Indecisive

malyna

New to the boards... My fiance and I haven't made the decision for a DW just yet, but the more I think about it, the more I want it! Of course I feel guilty for all those who would not be able to afford it =/ We are also having a cultural wedding in June though so many of our friends and family will still see us get married - just not in a white dress, walking down an aisle type deal.

how did you make your decision to have a DW?

Hey!

It can be a tough decision. The biggest deciding factors for us were the fact that FI family lives across the country and a weekend here would be the same, if not more than a destination wedding. Also, the cost of a wedding at home is more than we really wanted to spend.

Hopefully that helps!

New to the boards... My fiance and I haven't made the decision for a DW just yet, but the more I think about it, the more I want it! Of course I feel guilty for all those who would not be able to afford it =/ We are also having a cultural wedding in June though so many of our friends and family will still see us get married - just not in a white dress, walking down an aisle type deal.

Hello Malyna, Congrats on your engagement,

As a wedding coordinator in the Riviera Maya we have seen most of our current Brides and past choosing a destination wedding for the following reasons.

1. Budget, only a smaller number of guests would come to a destination wedding vs a wedding at home.

2. its important for both the couple to get married somewhere warm, beach site

3. To make a family vacation and be with close family and friends

Hope these can help with your decision.

• Like 2

I think many DW brides/FI have the same worry/guilt/fears.. but in the end it will all be beautiful. We know that by choosing a wedding in Mexico, we are asking our guests to spend a LOT of money to share in our day, which is stressful and guilt inducing for sure... but we decided to give them PLENTY of time to save, plan and prepare... and hopefully those who are truly important to us will be able to come.

• Like 3

Congrats on your engagement!

We decided to have a destination wedding because we're both among the last in our circles to get married, and we've attended so many weddings over the last few years that we wanted to avoid the stress, do something different, and have a week of memories instead of just a day. Cost is also a factor - It's hard for me to imagine justify spending 50k on a one day event. Our family and friends mostly seem supportive so far, and while we won't have every single person we'd want attend, I think most of our closest family and friends are happy to attend.

We've just started planning as well and I've actually found that planning a destination wedding has its own stresses and headaches. Right now we're trying to lock down our wedding day and choose a resort that we want to get married at, but is also affordable for our guests. Right now, the two don't seem to be matching up (haha), which is stressing me out. Also, I'm pretty Type A regardless of whether the wedding is held at home or in Mexico, so I know I'm going to be picky about things like decor. But when I think about saying our vows in a beautiful and romantic setting, it makes it seem more worth it to me.

I think some couples plan on some type of AHR or bon voyage trip to try and assuage some of that guilt. We haven't gotten that far yet, but I don't think I'd want a full out AHR as to me, I want my wedding to be in Mexico period. But we might have some type of more relaxed party as a celebration - just not a formal sit down.

Hope that helps! Welcome to the forums - this place is great :)

• Like 2

Congrats on your engagement and welcome to the site!

We decided on a DW because it was second time around for both of us, we're quite a bit older and we just didn't want the fuss and expense of a big wedding at home. We opted for Jamaica and loved it!

You'll find a ton of ideas and tips here and everyone is more than will to share their information!

Good luck and happy planning!!

Congratulations on your engagement!!!

It was my fiance's idea to have the destination wedding.   It was also due to the cost of having a wedding at home.  Also, I have been married before so I was fine with the destination wedding.  

With the destination there will be some people who will not be able to make it.   That can be upsetting to some, so you have to think about if it is worth it. (My parents won't fly and neither will my fiance's). :( However, we are thinking of having a dinner with the parents when we return. 

We have decided on Jamaica because it is very beautiful, not very expensive and has a lot of resorts to choose from.  I have narrowed my resorts down to three in Montego Bay - Iberostar, Secrets and Royalton White Sands. 

In additon to all of the great ideas and helpful hints on this website, I also look at tripadvisor and I have a travel agent.  The travel agent is key to getting the travel organized for everyone.

Good luck and happy planning!

It doesn't help that his friends don't have passports either so that will be an added cost for them... My fiance has ruled out that they will be coming if we go the DW route but he doesn't seem to mind that much! I don't want it to be only people from my side going though :(

We decided to have a DW wedding for a few reasons:

1. Money.. It's cheaper and with a vacation to somewhere warm included.. Yay!

2. We live in TO most of our family lives in Newfoundland and our friends are all over... Either way people would have to spend money on hotels, travel and food... This way it's all paid upfront and a whole week vacay for everyone I can spend more time with the people I don't see often

3. Less stuff to worry about...not as much to organize compared to a regular wedding

Congrats on the engagement and happy planning whichever route you choose... This website is a great resource for DW's, everyone is very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2