My Secrets: Wild Orchid Jamaica Wedding Review Planning Thread 2013 By Swok

SWOK

@cora4600  - One of my bridesmaid is also my hair dresser so she did my hair and my moms. I did my own makeup. I gave my bridal package to my sister who got her hair and makeup done and was very pleased. (one weird thing was that they didn't use eyeliner, but rather shadow to line her eyes. It was pretty but a different look for her) a few of the other bridesmaids also made appointments for hair and no one had any complaints. BUUUUUT if I didn't have Shayna I would prob consider an OV since it is your big day if its in your budget.

@@pzl101 - Thank you! So happy to help. I did, I emailed them a few options which were ridic (like 400-475 just for mine) so I finally said just make me a bouquet for $100 with the blue orchids, my sisters was the same only smaller for $70.  You can email the wedding coordinator once you are in your 2 month planning period and they will forward it to Tai Flora and give you the cost - caution it takes ~ 1 week per email to get a response.  For me it just was easier to give them a price point and a color scheme and let them take care of the hassle.

side note: STILL WAITING ON PROFESSIONAL PICS. Misha Earle initially told me 4-6 weeks and we are now at 8 soooooo hoping those come soon :)

thanks! I actually submitted a few bouquet photos to them about a week ago - I'm not within 2 months yet so I bet it will be longer. I'm bracing myself for outrageous prices but still think I'll be shocked. Good to know about just giving them a price range! Sounds easier since I don't need anything too fancy - just the colors I want. Yours came out beautiful. Thanks again!

@cora4600  - One of my bridesmaid is also my hair dresser so she did my hair and my moms. I did my own makeup. I gave my bridal package to my sister who got her hair and makeup done and was very pleased. (one weird thing was that they didn't use eyeliner, but rather shadow to line her eyes. It was pretty but a different look for her) a few of the other bridesmaids also made appointments for hair and no one had any complaints. BUUUUUT if I didn't have Shayna I would prob consider an OV since it is your big day if its in your budget.

@@pzl101 - Thank you! So happy to help. I did, I emailed them a few options which were ridic (like 400-475 just for mine) so I finally said just make me a bouquet for $100 with the blue orchids, my sisters was the same only smaller for $70.  You can email the wedding coordinator once you are in your 2 month planning period and they will forward it to Tai Flora and give you the cost - caution it takes ~ 1 week per email to get a response.  For me it just was easier to give them a price point and a color scheme and let them take care of the hassle.

side note: STILL WAITING ON PROFESSIONAL PICS. Misha Earle initially told me 4-6 weeks and we are now at 8 soooooo hoping those come soon :)

• 1 month later...

SWOK - have you received your photos from Misha yet?  I booked her for my wedding in May and just want to get and idea of how long I will be waiting for my photos.

Wow, thank you SO much for writing this! It is extremely helpful! Your wedding, and yourself looked gorgeous! My fiance and I have probably researched every destination possible lol. I think we are almost settled on this one! I have a couple questions!

First, THANK YOU for the wedding linen direct site. I will most likely use it!!

1. You said you purchase chair bows...I see in your photo you had white chair covers underneath. Did you purchase those from Secrets, or did they let you use those for free? Same with the white table cloths you used?

2. Were they upset that you brought your own things? Did they set it up for you, or did you have to do those things yourself?

Thanks again SO much for this wonderfully, detailed review!

• Like 1

I am going to go ahead and say that I shouldn't get my hopes up with getting my professional pics back from Misha for my AHR a tad over a month after our ceremony?  :wacko: I was really hoping that I could play them during a slideshow at the reception. I'm sure they are well worth the wait though! How did you feel about DJ blu? I'm really stuck on whether I want to pay so much extra money for a DJ or just get the sound system and hope I can find someone to take charge of it.....makes me nervous! Music is a huge part of the reception! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

@@Kassizee

the white chair covers and table clothes were included in my wedding package.

they were def not upset I brought the extra stuff. almost every bride who goes down brings some of their own décor. you just bring the items to you wedding meeting the day before and they set up EVERYTHING! soo easy! cost was $50 to set up décor.

I brought: chair sashes, table runners, candles, candle rings, jewels to sprinkle, table numbers in frames, coaster favors, name cards, map for guest book, pom poms for head table and around gazebo, glow stick bracelets and necklaces set up in sand pails 

@@Jennkn87

Me, my husband, and the entire wedding party were OBSESSED wih DJ blu! I would definitely recommend. We were a little anal about the music for the wedding so we sent a very detailed list of specific songs to be played during dinner and the reception. But I was a hit. I felt the DJ gives it a more wedding feel and since we had so many people attend it gave it a more party vibe and atmosphere. They have lights and he MCs too. The day after the wedding, people and workers all over the resort were coming up to us and talking about how fun the wedding looked.

Also of note he played all the songs we requested (I feel this is impt to note bc I know some brides say DJs just use the list as a reference guide and play what they want) He was like it took me forever to find this "HANG ON SLOOPY" song hahaha We all graduated from The Ohio State so we had to have that one!

Edited by SWOK

• 3 months later...

@@SWOK

Thank you for replying!!

I am using wedding linens direct for the chair bows- so thank you for that!

I am having a hard time getting table sizes/measurements from them? I have to have my table cloths made as I cant find any in my colour! 

I highly doubt you know the exact table measurements lol, but do you remember the tables you had for your reception?

I know the guests tables are 72'' round...  

Was there a head table at all for the bride&groom and wedding party? A cake table? Any other tables?

Do you think we would be able to fit 11 people at some of the guest tables or would that be too uncomfortable?