So my fiance and I have been talking everything over and debating whether or not we should have a cocktail hour. Our budget is not the biggest and the charges per person add up..QUICKLY. Since we are having the wedding at an AI, isn't it kind of dumb to pay for alcohol that guests can easily go to the nearby bars for? 

I do worry about the appetizer portion of it though. I just don't know what to do. The costs are getting to be so much, and I don't want to have to cut my already small guest list even more! Suggestions?

Originally Posted by lorcas View Post

So my fiance and I have been talking everything over and debating whether or not we should have a cocktail hour. Our budget is not the biggest and the charges per person add up..QUICKLY. Since we are having the wedding at an AI, isn't it kind of dumb to pay for alcohol that guests can easily go to the nearby bars for? 

I do worry about the appetizer portion of it though. I just don't know what to do. The costs are getting to be so much, and I don't want to have to cut my already small guest list even more! Suggestions?

Are you paying for a private bartender or just to have drinks? If I recall correctly, the former is much more pricey than just having the waiters run to the bar to get drinks for you.

Originally Posted by brownsugarbride View Post

Are you paying for a private bartender or just to have drinks? If I recall correctly, the former is much more pricey than just having the waiters run to the bar to get drinks for you.

I believe it's waiters. I'll have to double check on that. Good point!

At our resort (Iberostar Rose Hall Suites) you pay per person per hour for BOTH alcohol AND food. I think we're going to have our guests go to a location that is free and close to a bar where the drinks are free and then just pay for a few appetizers for an hour. Another way to reduce costs is to do a shorter cocktail hour, like do a 1/2 hour instead of the full hour. Hope that helps :)

I think it would totally be OK to direct guests to one of the many hotel bars for drinks. They could get a snack too if they are so inclined. If it saves you money and would prevent you from having to cut your guest list I say go for it! I doubt any of your guests will be upset that there isn't an "official" cocktail hour. They are on vacation and at an AI, so it shouldn't be a huge deal for them to entertain themselves for a bit while you take photos!

Originally Posted by alexisinjamaica View Post

I think it would totally be OK to direct guests to one of the many hotel bars for drinks. They could get a snack too if they are so inclined. If it saves you money and would prevent you from having to cut your guest list I say go for it! I doubt any of your guests will be upset that there isn't an "official" cocktail hour. They are on vacation and at an AI, so it shouldn't be a huge deal for them to entertain themselves for a bit while you take photos!

That's exactly what I was thinking. I am really leaning towards cutting the cocktail out altogether. Less of a hassle. I might be having my ceremony and reception in the same place so I think it would give a 2 hour break in between for people to freshen up, grab a drink at the many bars, or even a bite to eat, maybe relax on the beach or by the pool; possibilities are endless really lol. And also if I were a guest and I just happened to have been a little sweaty under the sun during the ceremony, I think it would be nice to have time to freshen up in my room before the reception, you know? 

Originally Posted by ChelseaCat802 View Post

At our resort (Iberostar Rose Hall Suites) you pay per person per hour for BOTH alcohol AND food. I think we're going to have our guests go to a location that is free and close to a bar where the drinks are free and then just pay for a few appetizers for an hour. Another way to reduce costs is to do a shorter cocktail hour, like do a 1/2 hour instead of the full hour. Hope that helps :)

Good point! I'll ask about the shorter time. Thanks!

Originally Posted by brownsugarbride View Post

I hear you on the cocktail hour costs!  I'm going to be having my wedding off-site, and I really don't want to pay for a 5-hour open bar, especially given that a decent minority of folks won't be drinking in the first place!

My wedding planning friend told me that during high wedding season they would charge for alcohol even if the couple didn't want it.They would pay even if no one was drinking. Absurd! She's a wedding planner in Pennsylvania, which I found surprising that something like that was done, but she says it's a very common thing. UGH haha

We aren't having a cocktail hour. We are using the "non-traditional wedding" excuse to cut out a lot of things. Along with cutting the cocktail hour we are only having a three hour reception-no extensions. Our families seem to be okay with the "non-traditional" aspects so far. It probably helps if people know ahead of time. ;)