passover. Our wedding falls right on Passover, which we didn't have a clue, and our TA says that's why airfares are higher for that time. So, just avoid any general or religious holidays when planning.

      EDITING TO ADD: Sorry, just realized your date is in 2009 -- but still be aware of when the holidays fall and avoid traveling then!

      #4 JenniferSS

      JenniferSS

        Banned

      • Banned
      • 1,047 posts

        Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

        Hey BillysBride-

        End of April, early May will be your best prices on airfare & hotel. I've booked alot of families for spring break ( Mid February - mid April ) to Riviera Maya & Tulum- they want Mexico but not the craziness of Cancun so before then even the resorts are fairly pricey.

        Hope that helps the planning!

        TA Jennifer

        #5 BillysBride

        BillysBride
        • Sr. Member
        • 1,255 posts

          Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:56 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by TA Jennifer
          Hey Foxytv-

          End of April, early May will be your best prices on airfare & hotel. I've booked alot of families for spring break ( Mid February - mid April ) to Riviera Maya & Tulum- they want Mexico but not the craziness of Cancun so before then even the resorts are fairly pricey.

          Hope that helps the planning!

          TA Jennifer
          Hey, Jennifer. It was me wanting the info:), and YES that definitely helps. We knew going in that we wouldn't be able to book til about about a 10-12 months prior, but have just been trying to figure out what date to set the wedding for that would be near our original date, but outside the spring break hike zone. Looks like we nailed it the first time out with 4/25/09!! Woo hoo!

          Thanks ladies!
          Savannah

          http://i17.photobuck....inecollage.jpgThe Fab Four (my quads) Meryn, Kellen, Nico & Layla
          http://global.thekno...rs/tt265ad.aspxhttp://www.mywedding...nnah/index.html20 STD's w. pre-lim RSVP sent 6/15/09: 7 "Yes" so far/10 guests total!

          #6 JABride

          JABride
          • Newbie
          • 145 posts

            Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:55 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by foxytv
            Easter is in March in 2008, so avoid that weekend.

            In April, avoid Passover. Our wedding falls right on Passover, which we didn't have a clue, and our TA says that's why airfares are higher for that time. So, just avoid any general or religious holidays when planning.

            EDITING TO ADD: Sorry, just realized your date is in 2009 -- but still be aware of when the holidays fall and avoid traveling then!
            I tried to plan my date carefully and did not realize it was PASSOVER !!! I am getting married April 19 as well. From my researches, usually prices are highest between December 15 and April 15 (high season), then I saw that easter was in march in 2008 and most spring breakers travel in march (mid april would be the tail end of spring break) ... then I researched rainfalls statistics (yup, i am one heck of an anal girl!!) and between April and May, April had less rainfall days on average in the caribbeans ...then hurricane season starts in June ... I did not want to have my wedding during hurricane season ... then, some of my friends are in college or teach college and did not want to have my wedding too close to the exams which are usually the first couple of weeks of may ... man oh man, I thought I was good with my date ... totally overlooked other holidays such as passover ...

            I guess you can lookup the wedding date you choose on the net to make sure it is not falling on one holiday or popular day ...something I did not think about doing even with all my "analysis" ....

            #7 JenniferSS

            JenniferSS

              Banned

            • Banned
            • 1,047 posts

              Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:53 AM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by BillysBride
              Hey, Jennifer. It was me wanting the info:), and YES that definitely helps. We knew going in that we wouldn't be able to book til about about a 10-12 months prior, but have just been trying to figure out what date to set the wedding for that would be near our original date, but outside the spring break hike zone. Looks like we nailed it the first time out with 4/25/09!! Woo hoo!

              Thanks ladies!
              oops-sorry about that! I guess I need to limit my posting to hours when I am fully awake :)!

              #8 boscobel

              boscobel
              • VIP Member
              • 24,213 posts

                Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:04 AM

                I had wanted to get married in February, but my TA convinced me that May had better rates. I don't know if it's true going ot Tulum from Illinois as well, but I am sure your TA (or perhaps Tammy - host) can give you better guidance.

                #9 TATrisha

                TATrisha

                  VIP Member

                • VIP Member
                • 12,377 posts
                • Wedding Date:April 11, 2008
                • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principle Akumal
                • LocationWisconsin

                Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

                I checked the rates for my resort on Locogringo. They typically will post the months and the rates that correspond. By looking at that I saw that March 24th was when the rates dropped for 08. It was April 9 in 07. Meaning it corresponds with Easter. Easter 2009 is Sunday April 12th.

                Hope that helps!

                Oh, and I wouldn't FIRMLY set a date until you book it with the resort. I had to switch my date.

                ~Trisha~

                Destination Wedding Photographer & Travel Agent
                www.faberphotography.com - My latest destination wedding photos can be found HERE

                Disney Specialist  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

                 
                Looking for a travel agent that KNOWS DISNEY?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
                 
                Awards and recognition: 
                Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)   |  AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  |  Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits | Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner   |   Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
                sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
                Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.


                #10 foxytv

                foxytv
                • VIP Member
                • 7,740 posts

                  Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by JABride
                  I tried to plan my date carefully and did not realize it was PASSOVER !!! I am getting married April 19 as well. From my researches, usually prices are highest between December 15 and April 15 (high season), then I saw that easter was in march in 2008 and most spring breakers travel in march (mid april would be the tail end of spring break) ... then I researched rainfalls statistics (yup, i am one heck of an anal girl!!) and between April and May, April had less rainfall days on average in the caribbeans ...then hurricane season starts in June ... I did not want to have my wedding during hurricane season ... then, some of my friends are in college or teach college and did not want to have my wedding too close to the exams which are usually the first couple of weeks of may ... man oh man, I thought I was good with my date ... totally overlooked other holidays such as passover ...

                  I guess you can lookup the wedding date you choose on the net to make sure it is not falling on one holiday or popular day ...something I did not think about doing even with all my "analysis" ....
                  I know exactly what you mean! Passover threw us for a loop when my TA told us we were traveling during a holiday time.

                  I was like -- no we're not -- I checked and Eater is in March .. blah blah blah.

                  I didn't have an inkling of a clue about Passover.




                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users