Blue Venado Brides---post here!!

Hi ladies,

I got married at Blue Venado last month and it was absolutely perfect!!  You have picked a great spot.  I worked with Maria from Weddings in Playa who was wonderful and executed the event flawlessly.  Naiara from Naal Photography was our photography, who did a great job!  Here are a handful of pics.  Feel free to respond or private message if you have any specific questions :)

attachicon.gifNaal-Wedding-Photography139.jpg

attachicon.gifNaal-Wedding-Photography200.jpg

attachicon.gifNaal-Wedding-Photography249.jpg

attachicon.gifNaal-Wedding-Photography330.jpg

Heidi

LOVE your pictures! Absolutely gorgeous.

If you don't mind me asking, how close to sunset did you have your wedding? Also, what were your food options and how much lighting did you use? Haha, I'll probably have lots of questions for you here! :)

Heidi-

You look adorable and those colors are STUNNING! I too, would be curious about how much lighting you used. What are the yellow lights you have posted above?

ETA: I can see that the yellow lights are the Chinese lanterns. Fabulous!

lcboyko, things are moving along.  Erica from weddingsinplaya.com is my wedding cordinator, she's AWESOME! She's on top of things and returns my emails right away.  Wedding invitations were passed out at the end of Jan/Feb.  I wanted people to get the invitation around tax season so they can plan their tax returns for the wedding :)  I made message in a bottle invitations and everyone loved them.  BF and I personally delivered them to family and friends, the invitation made people more excited about the wedding.  I included a wedding website with all the information regarding the wedding, including hotel, travel agent, prices and places to visit, etc.  I used www.wedsite.com, great website, you pay for this site but I loved it compared to the other sites I saw.   We just booked our flight and hotel with our travel agent, I wanted to book early so family and friends can follow.  I figured I would use a travel agent because she offered payment options, this way people can book and lock in today rates and pay as they want. Also, people would feel comfortable using her or at least start researching their stay.  Ohhh and to my surprise, her prices were way better than expedia and other similar sites.   Last week I went dress shopping with mom, maid of honor (sister), brides maid (niece) and we found my dress.  I'm starting to  check things off the list, I try to only work on one thing at a time and then move on to the next.  Otherwise, I'm all over the place and don't seem to get it done. 

How is your planning going?

I'm not sure how I missed this, but congratulations Beee! I feel all over the place and my wedding is less than a month away! (Thank goodness for my planner.)

OMG…. Sounds like we have a lot in common. We’ll be celebrating 20 years together and the 8th is our anniversary.  We are comfortable how things are but now that we are older we start to think about the legal aspect of marriage. 

Love the colors you’ve chosen.  I’m going to let the girls choose them; my only request is that they get bright colors.  I haven’t had a chance to research the décor and food, soon as I work on that I will let you know.

No time set, yet. I contacted my wedding coordinator back in November and she mentioned that the sun goes down at 5:05.  I’m considering taking pictures at around 4:30 and taking advantage of the sunset.  Planning on having a late ceremony under the moonlight, it’s supposed to be a full moon that week (hopefully it won't be overcast or raining).  For music I’m having a miramba band (xylophone music) and a DJ.  I haven’t really worked out the details and times. 

I'll post the pictures of the invitation soon as i figure out how to do it. 

What DJ are you using? 

My niece helped make the invitations.  I also burned the edges of the invitation. 

20 years together.. congratulations! That is fantastic! :) I'm all for long relationships, it's nice to be with someone for a long time and know they can leave whenever they want to but they choose to stay - I think it's more of a commitment than marriage sometimes because there are way more ways out but you both choose to stay, even during rough times. But I am so excited to marry my SO, it'll be a wonderful day celebrating with our family and friend and I am sure you feel the same way.

Let me know for sure as I am there till November 19th and I can always lend you my stuff free of charge :) I am going to sell afterwards anyway, so it's no issue lending it out if you are getting married a few days after!  I've decided on the battery powered tealight, the remote control candles they sell at costco up here and white pier 1 lanterns.. trying to figure out what to do for the main centerpiece but I have some time

Yeah I saw that it sets quickly, I am trying to move our ceremony back a bit more if I can, I know it's not private at 4:00 but I am going to see if they will let us do it at 4 so we have time for pictures. That's awesome that it's going to be a full moon eh? I  was stoked when I saw that as he proposed under the full moon in Mexico and the date we chose has meaning to us and the fact that it was a full moon too? It seems perfect! It'll be wonderful having the moon light while the party is going on!

Marimba band will be awesome! We are getting a mariachi band to play for cocktail hour, so I'm excited for that, not telling many people so they are suprised when they walk out. DJ we are going with party planet, their prices are really good and I have heard great things about them!

