Moving to Another City

So, about 2 weeks ago, a job offer came along the way and we are moving to Kamloops (about 4 to 5 hours drive away from Vancouver). We are moving in mid-October. It was sorta good thing that we are moving because it lit a fire under my fiance's arse to help me organize everything for the wedding. 

Things that my fiance did in the past 2 weeks:

- Confirmed with guests and booked and set up 2 private tours

- Confirmed with bridal party and booked catering and room for our bridal party dinner on Nov 1

- Tested out our centrepieces

- Emailed photographer re: extra hours

- Emailed minister Noe re: speech

Not much time to talk since we have to pack. I can update more as we get to Kamloops.

• 2 weeks later...

Hardware and Software

I am procrastinating from packing...

On the software

Anyways, I love dresses and went a bit dress crazy. I tell myself that I need one for pre-wedding photos, one for ceremony, one for TTD and tea ceremony...etc. so I need them all!

1) Bliss Consignment: Maggie Sottero - Ambrosia ($900CAD)

We walked by a second hand store and found this dress almost 2 years before our wedding. The dress fits perfectly and did not need any alterations. 

post-270962-0-75970700-1412881652_thumb.jpg

2) DressilyMe: Imitation of Sottero Midgley - Amber ($230USD)

I wanted something lightweight to be able to walk and swim easily so I made this dress:

post-270962-0-00746600-1412881471_thumb.jpg

post-270962-0-91635000-1412881415_thumb.jpg

More on my review of the dress here

3) AliExpress: Imitation of Galia Lahav ($135 USD)

After my DressilyMe dress I got really, really, REALLY obsessed with illusion back dresses. So I went and got myself one:

post-270962-0-45554600-1412882868_thumb.jpg

post-270962-0-43882900-1412882920_thumb.jpg

post-270962-0-33507600-1412882947_thumb.jpg

4) TaoBao - Red Cheongsam ($190USD)

I really like long trains so I asked for an extra 10cm for $10USD more. 

post-270962-0-48855500-1412883005_thumb.jpg

post-270962-0-91418000-1412883051_thumb.jpg

5) BCBG - Evening wear ($80CAD each)

I bought these awhile back. They weren't for wedding, but I figure I might as well wear them for wedding.

post-270962-0-87769000-1412883194_thumb.jpg

post-270962-0-44629300-1412883568_thumb.jpg

On the Hardware

I love bling. So I went to Payal in Surrey to look for some gorgeous things

1) The silver set from Payal: $120CAD

post-270962-0-29396100-1412884278_thumb.jpg

2) The gold set: $90CAD

I bought these gold bangles from Payal ($30CAD) as well so that our family and relatives can use them during the tea ceremony.

post-270962-0-52359100-1412884424_thumb.jpg

post-270962-0-58880800-1412884485_thumb.jpg

I bought the necklace from Charming Charlies ($25USD), Earrings and comb from Aldo ($30CAD)

post-270962-0-35852500-1412884768_thumb.jpg

3) Sandals: Nine West $40USD

Bought this in the outlet awhile back. I'm planning to use this for walking around the sand.

post-270962-0-98758600-1412884857_thumb.jpg

4) Heels: Vince Camuto $70USD

Saw these at the outlet and so I bought them.

post-270962-0-03871400-1412884630_thumb.jpg

5) Barefoot Sandals: Etsy $35USD

Planning to wear these for the TTD shoot. Please disregard my fading pedicure...

post-270962-0-83247500-1412884878_thumb.jpg

That's it for now, I have to pack again.

Edited by Icis
  • Like 1

Gorgeous dresses!! I love buying dresses too but I'm trying to rein myself in ahaha

I LOVE your cheongsam!! That train and back -  :wub:.  Mine was too short and I wish it had more of a fishtail train - wishing i had gone the custom route now!

I have to say I really enjoyed reading your thread. I've gotten some great ideas and I loved the scavenger hunt idea :). How much is it for the wedpics app (is that what it's called?).

That's great that your fiance is helping you out so much! I'm cutting mine some slack since he's in his last year of university and super stressed but we also make decisions together and we made our invitations together :)Your invitations looked super classy, I loved them. We had the same issue, we included the minimum necessary on them and directed people to our website with all the info which no one read hahah. Oh well. 

