Wedding Travel agent/coordinator help!

From the general feel I have from other brides on this site, it seems like having a travel agent is a smart plan. someone who you can refer guests to for booking, can negotiate a lower price (my main motive) and that can assume some of the liability of booking as a company. I'm still 2-3 years out from the wedding, and have started to stick my toe in the water as far as finding a travel agent. I'm in North san Diego county and asked for a 2014 summer quote from destination wedding and travel in Oceanside, Ca and found the response extemely lack-luster. I felt I gave a ton of options ("I would like to explore "shoulder seasons" different cities in Jamaica and multiple resorts (ai's) all in the sake of finding the best price for my travelling family" ) and got back only a quote for the resort I had mentioned first. given, the quote was detailed, I just imaged my travel agent would work with me a bit more and do some leg work to find the best options, as I feel I expressed I was very open to other things in order to save money.i even asked them to include any other resorts they suggest. I could have called and gotten the quote they sent myself basically. Anyone have any advice, referrals for the area or insight in general? looking for someone to volley ideas with me, go the extra step with research and overall help me out! this might match the description of a coordinator, but I'm not quite sure? I would love any knowledge anyone has on the subject!!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by kwells View Post

From the general feel I have from other brides on this site, it seems like having a travel agent is a smart plan. someone who you can refer guests to for booking, can negotiate a lower price (my main motive) and that can assume some of the liability of booking as a company. I'm still 2-3 years out from the wedding, and have started to stick my toe in the water as far as finding a travel agent. I'm in North san Diego county and asked for a 2014 summer quote from destination wedding and travel in Oceanside, Ca and found the response extemely lack-luster. I felt I gave a ton of options ("I would like to explore "shoulder seasons" different cities in Jamaica and multiple resorts (ai's) all in the sake of finding the best price for my travelling family" ) and got back only a quote for the resort I had mentioned first. given, the quote was detailed, I just imaged my travel agent would work with me a bit more and do some leg work to find the best options, as I feel I expressed I was very open to other things in order to save money.i even asked them to include any other resorts they suggest. I could have called and gotten the quote they sent myself basically. Anyone have any advice, referrals for the area or insight in general? looking for someone to volley ideas with me, go the extra step with research and overall help me out! this might match the description of a coordinator, but I'm not quite sure? I would love any knowledge anyone has on the subject!!

Hi there! Speaking from experience I can definitely recommend using a travel agent. That way, they can deal with negotiating the group rate, handling bookings for your guests, arranging for transfers to/from the airport, etc. and you can focus on just planning the wedding. You can check the forums for TA suggestions, but I can personally recommend Wright Travel Agency. They are owned and run by the owner/creator of BDW so if you like BDW, you'll like Wright! I got married in Jamaica and worked with Babs at Wright Travel. She specializes in the Carribbean and I'm sure she'd be able to help you narrow down your choices, get you some rates, etc. Try contacting them and see if they can help you! Info below. And whatever you do, good luck!!

Travel agent contact form: http://wrighttravelagency.com/inquiry/

Wright Travel website: http://www.wrighttravelagency.com/

Wright Travel Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WrightTravelAgency

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much!! SUPER helpful!!!! I definately will look into Wright Travel. Just feel like I would be able to calm down if guests can have someone to contact as far as travel that IS NOT ME!!! lol
I'm using them as well. Patty got me all the info I needed within 48 hrs. Info and prices on 4 resorts. I don't want to deal with my guests calling me about travel stuff on top of everything else