#1 kellymiller

kellymiller
  • 238 posts
  • Wedding Date:March 6, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Palm Beach Dominican Republic
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Hi All,

I'm going to get up my dress shopping pretty soon (in the next 1-2 months) and I was wondering if others invited their future mother in law to come with them? I'm not that close with her so I wasn't planning on inviting her (she lives 4 hours away too), but I wanted to know what others think first. Thanks!

#2 CurlyKristen

CurlyKristen
  • 209 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 31, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire
  • LocationPuerto Morelos, Mexico

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

I think it's okay to only invite people you really want there. I was planning to go by myself for the first few times and then when I have it down to my top 3-5 I will invite my family and friends to come give their opinion. Happy planning!

#3 jackshayne0123

jackshayne0123
  • 213 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 23, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Blau Varadero Cuba
  • LocationCalgary AB Canada

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

It's totally ok not to invite her, invite whoever you want! (or nobody, that's ok too!) I did not invite my MIL, because she lives 8 hours away, but even if she did live in the same city, I would not have invited her. We aren't that close, I didn't want her seeing my dress, and frankly I didn't want her opinions. My own mother couldn't come with me, because she lives across the country, so if my own mother couldn't be there, then my MIL certainly wasn't coming. She had to wait for the wedding day just like everybody else! :)

#4 gexton71

gexton71
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

It's totally ok not to invite her, invite whoever you want! (or nobody, that's ok too!) I did not invite my MIL, because she lives 8 hours away, but even if she did live in the same city, I would not have invited her. We aren't that close, I didn't want her seeing my dress, and frankly I didn't want her opinions. My own mother couldn't come with me, because she lives across the country, so if my own mother couldn't be there, then my MIL certainly wasn't coming. She had to wait for the wedding day just like everybody else! :)

Very good points you wrote here. I you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good suggestions.

#5 csho

csho
    • 1,007 posts
    • Wedding Date:May 5, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Iberostar Laguna Azul, Varadero Cuba
    • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

At first I had absolutely no plans of inviting my MIL as I was trying to keep opinions to a minimum. I tend to know what I like and what looks good on me. I went a few times alone, but had invited my mom up to go looking. My MIL had expressed interest in coming so I ended up inviting her along. She was so happy to come and it was nice to have her there. She's not very opinionated, so it worked well. She definitely would express which dresses she liked, like any would, but not be like some of the people on Say Yes to the Dress lol! Overall I am happy she was able to come and we could share that time together. But I would say it depends on how close, comfortable you are with them, and also whether they are going to impede you choosing a dress because of their strong opinions. I was so lucky everyone was happy with the dress I choose and mostly because they could see how happy and excited I was about the dress.  

#6 CurlyKristen

CurlyKristen
    • 209 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 31, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire
    • LocationPuerto Morelos, Mexico

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

@csho Good advice!

#7 kellymiller

kellymiller
    • 238 posts
    • Wedding Date:March 6, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Palm Beach Dominican Republic
    • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

Great advice, thanks everyone!

#8 DWBride2015

DWBride2015
    • Site Supporter
    • 128 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 24, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Royalton Resort- Jellyfish
    • LocationDR Punta Cana

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Thank , this is something I needed to her as well
    Soon to be Mrs. Thiam

#9 GingerJ228

GingerJ228
    • 158 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 8, 2014
    • Wedding Location:NOW Sapphire
    • LocationMexico

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Nope, I didn't even invite my own mother (who I am very close with and love dearly).  My BFF and I went and that was it.  I found a dress and ordered it. You know the expression too many cooks i the kitchen… well dress shopping for a wedding can turn into that.  I may feel this way b/c I'm 33 and was engaged once before.  Bring 1 or 2 that are close to you for advice or it can get out of hand. 

#10 mysticjade

mysticjade
    • 80 posts
    • Wedding Date:May 1, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Royalton White Sands, Montego Bay, Jamaica
    • LocationToronto

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

I need two different dresses for two different ceremonies, so for the white dress I took my future SIL and MIL (wanted their opinion on what would be appropriate for a Catholic church) and for my Indian lengha I went with my mom and sister/MOH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users