I know you mentioned that you booked a tour for everyone. Did you pay for everyone or just make a reservation? Do you think it's cheaper to book them ahead of time or once we get there so we can negotiate prices for bringing so many people? 

OMG... love your crepe rose!!! That is completely gorgeous! And I love the kissing game idea. I've never seen that before.  Your dresses are all beautiful.

Thanks @puravida2015!

I saw the kissing game on Pinterest so I thought to make something similar.

Gorgeous dresses!! I love buying dresses too but I'm trying to rein myself in ahaha

I LOVE your cheongsam!! That train and back -  :wub:.  Mine was too short and I wish it had more of a fishtail train - wishing i had gone the custom route now!

Thanks @tygrrlily! The cheongsam is really a big gamble because I had to explain what I want on an online chat with the vendor in half-chinese half-english. I had to pay in full before they make the dress, and it is almost like there is no going back with refund if it doesn't fit since the shipping will cost about 1/3 of the dress to ship back. Fortunately, my friend and I added a 0.5" extra to all measurements just in case of any measurement mishaps. Thank goodness we did since the dress juuuuust fit.

I have to say I really enjoyed reading your thread. I've gotten some great ideas and I loved the scavenger hunt idea :). How much is it for the wedpics app (is that what it's called?).

That's great that your fiance is helping you out so much! I'm cutting mine some slack since he's in his last year of university and super stressed but we also make decisions together and we made our invitations together :)Your invitations looked super classy, I loved them. We had the same issue, we included the minimum necessary on them and directed people to our website with all the info which no one read hahah. Oh well. 

I know you mentioned that you booked a tour for everyone. Did you pay for everyone or just make a reservation? Do you think it's cheaper to book them ahead of time or once we get there so we can negotiate prices for bringing so many people? 

Thanks @TinkerSofi! The Wedpics app is FREE!! Go download it and try it out! The only con I can say about the app is that it gets stuck at loading, but those are random and...well, it's free so I don't expect perfection.

Yah...I think there were 2 guests who actually went through and read our story posted on our website. Lol and sigh...

I made a reservation for the group. I got no dough to pay for everyone (hahhaha). All jokes aside, we are putting our money elsewhere. We are setting up group games in the resort so whoever wins gets to have a gift card. I don't really want to negotiate for tours when we get there since I find that is another stress that I have to deal with when we are all supposed to be on vacation mode. I kind of decided to make the decision now and not have to worry about it later.

Anyways, My fiance emailed 5 or 6 different tour operators (with good reviews from TripAdvisor) and find out how much it will be for each guest and whether they provide group discount and provide tours for us (since we have more than 10 guests going). I rather find an operator that is willing to provide us all the above criteria than booking at the resort. I just don't know if I feel comfortable paying at the resort for a tour operator that I haven't heard of and usually costing me more.

We booked 2 tours with Edventure Tours at the end (one going to snorkeling and Coba, the other going to Chichen Itza and Valladolid). Edventure has good reviews on TripAdvisor and are willing to provide us private tour for the group (so that we are flexible at where to stay longer and where to go next), discount for group price, and willing to start early (6:30am for our group). They are quick to respond to emails and generally sound really sincere and nice over the email. 

Hope this helps!

Good luck with your move to Kamloops. I've never been but the Okanagon is beautiful. You have lots on your plate but you can do it. Keep in touch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @calgarybride2015! I think it will be easier for me to post regularly again once I am settled in Kamloops. I'll for sure keep in touch!

Edited by Icis
  • Like 1

I am SO in love with your thread! You ladies are all so creative! Your dresses are absolutely stunning! I'm in love with the illusion back too, but I also love the keyhole and I'm thinking for Mexico the keyhole just might be a little cooler.

Packing is so the worst. Good luck with it!! And happy FI is helping you with the wedding plans. Your date is getting close!

Keep the details coming! Enjoying reading your thread!

• 4 weeks later...

You are sneaking up on 1 month out!!!

When do you fly out?

You getting excited? (I am sure you are!!!)

@@calgarybride2015, I know! I have less than 1 month! I'm excited at the same time just wanted to get it over with! I have a lot of updates coming up soooon!

• Like 2