Letting bridesmaids pick their own dresses

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gresley

gresley
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi all,

Did anyone just give their bridesmaids a color, and let them pick their own dress? I don't really care what people wear too much, and don't want to make my BM commit to an expensive dress they won't wear very much?

What do you girls think? Did anyone do this?

#2 tristanc

tristanc
    • 37 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

One of my bridesmaids was just in a different wedding where the bride did let the girls pick their own dress, it just had to be in a certain color. The bride said it was a nightmare. Between making sure that all the fabrics went together, the colors kinda matched, length of dresses all looked okay, etc etc etc - she said if she could do it over again - she would have picked out a dress style for everyone and then let them pick the color of that style. Or just make everyone wear the same thing.

I felt the same way you do, and all three of my BMs told me that they wouldn't have accepted if they weren't ready for the expense. My girls are great - and I bet yours will understand too :) Good luck!

#3 SHANNON4

SHANNON4
      • 38 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

i picked the color i liked from davids bridal, and picked the fabric and said knee length or shorter (we will be in hot jamaica) and let them pick a dress they liked, my group is 7 people with way different body types, and i wanted everyone to feel beautiful!

#4 Kel123073

Kel123073
        • Site Supporter
        • 189 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

I actually let my future step daughter pick the color and the girls pick their dresses..... sounds crazy right!  I loved a different color but I wanted her to feel important and she did chose a beautiful color....  Also I have been a bridesmaid so many times and loved when we chose as a  group our dress, the bride just gave us the color.

My sister is my maid of honor and actually asked me if I was going to get back at her for the dress she chose ( I hated her dress and asked to pick a different one, she didn't budge )   I told her, I just want you to be comfortable!  Just choose something light and flowy!....Now she is pregnant....lol and definitely loving her own choice

#5 gresley

gresley
          • 164 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

#6 tristanc

tristanc
            • 37 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kel123073 

I actually let my future step daughter pick the color and the girls pick their dresses..... sounds crazy right!  I loved a different color but I wanted her to feel important and she did chose a beautiful color....  Also I have been a bridesmaid so many times and loved when we chose as a  group our dress, the bride just gave us the color.

My sister is my maid of honor and actually asked me if I was going to get back at her for the dress she chose ( I hated her dress and asked to pick a different one, she didn't budge )   I told her, I just want you to be comfortable!  Just choose something light and flowy!....Now she is pregnant....lol and definitely loving her own choice

That is so neat that you let your future step daughter pick the color. Gave me goosebumps!! It's a great way to get her involved. It is obvious you don't have a "bridezilla" bone in you :)

#7 Jenny2014

Jenny2014
              • 503 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by gresley 

Hi all,

Did anyone just give their bridesmaids a color, and let them pick their own dress? I don't really care what people wear too much, and don't want to make my BM commit to an expensive dress they won't wear very much?

What do you girls think? Did anyone do this?

I am doing the same thing. I originally wasn't even choosing a colour, but was just letting them wear whatever they wanted. Now I have advised what colour flowers I am using, and am letting them choose whatever kind of dress from there. I am sure I will be more helpful as the timing gets closer, but I honestly just didn't care at all what they wore. I just wanted it to be something they would wear again, that they would be comfortable in, and that reflected their personality.

#8 gresley

gresley
                • 164 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jenny2014 

I am doing the same thing. I originally wasn't even choosing a colour, but was just letting them wear whatever they wanted. Now I have advised what colour flowers I am using, and am letting them choose whatever kind of dress from there. I am sure I will be more helpful as the timing gets closer, but I honestly just didn't care at all what they wore. I just wanted it to be something they would wear again, that they would be comfortable in, and that reflected their personality.

:) that's awesome. Those are all great reasons!

#9 UMassRN007

UMassRN007
                  • 230 posts
                  • Wedding Date:January 18, 2014
                  • Wedding Location:Now Jade
                  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

IGot A Few Color Paint Swatches From Home Depot And Gave Them TO My Bridesmaids So They Have An IDea Of The Color Family I Like (Light Peach/Light Coral)....I Also Prefer Long Dresses...The Rest Is Up To Them To Get A Style They Like :) P.s. Sorry, Dont Know Why Each Word Gets Capitalized When I Post From My Phone..

#10 Kel123073

Kel123073
                  • Site Supporter
                  • 189 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:59 AM

@tristanc... Aww thanks it's funny because I didn't think it was that big a deal but a lot of friends and family were like omg u r letting her pick? @umassrn007 luv the swatches from Home Depot idea!!! Great color choice also!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users