Some of us have been trying to make our own luminarias. I thought, heck- if we're going to make them, why not just make the whole bag (MARTHA ALERT!) These bags also could be used for favors, gift bags, etc. Anyway, I found these pretty simple directions, I'll post the results when I get a chance to try it...
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR BAG:
- 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of transparent vellum
- Something rectangle or square to fold vellum around (i.e. two medium stamps taped together)
- Tape runner or double sided tape
- Hole punch
- 1 yard ribbon of your choice (organdy and sheers look beautiful with this vellum)
- Decorative scissors (optional)
1. (Optional) Stamp and emboss an 8 1/2â€ x 11â€ sheet of transparent vellum as desired. This can be an all over pattern or one main design in the center of the page. Or, just use decorated vellum!
2. Wrap the entire sheet, length wise, around something rectangular or square, leaving enough space so that the two edges can be secured together.
3. Run a line of double-sided tape down one seam and stick two sides together.
4. Fold the bottom of the bag like you would wrap a package. Secure folded edges with double-sided tape or tape runner.
5. Pull the object that the paper is wrapped around out of the bag.
Narrow sides can be creased like a paper sack or left smooth. To crease sides, simply fold center of the side in until two edges meet. Crease all three edges, 2 sides and center point. Have a brown paper sack near by to use as a model.
6. (Optional) Open end of sack can be trimmed with decorative scissors or left straight. Fill with goodies and fold over. Punch two holes in center of folded over part about 1/2â€ â€“ 1â€ down. Thread ribbon through holes. Tie ribbon in a bow or knot.