879 replies to this topic

#191 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

My fiancé's sister got married in Antigua in 2011 and she got $200 off each package based on the amount of people they had. I have heard that from a lot of people. Does that not exist?

I am trying to look into April as well for a date but it looks like Transat (which is the only company that flies from WPG to Cancun) only flies there from December to April 1st - so my options are limited. I also want to stay away from Spring Break and reading week.

@kmk2016 - Did you get a better price that you got when looking online? Are you flying with Transat?

@Lilgabri03 - Do you mind if I ask how many guests you will be having?

yes, transat is the only company that goes to azul fives from Canada starting in 2015. This is good and bad at the same time. Bad because there are no other options so you either like their price or move on, but good because it deters people from booking on their own and outside of your party. Basically if your guests are finding a better price, then chances are you can find a better price. Both kmk2016 and I have the same travel agent and she has been able to block our rooms a year and a bit in advance. I'm sure she won't have a problem getting quotes for you either, let us know if you want her contact #. 

We had another hotel in mind before booking Azul Fives. The prices were about the same but they gave us less free people (1 every 20 rooms that booked vs. 1 every 10) and to reserve the room block they required us to pay $150 for all of our guests upfront (non refundable, so you can see the problem with that). We had also really liked Beach Palace in Cancun but we had the same problem was you, we didn't want people to spend an arm and a leg. The quotes we got for Azul Fives was really reasonable and around our budget of $1500-2000 per person. The most expensive room comes right under $2000 with taxes included. You will not get a deal as you would if you book last minute for two people but they give you 30% off for wedding parties booked 9 months in advance or more. This means the prices will probably go up from your quote up until a few weeks before the wedding, when they're trying to sell off any leftover rooms they might have. Of course, you can't book a whole wedding on sell-off rooms because they might have 3 rooms left, if any. That's the trade-off. If the prices do go down for whatever reason our TA told us we can ask for an adjustment with Transat (as long as they're not sell-offs).

Unfortunately, most hotels only allow to have outside parties until 11 or maybe 12 max. This is a huge issue for me and one of my biggest compromises to have a destination wedding. If this is the only reason you're not choosing Azul Fives I'd recommend that you think about it because you won't find many differences with other hotels. We're planning on hitting the hotel club afterwards or getting some kind of transportation for everyone to go downtown to a club there. Playa is quite safe from what I've heard, of course always use common sense. I've only been to Cancun and we used all public transportation there to get to the clubs, I never felt unsafe. 

@khmciver getting the $1700 waived?  :o lucky you!  how many people are you bringing?

event.png

#192 Smellsey

Smellsey
  • 125 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 7, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

Thank you - @TinkerSofi - You have been a great help.

I originally said that the 11pm music off thing was a deal breaker for me. It seems like inside you are able to have your music til 12pm which is late enough for me. Then whoever wants to come - we can go to the bar. We can decide that when we get there.

I am going to meet with my TA about prices/discounts/incentives and go from there. She did inform me that if the price drops anytime before the 60 days before and as long as they have the flights and rooms available, we will get that discount.

#193 kellymenning

kellymenning
  • Site Supporter
  • 150 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 1, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

@Lilgabri03

Yeah, I think the only reason they waived it was because I have 110 guests, not including us. They said that's a pretty big group for a wedding, plus I'm paying the $8/person fee for the cocktail party anyway. We're using the Sky Deck for the post-ceremony cocktail party only. It's too small for our reception so we're doing that in the pool/garden area. It doesn't hurt to ask them if they'll waive it. I basically told them I think it's crap that they wouldn't waive it since it's such a big group. I think they got tired of me complaining and pestering them. :)

Wedding Date: November 1, 2014
Wedding Location: Azul Fives Hotel in Playa del Carmen

Photographer: Photos in Cancun - Derek Campbell
http://www.photosincancun.com

Decoration Rentals: Love & Lace Wedding Decor
https://www.facebook...oveandlacedecor

#194 kmk2016

kmk2016
  • Moderators
  • 1,468 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

@Lilgabri03

Yeah, I think the only reason they waived it was because I have 110 guests, not including us. They said that's a pretty big group for a wedding, plus I'm paying the $8/person fee for the cocktail party anyway. We're using the Sky Deck for the post-ceremony cocktail party only. It's too small for our reception so we're doing that in the pool/garden area. It doesn't hurt to ask them if they'll waive it. I basically told them I think it's crap that they wouldn't waive it since it's such a big group. I think they got tired of me complaining and pestering them. :)

Who is your WC? I may try this too (at Sensatori) since I will have a large group as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#195 kellymenning

kellymenning
  • Site Supporter
  • 150 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 1, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

I had two wedding planners from Karisma originally, Andrea and then Lucy. Both sucked so I talked to my travel agent who does weddings all the time and she got me a new wedding planner. Ana Maria. She's with Weddings by Lomas though. She's been a HUGE help. Can't hurt to try!

Wedding Date: November 1, 2014
Wedding Location: Azul Fives Hotel in Playa del Carmen

Photographer: Photos in Cancun - Derek Campbell
http://www.photosincancun.com

Decoration Rentals: Love & Lace Wedding Decor
https://www.facebook...oveandlacedecor

#196 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

I'm so excited! The first few guests started to book already and we're getting a great response from people. Definitely those who we didn't think would come are now saying that they will. Everything is taking shape already :)

event.png

#197 kmk2016

kmk2016
  • Moderators
  • 1,468 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

Selfishly I hope you all don't leave and do your planning on FB! As a fellow Karisma bride (I'm at sensatori) since so much of what we go through/have questions on, that apply to all of us as we deal with the WC- I like having you all here sharing your info here!!!!

The sense of community is so good here- that it would be sad to lose you all to FB! Haha (im so selfish!)

Edited by TammyWright, 10 October 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#198 KScheer

KScheer
  • 34 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 11, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives - Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

Hi Ladies!

I haven't been on this site in a while just been busy finishing up our invitations!

It will make things much easier for posting pictures...Almost 5 months out for us!

#199 andreaberretta

andreaberretta
  • 31 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 1, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives, Riviera Maya
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

@andreaberretta thanks for the pictures! They assure me that we made the right choice ;)

A few questions for you: 

Did you try the beach? What did you think of it, was it too rocky or was it good enough for swimming and snorkeling? 

Did you go to their lounge? What kind of music do they play, do people dance, how busy is it? 

Thanks! 

Hey!! The sand is really soft and the beach is really pretty! Perfect blue, and very private.  I just don't know about the snorkeling.

I did went to the lounge but it was closed :( 

This next weekend I'm going again to the hotel with my wedding planner, so I'll make sure to ask those questions there and bring you guys more info.

:)

#200 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Hey!! The sand is really soft and the beach is really pretty! Perfect blue, and very private. I just don't know about the snorkeling.

I did went to the lounge but it was closed :(

This next weekend I'm going again to the hotel with my wedding planner, so I'll make sure to ask those questions there and bring you guys more info.

:)

Thank you so much for the info! I was super worried about some of the reviews on trip advisor saying that the beach is too rocky. We love the beach and I think I'd be there regardless haha but I was concerned for my guests

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

event.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cancun Riviera Maya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users