Photo

Hotel Acanto--good base for site visit to Riviera Maya?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brownsugarbride

brownsugarbride
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

I have been looking for a not-too-expensive hotel in Riviera Maya (preferably Playa del Carmen) to serve as home base as I check out possible wedding venues.  Has anyone stayed here?  Is it centrally located enough to make getting meals affordable, or would we be better off at an all-inclusive?

#2 Ceelou

Ceelou
    • 43 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hi,

Acanto is right in the heart of downtown, so yes, it is a good base if you want to experience all the amazing things Playa has to offer while doing your site visits. 

I would check reviews to make sure noise isn't an issue as you will be fairly close to 12th, the big nightclub scene (think: BOOM BOOM BOOM until 5am...)

There are some wonderful boutique hotels that include breakfast a little further north, where, in my opinion, some of the better restaurants and beaches are. It's also a "newer" part of town so less vendors and souvenir shop type stores.

You may want to check out Hotel Aventura Mexicana or La Tortuga. Both really nice, clean, comfortable and charming and still right in the heart of town. I've stayed at both and loved them.

Good luck!

#3 brownsugarbride

brownsugarbride
      • 599 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hi, Acanto is right in the heart of downtown, so yes, it is a good base if you want to experience all the amazing things Playa has to offer while doing your site visits.  I would check reviews to make sure noise isn't an issue as you will be fairly close to 12th, the big nightclub scene (think: BOOM BOOM BOOM until 5am...) There are some wonderful boutique hotels that include breakfast a little further north, where, in my opinion, some of the better restaurants and beaches are. It's also a "newer" part of town so less vendors and souvenir shop type stores. You may want to check out Hotel Aventura Mexicana or La Tortuga. Both really nice, clean, comfortable and charming and still right in the heart of town. I've stayed at both and loved them. Good luck!

Thanks Ceelou! There was a groupon or Living Social deal today for $389 for three nights (two adults) and that sounded like a great deal to me. I will definitely check out the other suggestions as well.

#4 Ceelou

Ceelou
        • 43 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Worth checking out! Both of the recommendations are normally under $100 a night for 2 adults.

I usually go on Orbitz and sort by best value or lowest price then look the ones I think look good up on Tripadvisor. We've been to Playa a dozen times, feel free to ask if you have any questions!

#5 SweetFire

SweetFire
          • Vendor
          • 330 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hi Ladies,

Staying in town is the PERFECT location for site visits as well as getting to know the area.  There are a ton of boutique style hotels in the area that are well under $100 USD per night and have loads of amazing restaurants around! I am a little partial to the North end myself as I live and work here so here are a few recommendations for small hotels that are cozy, clean, comfy, and affordable!

The Bric (*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users