LOVE the invites you made, that is so creative and awesome! Your guests must of loved them! I know I would if I got that!!!. We just made a website and sent out save the dates.. might send out invitations here, we really don't want to since all the info is on the website but who knows, we might have to do for the older folk. I'm going to make a pre-wedding pamphlet and do OOT bags, so we will see... trying to keep other things down and be cost effective a bit since we invited 115 people to our wedding LOL!! I'm pretty crafty though, so I am going to make a few things

Here are our save the dates.. as you can tell we are pretty goofy. Our friend who is a photographer took this picture a few years back at a friends wedding where I caught the bouquet and the fiance caught the garter.. it just seemed too perfect not to use!

HI Icboyko, sorry for the late response, I’ve been slammed at work.  It would be great if you don’t mind me using some of your things.  Soon as I know what I will use I will let you know so you can barrow them as well. 

Right now I’m in the process of figuring out the menu, soooo many options, I’m not sure if that’s good or bad…   We just booked the DJ, DJ Diego from Evolution Mix Audiovisuales. 

Ohhhh, I can’t see the picture, I guess I have to pay in order to see it L.  I would love to see it. I’ll PM my personal email and maybe you can send it to me there.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhiteside go_quote.gif

There hasn't been much movement for us. We have the big ticket's locked down ( Ceremony, Reception, DJ, etc) but haven't really done much more... We are starting to get back into planning since were only less than 5 months away! How about you? 

Well, I have my dress, planner, venue and one piece of entertainment (mariachi) locked down, and am about to lock down transportation and DJ for my guests in the next 24 hours or less. I am still pretty bummed that they have banned fire dancers and am considering other options.  No luck so far though.  What I really need to do is to send out my invites next week (don't judge me, I sent out save the dates awhile back!!!) and make some decisions on the menu.

Brownsugarbride, I'm bummed as well that we can't use fire dancers or the chinese heat lanterns.  What other  entertainment have you considered?

Brownsugarbride, I'm bummed as well that we can't use fire dancers or the chinese heat lanterns.  What other  entertainment have you considered?

Well, I kind of dropped the ball on the entertainment (LOL).  So far, I'm still doing the mariachi band for cocktail hour, and we have a churro cart coming as well as a pinata.  If we have enough time/budget, there is the possibility of getting an acrobat, although I have NO idea what that would look like! LOL  Another fun thing might be a caricature artist, depending on your crowd.

LOVE your pictures! Absolutely gorgeous.

If you don't mind me asking, how close to sunset did you have your wedding? Also, what were your food options and how much lighting did you use? Haha, I'll probably have lots of questions for you here! :)

Our wedding was scheduled for 5:00, I think we got started a few minutes late, and the official time of sunset that day was 5:46. So 46 minutes to answer your question exactly, but it stays light out a bit longer than the "official" sunset time. We also had a clear day and a full moon.

For food we chose from the Menu Buffet. For starters/appetizers we had guacamole (which was served early during cocktail hour), caprese salad, and ceviche (which was some of the best we had down there). They also threw in some fresh bread. For our main dishes we chose the pineapple barbecue ribs (so good!), four cheese fettuccine, and shrimp skewers. For sides we had mashed potatoes, fried plantains, and grilled mixed veggies. The food was just EXCELLENT. So fresh, so delicious, great presentation and service. Our guests had a variety of tastes (husband and his family are very plain and picky, my family are big meat eaters, we had at least 3 vegetarians, and I love seafood) so I tried to choose a menu with lots of variety and something all would enjoy, and everyone was raving about it! We brought in dessert from off site. I had mini pies/tarts from Chez Celine, a French bakery/cafe in town.

For lighting I hung 6-8 strings of globe lights (Christmas lights I got from Target), and a few strings of Chinese lanterns. Attached to the ceiling in the palapa were two clusters of cylindrical lamps (see the pics for a better idea of what I'm talking about), which were already there. We also had a DJ, who provided lighting for the dance floor. As mentioned above, it was a clear sky and full moon for us, too, which I'm sure also helped. For non-lighting decor, I had papel picado banners, and there was already white tulle draping hung. Check with Blue Venado to see what they will already have in the palapa.

Some people may not be able to open the pics I attached my previous post. In that case, you can check them out here: http://weddingsinplaya.com/heidi-and-adrian-blue-venado-beach-club-playa-del-carmen/

Heidi

Edited by gerte016
  • Like 1

Our wedding was scheduled for 5:00, I think we got started a few minutes late, and the official time of sunset that day was 5:46. So 46 minutes to answer your question exactly, but it stays light out a bit longer than the "official" sunset time. We also had a clear day and a full moon.

