Toronto Area 2014/2015 Brides

Burlington Bride here! Wedding is July 2, 2014 in the Dominican. 42 days to go!! Eeek!

I love Burlington! We lived there 4 years and as soon as my husband gets the golden handshake we're goin' back! No offense to anyone, but I hate Mississauga! We had our AHR at the Beaver and Bulldog at the The Waterfront Hotel, and our friends and family still talk about it!!

I'm a Toronto bride too!!! We're hoping to get married in November 2015, I know it's far away, but we're recent graduates and we're trying to secure jobs and save first. We want our wedding to be in Cuba!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally picked a resort! Moon Palace Cancun! Yay! 

In terms of picking a country/resort, we decided on Mexico because of price, convenience for our guests (we're in Toronto but have guests that will be coming in from the west coast - going to Jamaica or Dominican would have been a huge pain, they would have to fly to Toronto and then go on), and quality of resorts available. 

Are any of you GTA ladies having an AHR? My FI and I are looking into this now. Toronto venues are soo expensive. Anyone have any recommendations for anywhere we could get a Special Occasion Permit and bring in our own booze? We're looking at a guest list of about 100-120

@@shelikespink - Yay on choosing! I'm at Beach Palace but we almost went w/ Moon Palace too! They look like such great resorts

These are some tips I learned from my own destination wedding in December. 

• Keep in mind that it may be better to get an outside vendor for some things for your wedding such as photographers, flowers, videographers, dj, etc.  You tend to get more for your money.  For example, the packages at the resort for photographers are usually 4-5 hours because they have a few weddings per day.  With an outside vendor you are the only bride so you get full coverage of the day, you can negotiate, and they are more reasonable - personal (approx.10 hours).
  •  
  • My photographers were The Memory Factory.  He captured my husband and I getting ready as well as what some of the guests were doing at the time around the resort.  He was wonderful so much so that we used him for our welcome party as well.  They do destination weddings so they travel everywhere - I got married in Punta Cana. www.thememory-factory.com and their email address is thememoryfactory@hotmail.com
  •  
  • For favors, instead of breaking your head trying to figure out what to five I found www.dominicanfavors.com  they deliver the favors to any venue as long as it's within Punta Cana or Bavaro. 
  •  
  • I suggest you get married in your hometown because Dominican laws are very relaxed.  I heard of some brides not having their wedding certificate one year after the wedding date.  So get married at home, consider it paperwork and have a symbolic wedding with vows where ever you decide.  You don't have to tell anyone and it will be magical.  That would be the anniversary you celebrate for the next 50-60 years.
  •  
  • I purchased my bouquet from Real Flowers because it will be the most expensive on location and just get your bridal party one or two beautiful local flowers or wild flowers.  It will be gorgeous and a lot more economical.
  •  
  • Get a small wedding cake for your pictures but provide your guests with an assortment of local desserts.  Make it interesting for them, part of the experience. 
  •  
  • Patty Jordan from Wright Travel Agency was wonderful.  She answered every question I had and handled all of the craziness with my guests.  Less stress for me.

Oh one more thing, Punta Cana has amazing offsite venues - again, you get privacy and more for your money - Jellyfish, Kukua, and Huracan.  These venues are on the beach and they are very reasonable. 

I hope all this helps.

• Like 1

Mississauga/Toronto bride getting married in Cayo Coco in May 2015. Any brides on here get married in Cuba with a legal ceremony there? I'm not too worried but a few of my family members think we should get married ahead of time at home before we go, 'just in case'.

These are some tips I learned from my own destination wedding in December. 

• Keep in mind that it may be better to get an outside vendor for some things for your wedding such as photographers, flowers, videographers, dj, etc.  You tend to get more for your money.  For example, the packages at the resort for photographers are usually 4-5 hours because they have a few weddings per day.  With an outside vendor you are the only bride so you get full coverage of the day, you can negotiate, and they are more reasonable - personal (approx.10 hours).
  •  
  • My photographers were The Memory Factory.  He captured my husband and I getting ready as well as what some of the guests were doing at the time around the resort.  He was wonderful so much so that we used him for our welcome party as well.  They do destination weddings so they travel everywhere - I got married in Punta Cana. www.thememory-factory.com and their email address is thememoryfactory@hotmail.com
  •  
  • For favors, instead of breaking your head trying to figure out what to five I found www.dominicanfavors.com  they deliver the favors to any venue as long as it's within Punta Cana or Bavaro. 
  •  
  • I suggest you get married in your hometown because Dominican laws are very relaxed.  I heard of some brides not having their wedding certificate one year after the wedding date.  So get married at home, consider it paperwork and have a symbolic wedding with vows where ever you decide.  You don't have to tell anyone and it will be magical.  That would be the anniversary you celebrate for the next 50-60 years.
  •  
  • I purchased my bouquet from Real Flowers because it will be the most expensive on location and just get your bridal party one or two beautiful local flowers or wild flowers.  It will be gorgeous and a lot more economical.
  •  
  • Get a small wedding cake for your pictures but provide your guests with an assortment of local desserts.  Make it interesting for them, part of the experience. 
  •  
  • Patty Jordan from Wright Travel Agency was wonderful.  She answered every question I had and handled all of the craziness with my guests.  Less stress for me.

Oh one more thing, Punta Cana has amazing offsite venues - again, you get privacy and more for your money - Jellyfish, Kukua, and Huracan.  These venues are on the beach and they are very reasonable. 

I hope all this helps.

You are right about so many of these!! Thanks for posting!

I love Burlington! We lived there 4 years and as soon as my husband gets the golden handshake we're goin' back! No offense to anyone, but I hate Mississauga! We had our AHR at the Beaver and Bulldog at the The Waterfront Hotel, and our friends and family still talk about it!!

I know how you feel…I move away from Burlington for a few years and as soon as I could afford Burlington living again, I moved back! It's not cheap to live here, but then again, it is in the top 3 best places in Canada to live so it makes sense!

Hoping for your husband's "golden handshake"! 

@@JennyAdele - You're so close! I love the Paradisus hotels :). Your wedding is going to be gorgeous

I hope so!! I'm planning on putting pictures up when I get back. Time flies, and pretty soon yours will be quickly approaching! My biggest lesson learned…don't be a procrastinator! I really wish I took that advice more seriously a few months ago. :)

• Like 1

I'm a Toronto bride too!! Getting married October 2014 in Punta Cana, DR. Doing the Legal before we leave, not paying that much in the DR. Expecting around 60-70 pple to attend our wedding that week. So much to do still and need to get started!!

I just noticed your wedding date will be the same as mine! We got married in Jamaica October 20 2011! 

Toronto Bride here, getting married in Cuba 3 weeks today. I'm a mature bride to be, (60) but have had lots of fun getting ready for my big day.  This site has been very helpful with tips etc.

Hope you had a fabulous wedding and hoping that you'll post pics here!! Congrats!!!