I hope you guys can help a newbie focus a little! lol

My fiancé and I are planning on getting married around PDC early 2015. The two resorts I really like for their weddings are the Grand Bahia Tulum, and the Azul Sensatori. We will be having a lot of guests (adults and children) coming that have never been to Mexico before so we want it to be a good experience for them. I'll list my pros and cons and maybe someone can put me on the right track or suggest something I haven't thought of yet. I'd really appreciate it :)

Azul Pros: beautiful resort, smaller property, great selection of food and no reservations, variety of room types, great kids and adults only areas.

Azul Cons: not the best beach, at the higher end of what we want our guests to spend for the trip, further from PDC than I would like.

GBP Pros: awesome beach, lots of food choices, perfect price point, large resort with lots to do.

GBP Cons: again, further from PDC, I dislike the dolphin tank, it may be too large a resort?, limited a la cartes.

Any thoughts? We had also looked at Playacar Palace but the price seemed a little steep for such a small resort, and the Gran Porto Real seems like it's getting a little older and not many food options. I feel like my brain is going to explode! lol. Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give me.

@@LissaSou

Hi! I totally understand how you feel, there's so much to choose from.

I chose to get married at Azul Sensatori because of the size of the resort, awesome reviews on food, guests have raved about the great staff and my travel agent recommended it over many other resorts.

The beach was an issue for me at first too... But all the pictures I've seen and feedback from past brides on this forum have assured me that the water looks clear and beautiful! Also, if you walk up the beach 5 minutes it's gorgeous and great for swimming. There's a reef out front of the resort so it can be a little rocky but not a huge issue.

I initially looked at The Royal and Gran Porto Real too! But those resorts have a VERY public beach and that's personally not what I wanted. Although the beach itself is beautiful.

Also I'm not sure if you've seen but Azul has the most breathtaking decor packages!

Good luck! I'm leaving Tuesday for our wedding eekkk!! So excited :)

@@LissaSou

Hi! I totally understand how you feel, there's so much to choose from.

I chose to get married at Azul Sensatori because of the size of the resort, awesome reviews on food, guests have raved about the great staff and my travel agent recommended it over many other resorts.

The beach was an issue for me at first too... But all the pictures I've seen and feedback from past brides on this forum have assured me that the water looks clear and beautiful! Also, if you walk up the beach 5 minutes it's gorgeous and great for swimming. There's a reef out front of the resort so it can be a little rocky but not a huge issue.

I initially looked at The Royal and Gran Porto Real too! But those resorts have a VERY public beach and that's personally not what I wanted. Although the beach itself is beautiful.

Also I'm not sure if you've seen but Azul has the most breathtaking decor packages!

Good luck! I'm leaving Tuesday for our wedding eekkk!! So excited :)

Congrats and have fun!!!!!

@@JMK923

Thanks for your response. I feel like I'm really hung up on the beach thing but if there is a better beach area close by that makes me feel much better. It doesn't bother me so much, but we have family coming that haven't taken a vacation in years and I really want them to have the whole package - great food, awesome weather, beautiful resort, and a picturesque beach :)

Congrats on your wedding! Hope you have a fantastic time!!!

Welcome to the forum, Lissasou, and Congrats on your 2015 Wedding!!!

Here's another consideration you may wish to put into the mix......the outside vendor policies of the resorts you're considering. It's a factor when you're bringing in a professional photography team for example (which is highly recommended by everyone in the industry here :)

Here are a few of the latest policies we've encountered on our recent photo shoots...(* policies may change without notice*)

Resort Policies

Wishing you all the best with your research and plans - cheers!

1175142_10151766602574487_1706198489_n.j

521804_10151524452044487_1741127968_n.jp

All the Best! team MTM :)

@@JMK923 - Congrats & hope your wedding exceeds your expectations/dreams!!! We are considering AS.  Can't wait to hear about your wedding & see pics. 

@@LissaSou - we just came back from a site tour and AS was one of the places we checked out.  The WC said the water is generally turquoise blue with a few dark spots where reefs are.  While we were there, it was "splotchy" (dark in spots & turquoisish in spots) because it was raining. I haven't been to the other resorts you listed but felt AS was very beautiful (pics don't do it justice in my opinion), had great food (especially at the Mexican/Latin restaurant) and fit the expectations/interests of our range of guests (those with kids, those looking for a couples vacation etc...).  My fiance liked the fact the teen club had almost every type of gaming console (from the latest xbox to playstation) and a pool table. The WC said they allow adult guests to use this if there are little to no teens staying at the resort.  Since we are looking to get married in February, he's banking on being able to play. LOL  Also, we LOVED the WC.  She was so on point and made sure the staff at every restaurant had a signature drink and/or food samples for us to try.  Hope that helps!

Hello and congrats! It is so hard to decide and I wish I had researched more before selecting Azul beach. 

Just a bit of a warning about the Azul resorts.

The outside vender fees are outrageous! $800!!!! and their 2 approved photographers are disappointing. 

You will also have to deal with Lomas travel.  Depending on your budget this may be an issue.  Yes, they have beautiful décor packages but that's only a plus if you are willing to spend $3000 to decorate your ceremony area & $300 per table. If you opt to do a la carte the little things will also add up.  Centerpieces (IMO) are expensive and boring.  The online pictures are also low quality and many things you are expected to order without actually seeing it.

When you begin to plan you work with a coordinator out of Florida.  Mine is awful.  Usually takes about a week for a response and often doesn't answer my questions.  she does not offer options. You have to ask all the right questions and if you aren't careful and informed they will try to upcharge you.  For example my wedding is only 25 ppl.  when I asked about the cake she sent me a quote of $375.  when I first booked the wedding I received a brochure with the cake prices. For a cake for 20-30 pp its $290.  when I called her out on it, she told me that was the price for 30-40.  why would I need that cake for 25ppl?

Do your research on here! It will be a big help :)

Good luck

Heyy!  Just wondering if you came any closer to your decision?   There are soooo many choices, and I feel like I'm in the same boat!   I am 99% sure we are doing the Paradisus La Esmeralda...have you looked into that resort?   I loved it because it was similar to Azul Sensatori with rave reviews for food, and modern amenities.  And the added bonus which was also HUGE for us, a non-rocky/seaweed filled beach.  Outside vendor fees are terrible just like AS, $1000/vendor.  My fiance and I were planning to do a site visit this month at Paradisus, however, they are sold out, so we may stay at the AS and meet with their WC as a back up.  

@@LissaSou

I am right there with you!  I am having trouble deciding between Azul Sensatori and Generations Riviera Maya.  I have no clue which to go with.  The one major reason why I didn't choose AS right off the bat was because of the beach.  I want to get married right in the sand and what is the point of getting married in Mexico on the beach if it isn't beautiful.  I was also worried about the color of the water at AS…I like bluer water and in the pictures I have seen it was more greenish blue.  I have heard Generations Riviera Maya has a better beach and bluer water but that it is rocky.  I'm really having a tough time because I am trying to stay around $1,000-$1,200 for my guests.