Packing Anxiety

Melissa14

With 85 days until my wedding (thank you theknot.com for reminding me) I am having major packing anxiety. As I gather all the OOT bag stuff and decorations in a designated WEDDING STUFF ONLY AREA under my staircase I cannot help but panic. Apparently Alaska Airlines charges $20 for every single bag that is checked in. I guess that isn't so bad but I really don't want to carry/worry about a million bags all the way to Mexico.  plane.gif

I am totally being dramatic because I might not need a million bags but then what if I do. What if I forget something like THE RINGS! smile35.gif

Is this normal anxiety? I have a very lengthy packing list but will that help!? Someone help me I am freaking out!sick.gif

Totally normal Melissa14!! Try spreading out some of the items between your bridal party (isn't that what they are there for?!) to lower the number of additional bags you will have to bring. I'll share with you the packing list that we give to our clients as well so you can cross reference!

Happy Planning!

Carry-on items

• Wedding dress. Don't trust your dress to checked luggage. Most airplanes have coat closets and will allow travelers to hang garment bags. Call ahead, let them know you will be bringing a dress and ask if the airline will let you hang your dress in the closet
  • Groomâ€s wedding outfit (tux, suit, shorts, etc.)
  • All original and notarized documents--including air tickets, birth certificates, passports, hotel reservation confirmation, medical/trip insurance, etc.
  • Two sets of photocopies of all of the above documents
  • Your credit cards and ATM cards
  • Phone numbers for your doctor, house/pet sitter and credit card companies (in case your cards are lost or stolen)
  • Prescription medicine (in the original bottle)
  • Wedding rings
  • Wedding vows
  • Your veil
  • Bridal jewelry
  • A change of clothes for the first day (just in case), including a bathing suit
  • Copies of all contracts and vendor contact sheets

Checked items

Personal

• Special hosiery or undergarments
  • Wedding night sleepwear
  • A variety of shoes (flip flops, heels, running shoes/walking shoes, etc.)
  • Tiara or headpiece
  • Garter
  • Sunglasses
  • A good sun-protective hat
  • Several bathing suits (remember a strapless bikini or suit if you donâ€t want unruly tan lines)
  • A beach cover-up
  • Planned outfits for special events like a welcome dinner, rehearsal dinner or farewell brunch
  • A selection of mix and match day and nighttime outfits that make you look your best, yet are lightweight, comfortable and cool (skits, capris, shorts, tees, tank tops, etc.). Solid colors work well as do non-wrinkling fabrics
  • A cardigan/jacket for night time
  • Exercise clothes and running shoes
  • A purse/evening bag
  • A beach bag
  • A daypack (for outings, trips)
  • A Spanish/Creole phrasebook
  • Good books and magazines for beach reading

Toiletries and Cosmetics

• Wedding make-up
  • High-SPF waterproof sunscreen
  • After-sun lotion or aloe vera gel
  • Insect repellant
  • Mini medical kit: pain killers, antacid tabs, anti-nausea pills, etc. Itâ€s best to be prepared for anything
  • Ample toiletries (donâ€t count on the resort having what you want): toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant (clear deodorant for the wedding day), cosmetics, makeup remover,
  • cotton swabs, Q-tips, shampoo & conditioner, moisturizer, mouthwash, comb & brush, nail
  • clippers, shaving cream, razors, hair dryer, tampons/pads, etc.
  • Hair dryer/straightener
  • Curling iron/curlers

Wedding Things

• Any special personal touches youâ€d like to add to the ceremony
  • Gifts for wedding party/family members
  • A journal or diary (so you donâ€t forget the experience)
  • Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue
  • A good camera (to capture the moments) and film (if youâ€re not digital)
  • Welcome bags & contents including weekend itineraries
  • CDs/music
  • Cake topper
  • Printed materials: menus, programs, seating cards, signage
  • Table decorations (disposable cameras, candles, etc.)
  • Guest book & pens
  • Ceremony accessories (unity candle, Ketubah, ring-bearer pillow, etc.)
  • Thank-you notes/gifts to vendors (including tip envelopes)
  • Fix-it kit: Extras of all materials used to make favors, welcome bags, etc.
  • Your wedding planning folder with all the details of your arrangements
  • Like 1

Originally Posted by Jessica4LUXE View Post

Totally normal Melissa14!! Try spreading out some of the items between your bridal party (isn't that what they are there for?!) to lower the number of additional bags you will have to bring. I'll share with you the packing list that we give to our clients as well so you can cross reference!

Happy Planning!

