Photo

Trying on Engagement Rings at home?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zoeclairez

zoeclairez
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

So my best friend (male) is going to propose soon and he is asking for advice on how to do the engagement ring shopping. He wants to keep it a surprise and not take her shopping but still wants her to pick a ring. 

He asked me about one of those new services where the engagement ring company ships you a number of rings and then you propose with all of them in one large box. The bride-to-be gets to then try on her favorite, and then he would ship the rest back. 

Has anybody tried this? it is lots of fun or a huge hassle? What is your experience/opinion??

Thanks!!!

#2 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
    • 3,074 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Welcome to to our forum community zoeclairez !!! it's a great place for excellent info + suggestions, so hope you find all the helpful advice you're looking for!

Best of luck with helping your friend plan the perfect plan for "popping the question" !!! Cheers :)

team MTM asst, Lynda :)

MTM%20Logo%202016_zps4tzm05my.png

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                          100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

#3 AnaSteele58

AnaSteele58
      • 381 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

So my best friend (male) is going to propose soon and he is asking for advice on how to do the engagement ring shopping. He wants to keep it a surprise and not take her shopping but still wants her to pick a ring.  He asked me about one of those new services where the engagement ring company ships you a number of rings and then you propose with all of them in one large box. The bride-to-be gets to then try on her favorite, and then he would ship the rest back.  Has anybody tried this? it is lots of fun or a huge hassle? What is your experience/opinion?? Thanks!!!

I can't say that I've heard of a service like this. Sounds interesting. Do you mind sharing the company's contact info/website? :) Thanks!

#4 alyssaw

alyssaw
        • Huddler
        • 53 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Has he spoke to his girlfriend about what rings she may like?  I think he can at least get an idea of the type of ring she is looking for without actually taking her shopping.  Or, have someone (maybe you or a good girlfriend of the bride-to-be) try and ask her what she likes.  Does she have any sisters? I'm sure they might have an idea of what she likes or could at least get it out of her without being too obvious.

I think the idea you mentioned is interesting but I'm personally not a huge fan.  Does he have to pick the rings out online?  I would highly recommend that he sees the ring in person so that he can see exactly what it looks like, see the color in person, look for any imperfections, etc.  

Another option is for him to at least pick the diamond and ask the jeweler to put it on a standard setting.  He can then tell his fiance that they will go and pick out the band together.  One of my friends did this and it worked out great!

Good luck to your friend!  Either way, I'm sure they'll have a beautiful engagement, wedding, and happily ever after :)

#5 ucfjennifer

ucfjennifer
          • 185 posts
          • Wedding Date:April 26, 2014
          • Wedding Location:Cozumel, MX
          • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

I'm torn on this one! How many rings do they send? I like letting her have input for sure, but popping the big question and having to pick a ring right then would be a bit much for me. On the other hand, if he wants it to be a surprise, that is an excellent option! When we started talking marriage, my fianc© was determined to pick out my ring on his own. He felt the whole thing should be a surprise, but I don't wear much jewelry, so I really wanted to go with him to pick it out and see what felt natural for me. We researched online and I picked what I thought I liked. We decided to go to the jeweler and we each got to pick our favorites and also veto ones we didn't like. Surprisingly, none of the selected options were the style we liked online. He went back later and selected the one he liked best and it ended up being one he originally selected and I now love!

#6 kiralynn22

kiralynn22
          • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

I work in the luxury jewelry industry. It doesn't seem special that someone would propose with a bunch of rings rather than the one she'll have forever!

#7 cdnbanker

cdnbanker
            • 195 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

I agree

#8 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
              • 955 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

I would suggest that he just by the diamond and propose with that.  Then they can go shopping together for the setting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users