We are doing a courthouse wedding here in the states and a symbolic ceremony in Mexico. My parents do not like the idea at all but my FI and i like it this way a whole lot better for many reasons including:
- We wont have to do the blood test in mexico
- I really want my God father to be the one who speaks at our wedding and if we do it leaglly in mexico this couldn't happen.
- Mexico weddings require them to be in spanish by a judge so we would have to have a translator for our vows- really didn't like this idea.
- You don't have to arrive multiple days ahead of time for legality reasons
- No additional fees- close to $1,000 once we added them up. plus you don't have to travel with more important documents. birth certificates/ divorce papers ect.
- And since we are having the courthouse wedding in 2014 we can save an extra year on taxes and not have to wait till 2015 for our mexico wedding date. Which helps us out with the wedding price/ rehearsal dinner
Some people are pretty vocal about not approving of this way but we don't care. The ceremony in mexico is going to be the wedding for us. He won't wear his ring until mexico, i won't be called his 'wife', the Mexico date will be the day we celebrate our anniversary, and we are saying our own vows in Mexico to make it even more meaningful. I really don't see why anyone would want do it legally in Mexico. It just seems like a big headache just so people can say yes i saw them sign the piece of paper.