Getting Married At Courthouse?

My fiance wants to keep the court house super low key. He told me that he doesn't want to be asked "do you take this woman to be your wife..." because he wants all that saved for our wedding day in Mexico and keep that day very special and not like a vow renewal. I don't know if that is possible but I know I will try to keep it as minimal as possible for him. We're spending all this time planning, all the money making sure things go perfectly in Mexico...I wouldn't want anything to take away from that.

That sounds like an awesome plan, if we had to go this route (and we almost did) we would have done the same thing, kept it minimal and quiet and saved the real thing and all the emotions and sentiment for the DW.

• Like 1

We're planning to have the legal wedding on our real anniversary with just our immediate family.  Nothing fancy pretty much just signing our marriage certificate.  We want to keep it a secret from everyone (aside from our family of course)  then have our real wedding in Cuba where we do vows and exchange rings and everything.  My future mother in law doesn't really like that idea because she feels that the Cuba wedding is unnecessary, but I heard from other brides that it takes 6 months for you to receive your marriage certificate and I don't want to wait that long.  Also we want to avoid any legal issues that may arise.  

We're planning to have the legal wedding on our real anniversary with just our immediate family.  Nothing fancy pretty much just signing our marriage certificate.  We want to keep it a secret from everyone (aside from our family of course)  then have our real wedding in Cuba where we do vows and exchange rings and everything.  My future mother in law doesn't really like that idea because she feels that the Cuba wedding is unnecessary, but I heard from other brides that it takes 6 months for you to receive your marriage certificate and I don't want to wait that long.  Also we want to avoid any legal issues that may arise.  

Good idea! Keep it quiet, because you will only hear feedback and opinions from others that you may not want to hear! It's none of their business what you decide.

Waiting for the marriage cert is kind of a pain, but oh well, I'm in no rush to change my name. I'll always be a Clark in my heart anyway :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We got married at the courthouse with one friend present. We are keeping it quiet as we do not want the moment ruined for all of our guests flying in for our destination wedding. Both sets of parents don't even know-- bridal party doesn't know! We felt like the only reason for getting married at the courthouse was to avoid the headache of getting legally married in Mexico. It has no sentimental value to us as we consider our upcoming destination wedding in front of our family and friends the most intimate way to to join in marriage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are doing a courthouse wedding here in the states and a symbolic ceremony in Mexico. My parents do not like the idea at all but my FI and i like it this way a whole lot better for many reasons including: 

• We wont have to do the blood test in mexico 
  • I really want my God father to be the one who speaks at our wedding and if we do it leaglly in mexico this couldn't happen.
  • Mexico weddings require them to be in spanish by a judge so we would have to have a translator for our vows- really didn't like this idea. 
  • You don't have to arrive multiple days ahead of time for legality reasons 
  • No additional fees- close to $1,000 once we added them up. plus you don't have to travel with more important documents. birth certificates/ divorce papers ect.
  • And since we are having the courthouse wedding in 2014 we can save an extra year on taxes and not have to wait till 2015 for our mexico wedding date. Which helps us out with the wedding price/ rehearsal dinner

Some people are pretty vocal about not approving of this way but we don't care. The ceremony in mexico is going to be the wedding for us. He won't wear his ring until mexico, i won't be called his 'wife', the Mexico date will be the day we celebrate our anniversary, and we are saying our own vows in Mexico to make it even more meaningful. I really don't see why anyone would want do it legally in Mexico. It just seems like a big headache just so people can say yes i saw them sign the piece of paper.

• Like 1

We are doing a courthouse wedding here in the states and a symbolic ceremony in Mexico. My parents do not like the idea at all but my FI and i like it this way a whole lot better for many reasons including: 

• We wont have to do the blood test in mexico 
  • I really want my God father to be the one who speaks at our wedding and if we do it leaglly in mexico this couldn't happen.
  • Mexico weddings require them to be in spanish by a judge so we would have to have a translator for our vows- really didn't like this idea. 
  • You don't have to arrive multiple days ahead of time for legality reasons 
  • No additional fees- close to $1,000 once we added them up. plus you don't have to travel with more important documents. birth certificates/ divorce papers ect.
  • And since we are having the courthouse wedding in 2014 we can save an extra year on taxes and not have to wait till 2015 for our mexico wedding date. Which helps us out with the wedding price/ rehearsal dinner

Some people are pretty vocal about not approving of this way but we don't care. The ceremony in mexico is going to be the wedding for us. He won't wear his ring until mexico, i won't be called his 'wife', the Mexico date will be the day we celebrate our anniversary, and we are saying our own vows in Mexico to make it even more meaningful. I really don't see why anyone would want do it legally in Mexico. It just seems like a big headache just so people can say yes i saw them sign the piece of paper.

This is exactly why my FI and I are doing it this way as well. So far our families don't see a problem with doing it this way...they are looking forward to the wedding and Cabo....either way doing it this way seems much less of a hassle.