Providing guests with an excursion

Hello,

My FI and I are treating everyone coming to our wedding to a complimentary group excursion to Xel-ha to thank them for spending their time and money (!) on joining us at the Gran Bahia Principe in Nov. 2013.

Has anyone else done this? All the quotes I've received are for $107pp and the companies say this is already a discount. Anyone had luck with a better discount for large groups? Anyone have advice on the logistics of getting 50ish people on an excursion? Paying for just the entrance fee and taking taxis to Xel-ha will no doubt be a bit cheaper, but perhaps not at the price of my sanity....

Thanks!

That is such a great idea. Xel-ha was amazing, what a great place to bring your guests, you'll have a lot of fun! Did you work with a travel agent? Sometimes they will take care of all of the arrangements for you! We booked a Catamaran in Jamaica and our travel agent handled the transportation and the tickets for the cruise. Just a thought - good luck!

I don't have any advice to share yet, but I'm looking at some excursions as well as a gift for guests as well.  I know you can do a Catamaran Cruise out of Puerto Adventuras for up to 50 or 60 people.  I'm looking at that and also trip to the Tulum ruins.  I am hoping Tulum could be easy because it would just be a bus, entrance fees and a guide.  I was thinking the bus could drop people off at either the resort after or another location if the wish and people could make their own way back.

I've just started and it seems like no matter what an excursion costs about $100 a person.  I guess no one wants to lower their fees because people keep paying the high fees. 

Love the idea of treating everyone to a tour, so many great things to see in the Riviera Maya! With the XelHa trip, transportation should be included, I would contact their call center directly and ask about logistics or ask to speak with someone in group sales. You'll often do better with direct phone communication than emails. :)

Most tours do run about $100 USD per head (or more). Even with a discount. You could try contacting some of the "lesser known" places directly and try to make a deal, I would check out Rio Secreto (amazing place!), Hidden Worlds, Aktunchen, Aventuras Mayas (some great tours with them). 

As the pp poster said, there are ways to rent transportation and check out Akumal, Tulum, etc..

Good luck!

Originally Posted by JDubya View Post

Hello,

My FI and I are treating everyone coming to our wedding to a complimentary group excursion to Xel-ha to thank them for spending their time and money (!) on joining us at the Gran Bahia Principe in Nov. 2013.

Has anyone else done this? All the quotes I've received are for $107pp and the companies say this is already a discount. Anyone had luck with a better discount for large groups? Anyone have advice on the logistics of getting 50ish people on an excursion? Paying for just the entrance fee and taking taxis to Xel-ha will no doubt be a bit cheaper, but perhaps not at the price of my sanity....

Thanks!

Dear JDubya,

We do arrange all the excursions from most of our clients and because of that we have found great deals for example:

Xel-Ha for 99 usd. per person with food, beverages and trasnportation from Bahia Principe to Xel-Ha included.  If you are looking for the entrance it will be cheaper.

There is another tour that I love that is "Tulum Xtreme" from Aventuras Mayas that is amazing because you have zip lines, rappel, cenotes and a guiaded visit to the archeological ruins in Tulum.  Transportation, food and beverages included for 86 usd. per person.

Here are the testimonials in trip advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.mx/ShowUserReviews-g150812-d872614-r111861588-Aventuras_Mayas-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

If you are interested please contact me at info@yazmindelamora.com

Best Regards!

$99 vs 107 sounds good!

I have been to this area many times and so we've been to most ruins and on most of the major tours. We've also been to Akumal Bay which we love, and will encourage our guests to visit while we are there. I want it to be totally free for our guests, and the logistics of getting 60 people there and renting their equipment freaks me out :) But that was for sure my first thought!

We picked Xel-ha as it has something that appeals to everyone, no matter what their interests are (I will never get my mother to zip-line on an adventure tour, haha!), ages or physical abilities. We have some guests coming with mobility issues and also needed something that they could participate in as well. For example, one of the young guests with severe arthritis would find Rio Secreto difficult (and would pay for it after) but she will love beaching it and lazily snorkelling at Xel-ha. We also have three kids coming who find ruins boring. If anybody is thinking of an excursion for their guests, I can't recommend it enough! Just get them in the door and set them free...

Thanks everybody for your input! I will call my travel agent (hadn't thought of this...duh) and I'll phone people directly. You might be right about getting a better deal on the phone. Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...