For food we chose from the Menu Buffet. For starters/appetizers we had guacamole (which was served early during cocktail hour), caprese salad, and ceviche (which was some of the best we had down there). They also threw in some fresh bread. For our main dishes we chose the pineapple barbecue ribs (so good!), four cheese fettuccine, and shrimp skewers. For sides we had mashed potatoes, fried plantains, and grilled mixed veggies. The food was just EXCELLENT. So fresh, so delicious, great presentation and service. Our guests had a variety of tastes (husband and his family are very plain and picky, my family are big meat eaters, we had at least 3 vegetarians, and I love seafood) so I tried to choose a menu with lots of variety and something all would enjoy, and everyone was raving about it! We brought in dessert from off site. I had mini pies/tarts from Chez Celine, a French bakery/cafe in town.

For lighting I hung 6-8 strings of globe lights (Christmas lights I got from Target), and a few strings of Chinese lanterns. Attached to the ceiling in the palapa were two clusters of cylindrical lamps (see the pics for a better idea of what I'm talking about), which were already there. We also had a DJ, who provided lighting for the dance floor. As mentioned above, it was a clear sky and full moon for us, too, which I'm sure also helped. For non-lighting decor, I had papel picado banners, and there was already white tulle draping hung. Check with Blue Venado to see what they will already have in the palapa.

Some people may not be able to open the pics I attached my previous post. In that case, you can check them out here: http://weddingsinplaya.com/heidi-and-adrian-blue-venado-beach-club-playa-del-carmen/

Heidi

This is extremely helpful. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1) Are these the lights you used from Target? If so, how long are they? (I'm trying to figure out how far they'll stretch across the palapa.

2) Did you have electric lights inside the Chinese lanterns or LED lights? If so, could you link to where you purchased the lighting sources for your lanterns?

This is extremely helpful. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1) Are these the lights you used from Target? If so, how long are they? (I'm trying to figure out how far they'll stretch across the palapa.

2) Did you have electric lights inside the Chinese lanterns or LED lights? If so, could you link to where you purchased the lighting sources for your lanterns?

These were the lights I got from target.com. Each strand measures 25 feet, and they can be plugged into each other to make them as long as needed.

http://www.target.com/p/philips-25ct-warm-white-led-smooth-g40-globe-string-christmas-lights/-/A-12285336#prodSlot=large_1_5&term=Globe+lights

As for the Chinese lanterns, my wedding planner kindly purchased them, the lights for inside, and assembled and hung them, so I don't have anymore info on them.

Hi Ladies,

I have been beating my head the past few months on what I want as far as a venue.  

Villas, hotels, private beach clubs.... and ultimately, my heart keeps going back to this place.   We happened to fall onto this place after a snorkeling adventure.   It's pretty much everything we want.

We are probably having a very small and intimate wedding, 10-15 people... if that.

My question to you ladies, is how did you get your guests to this place? 

I am pretty sick of all the "wedding packages" thrown together by hotels, they are one in all the same, as I imagine the buffets are.   If I can't do the blue venado, I am probably going to do a private villa wedding.  

I thank you for your time! 

Thank you so much for the reply, it is much appreciated :)

We are having our ceremony time close to sunset as well, and it will be a full-ish moon at that point, which I am looking forward to as it will provide a lot of natural light.

Your food choices sound amazing! I am going to share this with the FI tonight - I know we were considering the shrimp bisque for our starter but for everything else, we are still trying to figure it out. Everyone on here who has got married there has raved about the pasta, so I think that is going to have to be one of our choices lol! We are doing the sit down dinner, so a little different but I am sure we will figure it out.

LOVE the lights you picked out. We are bringing down quite a bit of stuff already, so we were talking about going to Walmart/Costco in PDC and seeing what we could find as far as lighting goes. However, I am picking up those starry lights to put around, as well having remote control led candles (they have them at Costco in august when they bring all the Christmas stuff in) it's good to see that the lights you brought provided enough light! We also have the white fabric for the roof of the palapa, which I am sure will look amazing :)

If you don't mind me asking another question, how did you arrange transportation and how far away were you from the venue? Our guests are staying at the GBP complex, so I know it's quite the hike (20 mins or so). Also, how long was your reception till? We are debating having ours till 1:00, having the DJ end then and then rounding up the drunks in that last hour we have the venue LOL.

lydiasusie, I'm still trying to figure out transportation however for 10-15 people my guess is you could just arrange a private transfer there and back, perhaps the other ladies on this thread have some of the names. That or just take a few cabs and then call for cabs, unsure of what would be more cost effective.

Edited by lcboyko