I haven't come across a list showing what documents need to be changed once your last name is changed. So I thought I will compile a list to my understanding:
1) Read up on Vital Statistics. Each province has different rules. I'm from BC so I'm posting the BC one here. http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/name/
2) Read up on Getting Married from Service Canada: http://www.serviceca.../marriage.shtml
3) Order the marriage certificate - can be ordered online, in-person or by mail: http://www.vs.gov.bc...ertificate.html
4) Once the marriage certificate is received, you can start changing your name:
- Driverâ€™s license
- Provincial Health Card - http://www.health.go...n/carecard.html
***New BC Care Card starting in Feb 2013*** - BC is introducing the new Care Card that is both driver's license and Care Card
- Vehicle insurance
- SIN Card â€“ It takes about two weeks to process (http://www.serviceca...apply/how.shtml).
- Passport â€“ http://www.pptc.gc.c...g=eng&id=q04415
- Canada Revenue Agency (http://www.cra-arc.g...m_chng-eng.html) SIN number will be required when you phone.
- Bank â€“ Take your original marriage certificate into your bank to change your name on all accounts. If you have credit cards with them, complete all changes at once.
- Credit Cards â€“ Call the number on the back of your card.
- Place of Employment
- House or Tenants Insurance
- Utility Companies
- Home and Cell Phone Company
- Club Memberships - Costco, gym, grocery store cards, community centres, etcâ€¦
- Others - Email signatures, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc.
Hope this helps!