Sign in to follow this  
gresley

Letting bridesmaids pick their own dresses

Hi all,

Did anyone just give their bridesmaids a color, and let them pick their own dress? I don't really care what people wear too much, and don't want to make my BM commit to an expensive dress they won't wear very much?

What do you girls think? Did anyone do this?

One of my bridesmaids was just in a different wedding where the bride did let the girls pick their own dress, it just had to be in a certain color. The bride said it was a nightmare. Between making sure that all the fabrics went together, the colors kinda matched, length of dresses all looked okay, etc etc etc - she said if she could do it over again - she would have picked out a dress style for everyone and then let them pick the color of that style. Or just make everyone wear the same thing.

I felt the same way you do, and all three of my BMs told me that they wouldn't have accepted if they weren't ready for the expense. My girls are great - and I bet yours will understand too :) Good luck!

i picked the color i liked from davids bridal, and picked the fabric and said knee length or shorter (we will be in hot jamaica) and let them pick a dress they liked, my group is 7 people with way different body types, and i wanted everyone to feel beautiful!

I actually let my future step daughter pick the color and the girls pick their dresses..... sounds crazy right!  I loved a different color but I wanted her to feel important and she did chose a beautiful color....  Also I have been a bridesmaid so many times and loved when we chose as a  group our dress, the bride just gave us the color.

My sister is my maid of honor and actually asked me if I was going to get back at her for the dress she chose ( I hated her dress and asked to pick a different one, she didn't budge )   I told her, I just want you to be comfortable!  Just choose something light and flowy!....Now she is pregnant....lol and definitely loving her own choice

Originally Posted by Kel123073 View Post

I actually let my future step daughter pick the color and the girls pick their dresses..... sounds crazy right!  I loved a different color but I wanted her to feel important and she did chose a beautiful color....  Also I have been a bridesmaid so many times and loved when we chose as a  group our dress, the bride just gave us the color.

My sister is my maid of honor and actually asked me if I was going to get back at her for the dress she chose ( I hated her dress and asked to pick a different one, she didn't budge )   I told her, I just want you to be comfortable!  Just choose something light and flowy!....Now she is pregnant....lol and definitely loving her own choice

That is so neat that you let your future step daughter pick the color. Gave me goosebumps!! It's a great way to get her involved. It is obvious you don't have a "bridezilla" bone in you :)

Originally Posted by gresley View Post

Hi all,

Did anyone just give their bridesmaids a color, and let them pick their own dress? I don't really care what people wear too much, and don't want to make my BM commit to an expensive dress they won't wear very much?

What do you girls think? Did anyone do this?

I am doing the same thing. I originally wasn't even choosing a colour, but was just letting them wear whatever they wanted. Now I have advised what colour flowers I am using, and am letting them choose whatever kind of dress from there. I am sure I will be more helpful as the timing gets closer, but I honestly just didn't care at all what they wore. I just wanted it to be something they would wear again, that they would be comfortable in, and that reflected their personality.

Originally Posted by Jenny2014 View Post

I am doing the same thing. I originally wasn't even choosing a colour, but was just letting them wear whatever they wanted. Now I have advised what colour flowers I am using, and am letting them choose whatever kind of dress from there. I am sure I will be more helpful as the timing gets closer, but I honestly just didn't care at all what they wore. I just wanted it to be something they would wear again, that they would be comfortable in, and that reflected their personality.

:) that's awesome. Those are all great reasons!

IGot A Few Color Paint Swatches From Home Depot And Gave Them TO My Bridesmaids So They Have An IDea Of The Color Family I Like (Light Peach/Light Coral)....I Also Prefer Long Dresses...The Rest Is Up To Them To Get A Style They Like :) P.s. Sorry, Dont Know Why Each Word Gets Capitalized When I Post From My Phone..

@tristanc... Aww thanks it's funny because I didn't think it was that big a deal but a lot of friends and family were like omg u r letting her pick? @umassrn007 luv the swatches from Home Depot idea!!! Great color choice also!!