#1 kellymiller

kellymiller
  • 238 posts
  • Wedding Date:March 6, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Palm Beach Dominican Republic
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Where are people having their AHR?

We live in a different city than both our families (6 hours from mine, 3 from his), so where do we have the AHR? Or does it depend on who is hosting it?

I'm not sure if people would travel 6+ hours just for a reception...

#2 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

We had ours in a restaurant that is part of a hotel, that has a semi-private room atthe back. We were a small group - only 30 but we still had a DJ and dancing and dinner. It will depend what your budget is and whether you just want a reception, or a full sit down dinner, and how many people you think will be there. We had a second cake that we cut, and redid our first dance and had a slideshow of wedding pictures that ran through the evening. With it being part of a hotel, we got a good rate for booking a certain number of rooms so people weren't worried about drinking and driving! We had friends that drove 8 hours to attend so if they are people that care about you, they will be there!

Good luck, and congrats!!

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#3 pandahugs

pandahugs
  • 54 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Seven Stars, Turks & Caicos

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

We had ours in a restaurant that is part of a hotel, that has a semi-private room atthe back. We were a small group - only 30 but we still had a DJ and dancing and dinner. It will depend what your budget is and whether you just want a reception, or a full sit down dinner, and how many people you think will be there. We had a second cake that we cut, and redid our first dance and had a slideshow of wedding pictures that ran through the evening. With it being part of a hotel, we got a good rate for booking a certain number of rooms so people weren't worried about drinking and driving! We had friends that drove 8 hours to attend so if they are people that care about you, they will be there!

Good luck, and congrats!!

That's a good idea hosting your AHR at a restaurant attached to a hotel! Especially if you have loved ones traveling that far!

#4 seka21

seka21
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

We are having it at my home town where most of my family lives and we have about 70 people coming! HIs family is small and spread out.

#5 stefadile

stefadile
    • 192 posts
    • Wedding Date:December 30, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Negril , Jamaica
    • LocationIreland

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:58 AM

We're doing our ahr in my hometown. We're going to have a Catholic blessing of our Marraige in our local church first, then a dinner and a DJ in a local hotel. Our out of town guests can book a room there for the night, so they've no excuse to miss it !!!

#6 BusyBee280

BusyBee280
    • 109 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 15, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya, Mexico

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

I'm worried about driving up the cost of doing something like this. Anyone have any budgeting tips? Or creative ways of throwing something like this?

#7 angelsj247

angelsj247
    • 43 posts
    • Wedding Location:Secrets Wild Orchid
    • LocationChicago

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

Im in the process of looking now for an ahr. So far ive been looking at local park district spaces you can rent out. I found one thats pretty decent looking inside and its 60 an hour. Id cater food- havent decided exactly where from yet i found a place that does a buffet for about 8-9 a person- my invite list is about 140. but probably expect around 100 to go. id also get a keg and some wine. Im going to spray paint wine bottles ive been saving up the colors of my wedding- purple and teal put them on the tables with babys  breath in them. Ill hopefully get a dj at a cheap price and thats about all. 

so far thats my idea- but im still lookin for cheaper options. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users