8 replies to this topic

#1 rednlovinit21

rednlovinit21
  • 27 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 11, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Punta Cana, Domincan Republic
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

Hi ladies, I have a quick question/wanted to get some opinions on my idea for our group favors.

I live in North Carolina and me and my FI love love love to grill and cook with pretty much any and every kind of seasoning we can find. There is a specialty store near us http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/ and they have said that if I am buying the spices as my favors (the smaller 2 oz glass bottles) they will give me a discount because it's pretty much free advertising.

I want to give each guest one (maybe 2 money permitting) of our favorite spice with a silly little note. I think these represent us really well as a couple and it's something that can actually be used when they get home (hopefully)!

Now my only dilemma and I have searched high and low on the internet to try to figure this out. Will I be able to take these into the Dominican Republic? Like I said they will be 2 oz. glass bottles that will be labeled and include a list of ingredients on the bottle as well. I think I should be okay because it is nothing having to do with fruit or seeds nor will it look like any kind of illegal or banned substances. I will secure them so they don't break and put them in my checked baggage.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with bringing spices out of country and of course if you think this would be a good idea for a favor? Also any idea for a silly/cute little note attached to them would be awesome and very helpful or ideas of what you guys are doing for your group! THANKS!!

#2 AllieH

AllieH
  • Resort/Area Ambassadors
  • 2,014 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
  • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

love this idea as a favor!!!!

I don't have any experience with DR specifically, but I've brought spices home from a number of international locations, and there wasn't a problem with it. I think if they are labeled, and have the ingredients listed (and don't look like white powder...), it should be fine.

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#3 rednlovinit21

rednlovinit21
  • 27 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 11, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Punta Cana, Domincan Republic
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

Thanks @AllieH ! It was either this or colored margarita salts but I thought these might be a little more useful! Definitely no white powder or oregano! haha

#4 AllieH

AllieH
  • Resort/Area Ambassadors
  • 2,014 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
  • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

I'd tend to think bringing oregano IN wouldn't be the issue...getting it home might be :P

hahahaha

Thanks @AllieH ! It was either this or colored margarita salts but I thought these might be a little more useful! Definitely no white powder or oregano! haha

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#5 kellisbaby

kellisbaby
  • 238 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 12, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Excellence Punta Cana
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

That is a such a unique and personalized favor idea, so cute.  I too, sadly don't know if it's 100% allowed, but I don't see why not.  I think if they are dried spices, you shouldn't have any trouble.  It's not like you're bringing fresh product into the country.

Come back and post your finished product! I'd love to see it.  :)

#6 kmk2016

kmk2016
  • Moderators
  • 1,468 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

I'd tend to think bringing oregano IN wouldn't be the issue...getting it home might be :P

hahahaha

Hahahaha I thought the same thing!

#7 kaleighd

kaleighd
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

This is a really cool idea!

#8 kcole123

kcole123
    • 850 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 17, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Melia Caribe
    • LocationPunta Cana, Dominican

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

Awesome idea. Would never have that of that myself.

Kristy and Nathan

Melia Caribe Tropical

April 17, 2015

#9 malyna

malyna
    • 346 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 14, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Excellence Playa Mujeres

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

If you're worried, you can include them with the thank you cards you send out?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Favors, spice, Dominican Republic, domican republic, customs, Luggage Tags, flying, checked baggage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users