How in the world did you pick your destination?
Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:55 AM
Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:40 AM
Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:17 AM
1. 5 star resort because we are having an adults only affair and it was important that since our guests were primarily having a holiday to book a nice place to stay for the week.
2. Activities near the destination for ages 18 to 65. So my nephew can go ziplining but my parents can take a nice coach tour.
3. Private Dinner for the wedding. This was our most important wedding item. I was at a resort last March and there was a wedding in the restaurant and I did not like the lack of privacy for the group.
4. Wedding Packages, I wanted somewhere that was all inclusive for the wedding, a package that would work for 15 guests or 50 because I have no idea how many people will join us.
my groom and I also are leaving the travel arrangements to our guests. When I first booked our resort (about a month ago) I got 5 different travel agents to do quotes for the same resort. I found that the rates were coming in $500 more than I could directly book through the airline. I asked why this was and can offer some insight.
1. The travel agent needs their "cut" on making money off the booking.
2. When you get an airline to hold for example 30 seats they take, 10 of the lowest fare possible, 10 of mid, and 10 of the highest. & average them out. So I looked at it like we were penalizing our guests for the last minute bookings of my friends that dawdle.
3. I learned very early on that my family and friends have different travel preferences. I am finding that it has been great to leave it up to the guests.
Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:05 PM
My TA has given us by far the best rates for booking so far in advance. I have been checking online to see if I could get anything for cheaper and I haven't yet! So I'm hoping it still stays as the best travel deal. The group rate on both the hotel and airline are much better than I could find and I am getting a very large resort credit based on the number of guests that have booked with our group. It also diverts all of the questions. It's much easier to direct guests to the TA with all their travel needs instead of you having to answer all of them! Happy planning.
Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:38 PM
We wanted to get married 12-13-14 and my parents have a time share in Aruba...so that is where we are going!
Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:36 PM
Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:02 PM
We wanted to go back to the Dominican Republic at some point, so we decided to make that our DW place. After doing some research (finding resorts that met our criteria), and after going over several reviews, I eventually narrowed it down to a resort that I think will fit us perfectly. I also kept in mind the money people would need to spend to get there and what people could do while they were there.
Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:41 PM
Wow - what great advice everyone - and what a wide range of criteria and priorities .....guess it comes down to what the wedding couple is most comfortable with and like the best...after all it IS Your Big Day!!!
Wishing everyone happy research and planning - and that your Wonderful Wedding Celebration is everything you envision - cheers!!!
Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya
Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do: MTM Reviews
Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!
We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
100% Deposit Guarantee
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:08 PM
Congrats! I found that choosing a destination and a resort was the most stressful part. If it were my fiancé and I, it wouldn't matter as much if I chose a horrible resort, but the pressure of choosing for 40 people was crazy. I ended up relying on my TA a lot to give me recommendations and then once we narrowed it down to our top 3 resorts (all of which we would be happy with), it honestly came down to the price.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users