Carry-on items

• Wedding dress. Don't trust your dress to checked luggage. Most airplanes have coat closets and will allow travelers to hang garment bags. Call ahead, let them know you will be bringing a dress and ask if the airline will let you hang your dress in the closet
  • Groomâ€s wedding outfit (tux, suit, shorts, etc.)
  • All original and notarized documents--including air tickets, birth certificates, passports, hotel reservation confirmation, medical/trip insurance, etc.
  • Two sets of photocopies of all of the above documents
  • Your credit cards and ATM cards
  • Phone numbers for your doctor, house/pet sitter and credit card companies (in case your cards are lost or stolen)
  • Prescription medicine (in the original bottle)
  • Wedding rings
  • Wedding vows
  • Your veil
  • Bridal jewelry
  • A change of clothes for the first day (just in case), including a bathing suit
  • Copies of all contracts and vendor contact sheets

Checked items

Personal

• Special hosiery or undergarments
  • Wedding night sleepwear
  • A variety of shoes (flip flops, heels, running shoes/walking shoes, etc.)
  • Tiara or headpiece
  • Garter
  • Sunglasses
  • A good sun-protective hat
  • Several bathing suits (remember a strapless bikini or suit if you donâ€t want unruly tan lines)
  • A beach cover-up
  • Planned outfits for special events like a welcome dinner, rehearsal dinner or farewell brunch
  • A selection of mix and match day and nighttime outfits that make you look your best, yet are lightweight, comfortable and cool (skits, capris, shorts, tees, tank tops, etc.). Solid colors work well as do non-wrinkling fabrics
  • A cardigan/jacket for night time
  • Exercise clothes and running shoes
  • A purse/evening bag
  • A beach bag
  • A daypack (for outings, trips)
  • A Spanish/Creole phrasebook
  • Good books and magazines for beach reading

Toiletries and Cosmetics

• Wedding make-up
  • High-SPF waterproof sunscreen
  • After-sun lotion or aloe vera gel
  • Insect repellant
  • Mini medical kit: pain killers, antacid tabs, anti-nausea pills, etc. Itâ€s best to be prepared for anything
  • Ample toiletries (donâ€t count on the resort having what you want): toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant (clear deodorant for the wedding day), cosmetics, makeup remover,
  • cotton swabs, Q-tips, shampoo & conditioner, moisturizer, mouthwash, comb & brush, nail
  • clippers, shaving cream, razors, hair dryer, tampons/pads, etc.
  • Hair dryer/straightener
  • Curling iron/curlers

Wedding Things

• Any special personal touches youâ€d like to add to the ceremony
  • Gifts for wedding party/family members
  • A journal or diary (so you donâ€t forget the experience)
  • Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue
  • A good camera (to capture the moments) and film (if youâ€re not digital)
  • Welcome bags & contents including weekend itineraries
  • CDs/music
  • Cake topper
  • Printed materials: menus, programs, seating cards, signage
  • Table decorations (disposable cameras, candles, etc.)
  • Guest book & pens
  • Ceremony accessories (unity candle, Ketubah, ring-bearer pillow, etc.)
  • Thank-you notes/gifts to vendors (including tip envelopes)
  • Fix-it kit: Extras of all materials used to make favors, welcome bags, etc.
  • Your wedding planning folder with all the details of your arrangements

Great List. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

We just came back from our honeymoon a few days ago. Getting there and even back wasn't super easy but we certainly made it through. Here are my suggestions from learnings-

The zipper on my David's Bridal dress bag broke after flight #1. This resulted in all kinds of trauma including my bonked head and a lost veil. I'm not sure how often this happens, but maybe bring some bobby pins in your carry on to pin it back together if this happens, or maybe even a cheap backup dress bag. You don't want your dress dragging the floor, or items like your veil falling out of the bag, plus you don't want your groom to see the dress!

Sand will get you pulled over going through security. I tried to bring my sand ceremony back in my carry on. It was too precious to get broke. But when security ran the test on the substance to see what it was they messed up the look of the sand, it had a beautiful layering and now that is gone. I will have to buy more sand and re-pour it to get the colors to blend again like they should. I should have had them scoop it from the top, but mostly security doesn't care. I still wouldn't change putting it in my carry on. I can handle re-pouring sand I cant handle it breaking.

Bring bubble wrap for the return trip and wrap anything that can break very well both there and back. They throw the bags around!

Originally Posted by MSPOKRAN View Post

We just came back from our honeymoon a few days ago. Getting there and even back wasn't super easy but we certainly made it through. Here are my suggestions from learnings-

The zipper on my David's Bridal dress bag broke after flight #1. This resulted in all kinds of trauma including my bonked head and a lost veil. I'm not sure how often this happens, but maybe bring some bobby pins in your carry on to pin it back together if this happens, or maybe even a cheap backup dress bag. You don't want your dress dragging the floor, or items like your veil falling out of the bag, plus you don't want your groom to see the dress!

Sand will get you pulled over going through security. I tried to bring my sand ceremony back in my carry on. It was too precious to get broke. But when security ran the test on the substance to see what it was they messed up the look of the sand, it had a beautiful layering and now that is gone. I will have to buy more sand and re-pour it to get the colors to blend again like they should. I should have had them scoop it from the top, but mostly security doesn't care. I still wouldn't change putting it in my carry on. I can handle re-pouring sand I cant handle it breaking.

Bring bubble wrap for the return trip and wrap anything that can break very well both there and back. They throw the bags around!

OMG! I've been so stressed about my stupid sand ceremony frame. I have this whole thing set up where everyone will pour the sand at the bottom of our frame and then we will pour a layer of two colors on top and I have no clue how I am going to get that back home without breaking it. Also, because I don't want to pay $50 for an ugly sand frame I am making my own from a simple shadow box frame and it isn't completely sealed all the way. Yikes!